Pencil jets versus fan jets - the movie
« on: July 12, 2008, 01:49:16 pm »
I've seen lots of threads on this topic. I have brushes with both types and I have a definite preference for one over the other - particularly on hydrophobic glass.

But for those who don't have experience of both, this video might help.

www.wally-the-window-washer.co.uk/pencilsvsfans_0001.wmv

Actually, I think steve m was right. I need to get out more  ;D

LWC

Re: Pencil jets versus fan jets - the movie
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 02:20:08 pm »
good bid bud, those fans do look good at rinsing to be fair

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 02:34:50 pm »
First time I've seen fan ones.

Looks much better. :o

Must get some.

LWC

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 02:36:16 pm »
whats the "against" for the fan jets cause all i can see is good there

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 02:38:39 pm »

Wet feet!

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 02:46:51 pm »
Maybe it's finer spray, and you have to be careful because there's less weight of water pulling the dirt down?

Just a guess... :-\

jeff1

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 02:55:37 pm »
I've seen lots of threads on this topic. I have brushes with both types and I have a definite preference for one over the other - particularly on hydrophobic glass.

Nice one wally ;)
Can I pinch your video for the Training Academy? and I'll put your name as the supplier.

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 04:34:05 pm »

Nice one wally ;)
Can I pinch your video for the Training Academy? and I'll put your name as the supplier.

You're most welcome.

jeff1

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 05:27:27 pm »
Thank you Wally, all done. ;)

Rob_Mac

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 05:28:29 pm »
There is no down side to fan sprays.

Wally on the brushes that you have the fans on where are the fans situated. Our brushes are adapted and they sit just off the top edge of the brush, they look like they are coming from between the bristles.

Rob ;D

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 05:42:02 pm »
Its a good video.  I think fans are better for rinsing in general but when you have a window with vents on the frame, or even worse with vents just on the top of the window they can be a nightmare with over spray.

Simon.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 05:44:16 pm »
If you incorporate cleaning the vent on the initial cleans then this will not be an ongoing problem.

Rob ;D

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 05:59:09 pm »
If you incorporate cleaning the vent on the initial cleans then this will not be an ongoing problem.

Rob ;D
Muck still gets in there.

Best to totally avoid the things.

jaykie

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 07:16:11 pm »
I got a set of fan jets from WCW but they seem massive, after seeing vid i might give them a go on my vikan

Chris

Rob_Mac

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 07:23:23 pm »
Squeaky

That just is not the case - We always incorporated the vents in the initial clean and then re cleaned - 2 cleans on the property at one visit - the vents seldom caused problems.

If you are tring to work round dirty vents on every visit then that is certainly going to cause more problems in the long run.

You can flush vents on the first clean without ingress of water into the house and there will be less dirt/no dirt on the next clean.

If you aren't cleaning the vents at all then I can see why my business did so well - we cleaned the whole unit and never left the awkward bits. Problem areas ought to be a reason for making your business stand out from the competition and not an excuse to offer half a clean!!!!

Rob ;D

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2008, 07:53:49 pm »
Squeaky

That just is not the case - We always incorporated the vents in the initial clean and then re cleaned - 2 cleans on the property at one visit - the vents seldom caused problems.

If you are tring to work round dirty vents on every visit then that is certainly going to cause more problems in the long run.

You can flush vents on the first clean without ingress of water into the house and there will be less dirt/no dirt on the next clean.

If you aren't cleaning the vents at all then I can see why my business did so well - we cleaned the whole unit and never left the awkward bits. Problem areas ought to be a reason for making your business stand out from the competition and not an excuse to offer half a clean!!!!

Rob ;D
But at least i can 99% be sure of no spots or runs.
If you're doing vents you can't rely on the result.
So it may be half a job... ;)

NWH

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2008, 07:55:33 pm »
I stay away from vents and if i did do them i would tell the customer if you want these done you might get the odd mark or run.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 08:04:13 pm »
The success of my residential work and the value I sold it for speaks volumes for the quality of the service offered.

The amount of recommended cleans we picked up every week would stagger some. I have never struggled to gain weekly new customers, week in , week out.

I was always surprised by the ongoing growth but I just fell out of love with the residential sector.

I have seen your posts on the different problems you have had with your business development and lack of movement and they were never circumstances I could relate to. I would not employ someone to clean my windows if they did not do the whole unit!!!

I could be sure that 99% of the time there were never problems with my cleaning. If you have never attempted to clean vents ( then you must have some grubby tops) then you really cannot have any experience on cleaning them, as an ongoing concern, so anything you say on the post will only be supposition and would not be able to be backed up by experience.

Rob ;D

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2008, 08:32:48 pm »
I've tried both pencil and fan jets several times to make the comparisons. There are pros & cons with both.

Personally, I prefer pencil jets for 2 main reasons:
 1. They are more accurate.
 2. They allow more water through the jets which I prefer as I use a high waterflow and make full use of the weight of the water for rinsing which you won't get with fan jets.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2008, 10:12:27 pm »
Wayne so you are after a waterfall effect ?