Re: Banned!!
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2010, 10:27:24 pm »
Jas you know my number if i can help with anything steve
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

Mark Slaney

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2010, 10:27:29 pm »
  I got done about 6 months ago using a mobile whilst driving. Iv'e got 2 mobiles and was using one when the copper saw me, saw him turn around to come after me so threw the mobile under the seat of the van, when he pulled me over and accused me of being on my phone i said i hadn't and showed him the call display which hadn't been used for a couple of hours. He was just about to admit it was his mistake and go when the other mobile started ringing. Should have seen his smug face.

Mark.

jasonl

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2010, 10:31:49 pm »
 I got done about 6 months ago using a mobile whilst driving. Iv'e got 2 mobiles and was using one when the copper saw me, saw him turn around to come after me so threw the mobile under the seat of the van, when he pulled me over and accused me of being on my phone i said i hadn't and showed him the call display which hadn't been used for a couple of hours. He was just about to admit it was his mistake and go when the other mobile started ringing. Should have seen his smug face.

Mark.

I am selling my motorbike , gonna get a mountain bike with trailer to do local jobs , without the trailer I can get up to 40mph and can hold my phone while doing so, planning on doing this past the police station at the end of the road.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2010, 10:46:25 pm »
, Daily mail readers on here too!

I guess you had it coming from someone, and that someone would be a friend of an anti LM user. (just check back posts).
I've been nearly run off the road by 21 year olds....ban them
I've been nearly run off the road by 70 year olds...ban them
I've been nearly run off the road by females....ban them
I've been nearly run off the road by a car load of police on advanced training...ban them

Have I missed anyone out....lorry drivers, tractor drivers, farmers, bus drivers, taxi drivers, white van drivers etc etc etc

I know it's not clever and I know it's not right but I've used a mobile whilst driving and to the best of my knowledge I've never been in a near accident so should I be banned too. Sorry but life is full of risks and accidents do happen. With the best will in the world, thinking accidents should never or will ever happen again is pie in the sky, no matter how many rules are brought in.
I'm not expecting a reply from Ady as he only posts once every few months (normally in the negative).

John Higgins

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2010, 10:50:26 pm »
I was not on the phone!  I have hands free! I was holding my phone not making a call it was in my hand .   I am sure none on here ever commit a driving offence , my OP was to warn that you can get done for holding your phone.

Jason If you where not actually on phone but where just holding you phone
Your Mobile phone provider can prove this was the case with your telephone logs

the police will have loged the time of the effence and your mobile service provider
can produce  a log to prove you where neither making or recieving a call. a guilty verdict
is not set in stone but can be overturned with new evidence

derek west

« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2010, 11:13:51 pm »
it is illegal to hold a phone in your hand, even if your not using it.

here are the details for all to heed........

The law is changing to make driving safer.  From 1 December 2003 it became illegal to hold a mobile phone while driving in mainland Britain. The law applies to all motor vehicles.

From 27th February 2007, it is illegal to use a mobile phone with either a corded or Bluetooth headset if, while making or having a conversation, even if you're using a Bluetooth, you are not in proper control of your vehicle, then an offence has still been committed.

How this affects you

•You are breaking the law if you hold a mobile phone or other mobile device while driving. This includes cradling the phone on your shoulder, or holding it by any other means.
•It is illegal to hold a mobile phone or other mobile device any time your engine is switched on, even if the car is stationary, whether to make or take calls, send text messages, use wap or any other function.
•It is also an offence to hold a mobile phone or other mobile device while supervising a learner driver.
•It is an offence for someone to 'cause or permit' anyone else while driving to use a handheld mobile phone or other mobile device - this includes employers who require or expect their employees to make handheld mobile phone calls while driving.
•The only defence will be if you're dialling 999 in response to a genuine emergency and cannot stop safely to make a call. The initial fine will be £30 rising to a maximum of £1,000 (rising to £2,500 for drivers of commercial vehicles or vehicles which carry 9 or more passengers) if the case goes to court.

What can you use while driving?

As the driver must be holding the phone in order to commit an offence, you can continue to use hands free kits while driving (as long as the phone is not held while your engine is switched on). These include:

•Fully-integrated car kits with cradles
•Bluetooth headsets  (see note below about driving and proper control)
•Mobile devices with integrated loudspeakers (even if not used in conjunction with any other type of hands free equipment)

You should be aware that the police have advised that drivers could (and would) be prosecuted if they were using a hands-free or Bluetooth kit and deemed not to be in proper control of their vehicle as, an offence has still been committed. (Driving without due care and attention etc)

The Great One

« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2010, 11:35:46 pm »
Hi

Saw a guy in a van pass me last week, on his phone and driving with his elbows  ::)

Linds Russell

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2010, 01:08:47 am »
I used to work for Vodafone prior to cleaning carpets and I know that they have a department that works on behalf of the insurance companies and the police. It's their job to see if you had any type of mobile phone activity ie call, text, email, web browsing at the time of your crash or traffic incident and they can be called as professional witnesses if needed for court cases.

They are a very busy department by all accounts.
Linds

John Kelly

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2010, 07:43:02 am »
A friend of ours was killed whilst using a mobile. She was turning off the A1 and crossed in front of a lorry. I once went through a red light whilst hands free. They are killers no argument.

wynne jones

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2010, 08:30:42 am »
John

You could equally say, 'I did something silly in the car and I was listening to the radio, it's a killer' we are human and occasionally we make mistakes. Whatever is going on in the cab we will tend to assume it was that.

It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

robert meldrum

« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2010, 09:19:37 am »
When our judgement is compromised we are gambling with our own and other peoples lives. We tend to shrug off " close calls " too easily. They happen every day to us all and we get used to " near miss scenarios "  If you encounter them regularly you need to look hard at your driving skills and your self control.

Strange things happen to an awful lot of people behind the wheel of a car and most people are NOT good drivers. Usually the worst drivers are convinced they're the best.

I always thought I was a brilliant driver as I could drive very fast, brake late, never lose control, could drive through snow and ice when others couldn't.

I was good at physically driving a vehicle but that doesn't necessarily tranlate to driving safely on the road.                                                                                                                                                     

Had the pleasure of sitting beside Jackie Stewart many years ago on a drive through city and suburban trffic. Never exceeded the speed limit, no squeeling tyres, no "attitude" or impatience to other road users.

When I trained as a driving instructor I was fortunate to do so in Wimbledon with a team of former Traffic Cops. It changed my whole thinking about driving and I'm happy to say I've retained the skills I learned with them.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2010, 09:27:52 am »
I am one of these strange people who do not live by the mobile.

I do not take mine with me.

Or if I do I just phone in after the job is complete.

Regretably I do forget where it is,

Although I am extremely sorry you have been banned , which will now mean you have to take on staff , maybe you need to up size again.

I sit on a local Licensing Panel , what surprises me is the number of Taxi Drivers who have exceeded the points limit for speeding but apparently the Court did not take away their Driving Licence as its their lively hood.

We also have a Lord who exceeded his points limit think he was doing 110mph but he got away with it as he was Chair of the Playing Fields Association.

Obviously Carpet Cleaning is the wrong occupation or you had a bad Solicitor

JandS

« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2010, 10:18:11 am »
Neil

It's called minimising the risk.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

The Great One

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2010, 12:41:11 pm »
Hi

Not trying to add fuel to the fire, but just read this:

A criminology graduate was killed when she crashed her car after taking her eyes off the road to send a text message - an inquest has heard.

Tracy Wale was on her way to move into a flat with her partner when she collided with two cars on the A508, Northamptonshire in April.

Tracy, 22, who studied criminology and health at Northampton University, was also about to start a new job with Thames Valley Police.

Evidence suggested Tracy had driven into the path of oncoming traffic when she collided head on with first a Volkswagen Golf and then an Audi A6.

Martin

robert meldrum

« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2010, 02:37:37 pm »
After taking Advanced Driver Training I was in the company of a young scouser who " demonstrated " his amazing driving " skills "to me.

Problem was, he really believed what he was doing to be superior to any form of Advanced driving. He was a total muppet with serious and dangerous attitude problems and to make matters worse he'd just started working as a bus driver.

« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2010, 05:57:51 pm »
It's called minimising the risk.

Can't dispute that.
It's a shame Ian G wasn't on the licensing panel for driving instructors, because they really do my head in around here. I saw another classic today, as I was stuck behind some kid finding out that real driving is nothing like those computer games. In the half mile I was stuck behind this kid doing 25 mph in a 40 zone I saw the instructor reach across and help steer the car away from the kirb and away from the wrong side of the road 4 times. Sorry but that kid is not yet ready to be out there on a public road and for a professional driving instructor he should know better too.
That's dangerous but I bet no police car has ever pulled one of these over and issued even a warning >:(

richy27

« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2010, 06:01:07 pm »
i can drive with my knees while rolling a ciggy  check me out 

JandS

« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2010, 06:03:16 pm »
Round where I live in the last 18 months it's been like
driving instructor city.
Every body and their mothers are driving instructors.
Last week the wife saw the learner driver on her mobile
whilst driving up our avenue.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

M.Acorn

« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2010, 06:39:01 pm »
i can drive with my knees while rolling a ciggy  check me out 

;D
What goes around comes around

jasonl

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2010, 06:44:29 pm »
I can drive  from the top of my drive to the bottom , 15 metres !
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings