Wayne Thomas

Re: Pencil jets versus fan jets - the movie
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2008, 10:25:06 pm »
Wayne so you are after a waterfall effect ?

Yes, I prefer to see a clearly visible sheeting of water cascading down the glass so I know the job is left 100% clean with no comeback.
With the jets, rinsing too quickly you can cover all the glass but if you are too quick, you're left wondering if you used enough water and more chance of glass not being rinsed thoroughly enoughly because of a lack of water to rinse properly.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2008, 10:29:47 pm »
When I'm rinsing.... I go for Gardiner's method of cascading the water down the glass (but with brush on instead), combined with Groundhog's speed :)

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2008, 10:37:56 pm »
The video was made on window glass which is strongly hydrophobic. I chose those windows intentionally.

If you watch the video carefully, you'll see that the water running down the glass behaves in exactly the same way for both sets of jets. You only get the curtain effect on hydrophilic glass. On hydrophobic glass, the water always seems to run down in channels.

On hydrophilic glass, pencils and fans both produce the curtain effect, so there is no real difference.

The difference, to my way of thinking is on hydrophobic glass. With pencils, you have to watch very carefully, it takes a lot more effort and is slower. With fans, you can be absolutley 100% sure that the glass has been rinsed.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2008, 10:44:59 pm »
The video was made on window glass which is strongly hydrophobic. I chose those windows intentionally.

If you watch the video carefully, you'll see that the water running down the glass behaves in exactly the same way for both sets of jets. You only get the curtain effect on hydrophilic glass? On hydrophobic glass, the water always seems to run down in channels.

On hydrophilic glass, pencils and fans both produce the curtain effect, so there is no real difference.

The difference, to my way of thinking is on hydrophobic glass. With pencils, you have to watch very carefully, it takes a lot more effort and is slower. With fans, you can be absolutley 100% sure that the glass has been rinsed.

Wally....

Good video.  :)

Any chance you could do the same with hydroglobic glass. :)  99% of my work is hydroglobic. The only places I find hydrophobic is on some patio doors.  With fan jets you can cover the glass quickly which I agree on but what I am getting at is that it's hard to tell if the weight of the water is actually pulling the dirt/ grit down the glass with it as less water is used.

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2008, 10:53:04 pm »
Yes, OK.

I've got one window which is REALLY hydrophillic and shows colours as the water slowly creeps down the glass and evaporates from the upper edge. It's the same effect that you sometimes get when you see colours in a thin film of oil on water.

(You may have noticed the colours on oil stains on driveways just after a heavy rain. This is one of the problems of being a scientist: you can't see anything of this sort without becoming transfixed by it.)

paulscotney

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2008, 10:55:38 pm »
I changed from a Vikan oval with pencils and always rinsing off,  to a Salmon 11" with fans 5 weeks ago. I now normally rinse on with a high flow and haven't had any problems or complaints. (Or wet feet).

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2008, 10:57:56 pm »
I changed from a Vikan oval with pencils and always rinsing off,  to a Salmon 11" with fans 5 weeks ago. I now normally rinse on with a high flow and haven't had any problems or complaints. (Or wet feet).

Exactly the same scenario here, love fan jets now, so much better for rinsing, particularly on hydrophobic

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2008, 11:00:35 pm »

Salmon is a better brush than the Vikan :) OOps I've done it now with Vikan users :)

Some people love fans, others pencils. Very interested to read which works best for others and why they're convinced it's better than the other jets. :)

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2008, 11:06:43 pm »
... love fan jets now, so much better for rinsing, particularly on hydrophobic

I'm glad that you wrote that, Matt. It was exactly the thing I was investigating when I made the video.

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2008, 11:09:28 pm »
why they're convinced it's better than the other jets. :)

Because fans sheet even on hydrophobic generally, whereas pencils certainly dont.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2008, 11:13:38 pm »
Wally...

Just checked out your website, very good, impressive :)

prestigeclean

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2008, 09:09:25 am »
i,d love to see the result with 4 pencils which is what i use , you get an even coverage on the glass and a nice heavy flow regards alan

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2008, 12:13:44 pm »
i,d love to see the result with 4 pencils which is what i use , you get an even coverage on the glass and a nice heavy flow regards alan

Easy enough. Just get someone on the inside to make a quick video of you on the outside cleaning a window. Even a mobile phone video should be good enough to show * what's really going on.

* "what's really going on" ... it's easy to think you know what's happening, but you might be right and you might be wrong. Taking a video will show you what is REALLY hapening.

I have to say that I was surprised when I saw the video and noticed the water running down the glass. I'd expected it to be different for the two sets of jets, but it wasn't.