simon knight

Just back from A&E
« on: October 16, 2008, 04:10:03 pm »

Nope, didn't fall off ladder. Slipped with my scrapper and sliced open my wrist. Custy had to drive me in her car to A&E...blood all over the passenger seat.

Tetanus jab and 4 stitches later I'm most likely off work till next week and have to pay for her car to be cleaned.

Custy couldn't wait with me in A&E cos she had to do the school run so I had to get a taxi back to her place (cost £18) to collect my car only to find that I'd outstayed my welcome on the parking meter and got a £60 fine.

To crown it all I can't even have a beer to drown my sorrows because they gave me a course of anti-biotics in case of infection (I'd been using the scrapper to get off stubborn fly poo!).

Happy bloody days >:(

Re: Just back from A&E
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 04:16:27 pm »
You know whats coming from the wfp guys :P

Anyway, glad to hear your ok, even if your wallet isn;t :D

I take it you dont have a first aid kit with you? you could have wrapped your wrist up in that and tied a shoe lace round your upper arm to reduce the blood flow.

Still i guess you dont think of things like that at the time..  :-\

simon knight

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 04:22:22 pm »
You know whats coming from the wfp guys :P

Anyway, glad to hear your ok, even if your wallet isn;t :D

I take it you dont have a first aid kit with you? you could have wrapped your wrist up in that and tied a shoe lace round your upper arm to reduce the blood flow.

Still i guess you dont think of things like that at the time..  :-\

Mate I was flapping big time. I do have a couple of plasters in my wallet in case of the odd nick...but the blood..it was actually pumping out...yuk!

Tosh

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 04:24:17 pm »
you could have wrapped your wrist up in that and tied a shoe lace round your upper arm to reduce the blood flow.

That's a BIG 'no no'. Tourniquets are used as a LAST RESORT by trained medical people.

You should just apply pressure to the wound and elevate the limb; even if it is arterial bleeding (the blood will be red and pumping out in time with the heart beat).  

Of course you can use a bandage, even a scrim (try and keep it clean) and apply pressure to that.

Then pressure points (where an artery is close to a bone) can be used, if you know where they are.

But tourniquets cut off the blood supply and casualties have had limbs amputated after their use; when there was no real requirement for one.

Anyway, I bet you use a pair of pliers in future when changing scraper blades; I do after an similar (but not as bad) incident a few years ago.

Tosh

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 04:31:31 pm »
Anyway, Simon, It sounds like you had a corking day.

You could also contest the £60 fine; you've obviously got mitigating reasons; but that'll be a pain I know.

And are you sure you can't have a beer with those antibiotics?  Does it specifically say that on the bottle?  Some antibiotics are alcohol friendly.

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 04:36:50 pm »
thanks for the info TOSH! will remember that for the future.

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 04:37:49 pm »
Is the scraper okay or will you need a new one?

simon knight

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 04:45:07 pm »
Anyway, Simon, It sounds like you had a corking day.

You could also contest the £60 fine; you've obviously got mitigating reasons; but that'll be a pain I know.

And are you sure you can't have a beer with those antibiotics?  Does it specifically say that on the bottle?  Some antibiotics are alcohol friendly.

I might try and contest the fine.

I thought that if you're on antibiotics you should avoid booze...I didn't think to ask at the hospital. Maybe I'll get on the dog and ask the question ;D

Matt: Not sure if the scrapper is ok or not...it's still laying somewhere in her front garden. Actually that's a thought, I must phone up custy in case one of the kids pick it up!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 04:47:40 pm »
save the booze money your havig to pay out on the fines etc.  ;)

AJ

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 04:50:34 pm »

Matt: Not sure if the scrapper is ok or not...it's still laying somewhere in her front garden. Actually that's a thought, I must phone up custy in case one of the kids pick it up!!!!!

let em pick it up, maybe they will get the muck off the windows :) (and the blood)

Tosh

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 04:55:40 pm »
I sliced up my fingers with a scraper blade a few years ago just prior to a visit to the Birmingham NEC window Cleaning Show; and stuck the pictures up here.

And the night prior to going to Birmingham, I gave Terry Burrows (fastest window cleaner in the world - black belt karate expert - and on a stand at the Cleaning Show) a hard time on this forum about his daft haircut; and he wasn't best pleased with me.

I think I was threatened with physical violence; honest; he'd been getting a lot of stick, and I think I was the straw that broke the camel's arse!

But, after a bit of ass-kissing from me, he said he couldn't wait to meet me and 'shake my hand' (obviously very firmly!  :-[)  (Ouch).

Anyway, in Birmingham, I tried to avoid Terry like the plague, but another window cleaner grassed me up to Terry, loudly shouting, 'Terry, have you met Tosh yet?' (the sh]t) and I was 'collared' by him.

So I reckon my accident with a scraper was worse than yours!

jeff1

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 05:09:59 pm »
You should always carry a good first aid kit in your vehicle and I don't mean one with a couple of plasters and rusty safety pins in it.

Tosh is so right about Tourniquets being used as a last resort and about only to be used by trained medical staff.

NEVER apply a tourniquet unless the hemorrhage is so severe that it cannot be controlled in any other way. By the time the tourniquet is required, the victim will have lost a considerable amount of blood and may already be in shock, so Applying a tourniquet is a desperate move - only for the most dire emergencies where the choice between life and limb must be made.

Anyway Simon, I hope your wrist heals soon, get your self a plastic bag to cover your hand and wrist when you want to have a bath or shower, just helps keep the dressing dry, there not cheap anymore.

simon knight

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 05:36:48 pm »

Funny thing was that the nurse asked whether I'd done it deliberately ???

She said to keep it out of water for 48hrs, so I'm gonna use one of Mrs K's marigolds for my shower. Thank God it's the left wrist rather than the right which is the w@nking one ;D ;D ;D

By the way; phoned custy to thank her and tell her about scrapper somewhere in front garden. She found it and asks "do I want it back?" and apparently there's blood all up her garden path....

...don't think I'll charge her this time round ;D

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 05:41:31 pm »
that’s a pretty bad day you've had mate, hope you don’t loss to much sales with it, and everything heels up fast. You not got any gruesome pictures, a good safety poster for anyone with staff.

I once scraped my wrist on my ladders and it was a bit of a bleeder, but a big plaster sorted it, so about 100 miles from what yours must have been.

Have you came u with any wild stories for the scar, like I once hit the booze and joined a sueaside cult or had a knife fight with a mugger?

Joking aside, get well soon mate!

Gerard  :)

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 05:43:37 pm »
Ok, I was going to joke about the banking hand, but wasnt brave enouh to post it  :D

Funny stuff  ;D

Gerard

simon knight

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 05:50:18 pm »
Ok, I was going to joke about the banking hand, but wasnt brave enouh to post it  :D

Funny stuff  ;D

Gerard

Cheers mate. Oh yeah over time the scar will become "a shark attack whilst diving in the South Pacific..."

jeff1

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 05:50:46 pm »
You'll end up with slant eye's and buck teeth ;D

Tosh

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 05:54:29 pm »

That's what happened to me!  ;D

jeff1

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 06:00:31 pm »

That's what happened to me!  ;D
I don't believe that for one minute looking at that dress Tosh  ;D ;D slant eye's buck teeth and a geordie accent :o what a combination Lol

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 06:00:52 pm »

Funny stuff  ;D

Gerard

Cheers mate. Oh yeah over time the scar will become "a shark attack whilst diving in the South Pacific..."

Nice choice, ofcourse you'll have to add in that you picked its eyes out and dragged it back to shore by the tail, and made some water proof gloves out of it.

Gerard  :D