james roffey

Re: Undercutting as a Marketing tool
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2012, 07:39:14 am »
I still remember the first time i went to quote for a job, after measuring the room i sat down with the calculator and when i pressed equal, i though how on earth can i charge that, it seemed to be an awful lot of money.
Anyway i told the lady how much it was and she said, fine and i booked my first job. sometimes i still feel like that when i give a price but i have an odd way of  dealing with it, if the calculator says its this much, then thats the price. of course i might do some extra for the customer as a gesture of good will but try to always avoid discounting
I have a set cost per ft that i got from Pete Sweeney who i spent some time with doing some practical training, he seemed to be doing well and i decided to charge the same as him.I am not saying its easy sometimes you have to explain why you are more expensive and sometimes you may not get the work but i have a goal to build a client base that will pay what i regard as a fair amount for an excellent job. it will probably grow a bit more slowly than if i charged less but i have managed to keep my head above water so far and am now out of hardest phase and already have returning customers and referrals.
I do think that if you body language, behaviour and tone of voice display apprehension  then the customer will pick up on this, if we all went to every quote thinking i am the best carpet cleaner and the customer is getting a bargain then we would all get more work. i am still aprehensive about the work looking for what can go wrong on every job thats after three years, but i must be doing something right, a customer who i have yet to identify said in a testimonial on the web that " i was honest" goodness knows what i did to warrant that remark but i think it shows that customers are looking for more than just that cheap price, of course i am not suggesting someone who charges cheap prices may be dishonest, but price isnt everything to the customer so stop behaving as though it is.

Colin Day

« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2012, 07:46:03 am »
Colin are you having an identity crisis ???

Dunno what you mean..... ;D

clinton

« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2012, 08:36:02 am »

All true that post what mike wrote.

Have been through that when i first started with the discount work as in my mind it was only a small job like the post that derek did with going to knock money off.

Tom Mac

« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2012, 08:29:58 am »
We just had a flyer through claiming they will clean a 3 bed house in 1hr and that includes the moving of all furniture. They also have a big logo saying they are the UK's No 1 independant carpet cleaners. I would love to know how they got that award as i cant see that they are members of any association. Their web site totally rubbishes all portable machines for any cleaning. The same company cleans all carpets at 260 degrees F. I thought it was illegal these days to mislead the public in false advertising.

John Kelly

« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2012, 09:01:36 am »
This industry is riddled with false claims. Only other cleaners can do something about it by complaining to trading standards. No good just phoning them up once they don't give a dam. You need to pester the life out of them until they act.

Craigp

« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2012, 09:13:40 am »
Are you talking about these? www.smartclean.net/

Ambitious company. Their area keeps growing!

Craigp

« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2012, 09:21:44 am »
Someone told me they have 4 TM s on the road two techs in each.

Can someone tell me how they are not VAT ?

Do think techs are self employed?

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2012, 01:09:38 pm »
I used to have a thing about domestic job tickets coming to over £200 just thought it was bit too much for the average family now I just let rip and give it them, a cleaner around my way charges £49 for 2 carpets which is far cheaper than me but he has no quarms about £200 job tickets albeit he may do more rooms for the money so I though bugger it and just went for it I may have lost a few but I made the same money on the extra profit. One of the Chemdry's close to me quotes over the phone and thinks nothing of quoting 3,4,5, hundred pounds for work to be carried out so it can be done you just have to have calls coming in and telephone skills and also no fear of rejection.

Shaun