Steve.D

Whats the best way......
« on: July 12, 2005, 11:13:17 am »

.....to clean a window? I'm a bit confused with terms such as dog eared, detailing etc. Can one of you experts out there give some simple instructions  that will help a novice like me do a good job when I start.

I'm also thinking of cleaning frames as well as glass all in the price. Good idea or not, pro's and con's will be appreciated.

Go easy on me.

Spanner

Paul Coleman

Re: Whats the best way......
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 01:10:46 am »

.....to clean a window? I'm a bit confused with terms such as dog eared, detailing etc. Can one of you experts out there give some simple instructions  that will help a novice like me do a good job when I start.

I'm also thinking of cleaning frames as well as glass all in the price. Good idea or not, pro's and con's will be appreciated.

Go easy on me.

Spanner

How to clean a window is not easy to describe but fairly easy to show.  Everyone works a bit different.  It's about trying out the various ways and finding what feels right for you.
As for the frame cleaning - again everyone is different.  What I do is to let them know that I wipe the sills but that the price does NOT include a full frame clean.  If they want a full frame clean once or twice a year, I will supply it at around the same price as the window clean  (e.g. windows £10.  windows plus frames £20).  If the frames are in really bad shape, I reserve the right to charge more.  I also ask them to warn me on the previous visit when they want frames done as time can sometimes be tight.

tomtommy

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 10:02:43 am »
Hi, Spanner
We were in your position a couple of months back
Recommend you spend a hundred quid and go to the Window Cleaning Academy introductory course - we found it very valuable
Tom

Roy Harding

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 02:08:14 pm »
Hi spanner

Were you from, as someone on the forum may take you out for a day to give you some helpful tips.

Roy :)

Steve.D

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 06:35:45 pm »

Hi Roy

I'm in the Great Yarmouth area.

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 06:57:01 pm »
Spannerhead (sounds like a cruel school nick-name to me),

If you don't get any offers of help here, get your phone book and phone round some local window cleaners.

Offer them your services - free of charge - for a day (or two), just so you can learn the ropes.

It's how I started.

Perfectly Clean

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 11:52:34 pm »
Hi...
I have been going a couple of months now and getting a few regular customers...Was wondering if there was anybody in the Surrey area who would mind me tagging a long for a day...My main problem is speed and Im sure there are things which im doing which I could do better.

Many Thanks
Paul

Paul Coleman

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 06:28:35 pm »
Hi...
I have been going a couple of months now and getting a few regular customers...Was wondering if there was anybody in the Surrey area who would mind me tagging a long for a day...My main problem is speed and Im sure there are things which im doing which I could do better.

Many Thanks
Paul

I do most of my work around the Surrey/West Sussex border area - Crawley, Horley, Smallfield, Copthorne.  I don't do WFP.  I do traditional methods.  Any good to you?  What part of Surrey do you cover?