Sir Squeaky

Grrrrr...pumps.
« on: June 27, 2008, 12:13:12 pm »
Well, would you believe it? (and I'm trying not to swear).

Another pump just stops.
This one lasted under 3 months. ::)

Working away and the flow stops.
Go back to the van and the pump has stopped.

I check the fuse on the top and it comes out in two pieces.
Not sure whether it broke then or as I was working, but no burnt smell.

I take the top off to get to the bit left inside, and it pulls half the internals with it, including some dangly magnets. (not sure whether they should dangle).

I get home, replace the fuse, and nothing.
It's probably repairable, but I certainly have no idea.

Meanwhile...
Grrrr. Another £80-odd quid. >:(

Ian Lancaster

Re: Grrrrr...pumps.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 12:55:44 pm »
You've got to be doing something wrong, Squeaky.  We've got 4 100psi Shurflo's and one 60psi Flojet,  the oldest is the Flojet, nearly 3 years now.

All working perfectly.

I've got a new spare sitting on the shelf - maybe that's the secret, if I didn't have they would all have broken down ;D

jeff1

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 01:17:56 pm »
Are you using a varistream squeeks

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 02:31:43 pm »
No, but pumps aren't built with a window cleaning controller in mind.

It may add a bit of life at the end, but it still shouldn't just stop after 10 weeks.

Xline Systems

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 02:34:55 pm »
is it just the pressure switch? fit a return to tank between the pump and outlet. this should make your pump life increase. ive not changed a pump on any of our vans in the last 6 years

twt

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 02:50:13 pm »

It may add a bit of life at the end, but it still shouldn't just stop after 10 weeks.

These pumps weren't built with window cleaning in mind full stop. I'm still on my original 60 psi pump and i know that when i haven't used a flow controller you can hear how much harder the pump is working.

Tosh

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 02:56:43 pm »

Plus the value of the lost earnings while it's broken and you're waiting for a replacement.

Roger, does your set up mirror Ian_Giles's?

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 03:15:17 pm »

Plus the value of the lost earnings while it's broken and you're waiting for a replacement.

Roger, does your set up mirror Ian_Giles's?
Correct. If I could have done more today I would have had the money for a new one. ::)

Yes, my set-up now is absolutely identical to Ian's.

Tosh

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 03:23:02 pm »
Could you try phoning the supplier to see if it's covered by a warranty?

Also, if you want REALLY fast delivery on an item, phone WINTECs NOW.  I bet they could have a new pump to you by tomorrow.

Honestly, mate, I'm really impressed with how quick they are to get orders sent out.

jeff1

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 03:37:57 pm »

Your dead right there sqeeks, but if its a williamson pump they invalidate there warranty if you don't have a controller fitted, this is in addition to the pressure switch that's fitted, its just another way out of the 12 month warranty supplied.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 05:15:00 pm »
You mean Roy? ;D
I doubt he's going to do that!

Jeff: It's a 60psi Shurflo.

Sanity

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 05:23:47 pm »
My 100psi Sureflo has started doing the same thing.  Stops mid flow for no apparent reason, nor any particualr time, then refuses to start again for a few minutes.

I have a feeling my membrane might be getting stuck somehow.  Clears after a few mins of tapping lightly and sucking of pipes...

alanwilson

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 07:10:22 pm »
squeeky - the 8000 series shurflo pumps are specifically built for window cleaning - much more durable than standard pumps - also if you get a varistream I promise you the problems will stop if you set it up right - we've 4 pumps in 2 vans, 4 varistreams, changed them all over to new pumps/varistreams this year but the old ones are still going strong - they are all used every day and worked quite hard at the same time.
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

Roy Harding

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 07:27:48 pm »
You mean Roy? ;D
I doubt he's going to do that!

Jeff: It's a 60psi Shurflo.

Hi Roger

The pump I sold you for £50 was brand new, but had been on the shelf in my garage for 12 months.

I might be able to help you out with a free Varistream and a pump, but cannot do any thing till sunday afternoon. As I just have to much on, I will ring you sunday afternoon.

Roy

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 07:35:44 pm »
So you remember last time your pump died Squeaky, and everyone told you that a flow controller would be a good idea,.... if everyone says it again will you try it this time?

;D ;D ;D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 07:40:57 pm »
FWIW my 60psi with by-pass loop (as supplied by Peter Fogwill) burnt out after 9 months of trolley use (200L a day tops) - my bro fitted a new switch thing and that lasted 3 months.

My present pump - 100psi with varistream (now 350/500L per day) has worked faultlessly for the last two and a half years ...

Varistream also saves on battery usage too.
It's a game of three halves!

Glyn H

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 08:10:20 pm »
We havent supplied Shurflos for about six years ---- have a guess why

dai

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 08:28:33 pm »
3 years now with my sureflo and Varistream. When you fit a Varistream you disable the pressure switch, so that can never burn out. Once a pressure switch is disabled, the PSI of the pump goes out the window. and it will in fact pump out a hell of a lot more pressure than the original PSI as this was only restricted by the pressure switch.
The only difference between the older pumps was the pressure switch setting, the 100psi and 60 psi were identical apart from the switch.
The Dutch are now demanding 150 PSI pumps, I can't for the life of me understand why, and neither can Williams's.

groundhog

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 09:10:08 pm »
My 60psi flojet finally died this week after just over 3 years hard graft, never used a varistream just a bypass which works very well, ordered a new pump from cleantech on tuesday, they only sell shurflo, i was promised that the new pump would arrive on wednesday which it didn't, i phoned on thursday and was told 'oh sorry we didn't realise but they were out of stock when you ordered but it should be with you by friday'!! >:( Not happy but soldiered on using the dreaded backpack for another day, pump finally arrives 11am on friday, connected it up but found out that they had not included the T junction that they promised for my bypass!!! >:( so i just connected it up as it was, the flow rate seems a lot less than the flojet i am used to, and the flow seems to vary a lot for some reason, i phoned cleantech and was told that is how it is supposed to be, and that they will send me out a T junction, although i cant really see the need for a bypass now as the flow rate is so feeble anyway. All in all I am not happy with this pump at all compared to my old flojet, and the usually good service from cleantech was on this ocassion  very poor,  I feel i have wasted £80 on this pump, and wish i had got another flojet!! Does anyone else find this with the shurflo pump?

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 09:13:52 pm »
I've a 100psi sureflow pump, but I've adjusted the pressure switch down to 65 PSI (Still plenty enough to push water to the top of a 60' pole) and I use one of the old flowmaster controllers.

Its been going over a year now with no problems at all.