BVC

Substance abuse in Blackburn!!!
« on: May 10, 2008, 09:25:06 am »

Description  Seller assumes all responsibility for listing this item. 

Found this on ebay. I think the "rights" make it a bargain!!!!!!! ;D

"hiya for sale i have a window cleaning round in the blacburn area it takes me 5-6 hours to do for a £75-80 return . i clean the windows once a fortnight on a thursday so for two days work a month i get around £150-£160 a month . There is also  a chance to make this round bigger if you want as i have the rights to do 2 other street but not had time due to other work commitments i am looking for around £1100 . if you want to know more please contact me on  07706804339 . cheers " :o

Chris Cottrell

Re: Substance abuse in Blackburn!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 09:32:51 am »
 :o :o

this guys on another planet imo

matt

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 09:34:44 am »
£150-£160 a month for 1100 quid

thats it, im out door knocking then, i should be able to retire this year

BVC

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 09:37:44 am »
Dont worry about retireing why not just work the whole year for free to pay off the work you just bought. Dont forget youll have the rights to 2 other roads!! ;D

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 09:51:38 am »
believe it or not guys that is the ratio (10x for monthly & 20x for fortnightly) that rounds actually sell for in some areas, thats why i travel over an hour to get work i can afford. they actually will pull you off your ladders if you stray onto their patch. not all window cleaners, but it's not unusual in that locality. usually tho its common to accept 15x & 7x. don't believe me? ring bj supplies in blackburn  & browns in brierfield and ask what's on the boards.

cheers

shaun

BVC

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 11:54:02 am »
What a joke. You would have to be out of your mind to pay 10 times what the round was worth. Not disputing it happens but you would have to be mad.

and as far a rights are concerned you can shove them up your jacksy. when you buy work you are only buying goodwill. I think that is well reflected in the fact that you cant even claim the money spent on a round as an expense. (the work I mean not the assets, i.e equipment)

10 times the value is madness, the average wc as far as I know earns 2 grand a month, thats 20k to become a wc!!!!!.

Just have to say I am real grateful to live where I do, and able to canvass where I want and when I want and even get help from fellow window cleaners when I need It.

No offense but If I was in this position I would change jobs or move.

BVC

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 12:01:53 pm »
shaun

not saying you are mad just the situation.

BVC

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 12:14:14 pm »
second round i bought was 10x the fortnightly pay which is what i believe is the right amount e.g £200 a fortnight = £2000 although rounds i have bought since then i have bought at a right bargain so i would never buy at that rate ever again...

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 12:33:20 pm »
i agree...never heard of buying or having rights to streets, you either clean a street or not. i also agree that the ratios are way too much. thats why i travel. i think 3x for normal and 5x for the dogzb******s is acceptable. i think the prices are so high because of the high unemployment and deprived areas. the rounds that go up for sale are generally quite small...highest i've seen recently is £800 per month. like i said, its like the wild west round there, i know of a couple of window cleaners who have been done for violence against other window cleaners over turf rights, madness because they all ended up in court with injunctions, so the victim ended up getting the work in the end, one was as far way as skipton. anybody else know of areas like it round here

cheers

shaun

Ian_Giles

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 12:45:51 pm »
I've no real comment to make on the round for sale, best of luck to him if he thinks he can sell it at all, for me it is way too little work.

But were I to ever sell my round (and I've no plans too) I would want far, far more than 3 times its monthly value, so far as I'm concerned I've never heard such utter tripe as selling a business for such a paltry sum.
And yes, I know a great many buy and sell rounds for these kind of figures.

I have no wish to divulge the value of my round on here, but for someone to buy it for three times its monthly value, and then within 6 months to be in profit...well, I can't think of any other kind of business you could buy into and and be in the black so quickly.

It doesn't matter one whit in my opinion as to whether or not all you are buying is 'goodwill' because at the end of the day - at least in my case - you are buying a very long established business which will return you a bloody good income, a business with excellent cash flow too, so from the moment you but it you have money coming through the door.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 01:12:14 pm »
i would never buy such a small round, not worth it i could pick up that in an afternoon if i had room to squeeze it i...

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 01:14:56 pm »
and by the way 3x and 5x is absolute rubbish, its crap.... its 10x on fortnightly..

Ian_Giles

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 02:08:54 pm »
No matter what business you buy into, it's true value is it's profitability, the bigger the profit margins the more you should expect to have to pay.

A window cleaning round could be worth 50k + in turnover but it would be worth only pennies if it's profit margins were next to useless.
If it meant 2 people working 10 hour days, 6 days a week you'd be really grafting for what money you could get out of it.
On the other hand if one person could do it working a 6 hour day, 4 days a week then that same round would be worth huge amounts of money.

Then of course you have the various round builders, now that is very different, I'd only pay 3 times the value for something like that because it would be work without any roots to hold it in place.

A round 25 years old with top earning, long standing customers is going to have way more value than a round built up over just a few months.

There are so many variables in buying a round, there really are....

Ian

TennetClean

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 02:46:28 pm »
...will return you a bloody good income, a business with excellent cash flow too, so from the moment you but it you have money coming through the door.

sure I hear what you are saying, but its also not rocket science to go out and canvass decent work for yourself.  the fact that a window cleaning business can be started by anybody just by knocking on doors reduces the sum that people will be willing to pay.

I have bought and sold rounds in the past, and even for TOP QUALITY very very good priced work i have paid 3x monthly value.  Yes theres not many businesses you can buy and be inprofit after 3 months, but its also easy enough to do yourself without needing to buy it.
My friends call me Tuppence Clean

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 02:51:33 pm »
tennents clean you just need to leave and do us all  a favour......

Ian_Giles

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008, 03:04:02 pm »
...will return you a bloody good income, a business with excellent cash flow too, so from the moment you but it you have money coming through the door.

sure I hear what you are saying, but its also not rocket science to go out and canvass decent work for yourself.  the fact that a window cleaning business can be started by anybody just by knocking on doors reduces the sum that people will be willing to pay.

I have bought and sold rounds in the past, and even for TOP QUALITY very very good priced work i have paid 3x monthly value.  Yes theres not many businesses you can buy and be inprofit after 3 months, but its also easy enough to do yourself without needing to buy it.

But that is just it...it ISN'T easy to canvass up a round, and it takes many years to develop it and hone it to the point that it is a top round.
you personally have a talent for getting in work and building a round, but you are the exception and not the rule.

Squeaky knows a fair bit about my round, and he would die to be able to have it, mind you, he wouldn't be able to afford the asking price!

Tiny rounds that haven't been going long, or rounds built up purely for the purpose of selling them on are never going to be worth anything like a long established round.

Ian

Rob_Mac

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 03:16:12 pm »
Ian

As someone who has just sold a round I am in agreement with you.

My round was seven years in the making, seven long, hard and uphill years.  It was a phenomenal business, with tightly concentrated work, lots of small commercial throughout it and a string of smaller supermarkets done every week for cash at the end of the month.

I sold my round for a substantial amount of money - 3x you have got to be kidding.

I guess there is cream and their is real cream. I sold my round for a high end five figure amount and it was still cheap at that price.

Rob ;D

007 or what

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 03:50:21 pm »
 :o :o :o

poleman

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2008, 04:05:47 pm »
:o :o :o
Shock! look at this one local to us. Asking Price: £90,000 + VAT  :o

www.windowcleaningroundforsale.co.uk

Posted 29/04/08
Type: Domestic and Commercial.
Monthly Average Value: £11,000
Established For: Up to 10 years
Comments: 70% Water fed pole work. 30% Communal hall cleaning in flats. Returns an inome of £30,00 per annum minimum for owner without working manually and only 1 day admin a week maximum. (If you wish to employ two people to do the work as is the case by current owner.) Comes with 2 vans/2 employees with wfp systems etc. as a going concern. Genuine interest only please.
Asking Price: £90,000 + VAT
Contact Details: Andy Bufton  08000 432570 or 07903294715    Send Email

BVC

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2008, 04:06:50 pm »
and by the way 3x and 5x is absolute rubbish, its crap.... its 10x on fortnightly..

yeah but doesnt this guy on ebay want 20X the fortnightly value?

BVC

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2008, 04:11:30 pm »
There is definately a difference betweeen a business and a list of customers. a list of 150 quids worth of customers is worthless imo. An established business is a whole different ball game. The muppet on ebay is havin a laugh.

BVC

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2008, 04:12:43 pm »
No matter what business you buy into, it's true value is it's profitability, the bigger the profit margins the more you should expect to have to pay.

A window cleaning round could be worth 50k + in turnover but it would be worth only pennies if it's profit margins were next to useless.
If it meant 2 people working 10 hour days, 6 days a week you'd be really grafting for what money you could get out of it.
On the other hand if one person could do it working a 6 hour day, 4 days a week then that same round would be worth huge amounts of money.

Then of course you have the various round builders, now that is very different, I'd only pay 3 times the value for something like that because it would be work without any roots to hold it in place.

A round 25 years old with top earning, long standing customers is going to have way more value than a round built up over just a few months.

There are so many variables in buying a round, there really are....

Ian

TURNOVER IS VANITY PROFIT IS SANITY :)

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2008, 05:26:34 pm »
paul...its not crap its same figures as you, 3x monthly 6x fortnightly and for good stuff 5x monthly 10x fortnightly...same as what you said. i will tell you all now i know he WILL get his money but probably only about 15x to 18x fortnightly, i know that area well and know that all streets are cleaned and guarded zealously. so someone will buy it to tag onto there existing round, he's just worded the ad badly and is dreaming if someone will pay for streets that he hasn't cleaned.

shaun

davids3511

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2008, 05:35:30 pm »
Wondering how he can justify his position over the streets he hasn't cleaned. If he has the 'rights' but doesn't clean then what are the householders supposed to do?

I would like so see him try and drag me off a ladder in that situation. He would end up with just a few steps showing out his backside!

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2008, 06:54:48 pm »
paul...its not crap its same figures as you, 3x monthly 6x fortnightly and for good stuff 5x monthly 10x fortnightly...same as what you said. i will tell you all now i know he WILL get his money but probably only about 15x to 18x fortnightly, i know that area well and know that all streets are cleaned and guarded zealously. so someone will buy it to tag onto there existing round, he's just worded the ad badly and is dreaming if someone will pay for streets that he hasn't cleaned.

shaun

sorry mate thought you meant monthly my apologies

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2008, 06:57:50 pm »
your right i bought my first round (v lucky) £400 per week for £1000 some numpty i have bought about 4 since then only one of them being 10x and that is the pocket money round for me ( never again) i pick up all my work 1700 a week 3 and half days

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2008, 08:06:51 pm »
this is how bad it is in the area i live in. about 6 or 7 years ago a new housing estate was being built, so i thought that i would flyer it (naively), got a few phone calls...great, gets one that asks me to go down and price it that evening, goes down the road which was dark as no lights on there yet....two blokes jump me, pinned me to the floor , said they would kill me if i tried to poach that estate again, smashed my phone and gave me a black eye, police couldn't do anything as no witnesses. now i am of the opinion that anybody can flyer any work, if the current window cleaner is doing a good job its not a problem, am i right or do you agree with the gangster approach like in my area.
cheers

shaun

Paul Coleman

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2008, 08:13:22 pm »
What a joke. You would have to be out of your mind to pay 10 times what the round was worth. Not disputing it happens but you would have to be mad.

and as far a rights are concerned you can shove them up your jacksy. when you buy work you are only buying goodwill. I think that is well reflected in the fact that you cant even claim the money spent on a round as an expense. (the work I mean not the assets, i.e equipment)

10 times the value is madness, the average wc as far as I know earns 2 grand a month, thats 20k to become a wc!!!!!.

Just have to say I am real grateful to live where I do, and able to canvass where I want and when I want and even get help from fellow window cleaners when I need It.

No offense but If I was in this position I would change jobs or move.

I realise that you may have trouble believing this but I would not sell my round for 10x monthly income as it's far more valuable to me than that.  There are some very good bits in it but I don't think it's particularly special.  Bear in mind that if I were to sell it at 10x, I would be giving up my entire income for less than a year's turnover.  That would only be a good result for me if I was retiring or moving away.

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2008, 09:17:13 pm »
trade description act surely ???
how is 5 to 6 hrs and 80 quid a "round"
thats a job
not a round ::)
as for all this 10x value stuff,i really have missed out and messed up :(
rough guess i have passed on £1500 worh of work over last 4 yrs
FOR FREE ;D :o ::)
dont really know how i feel about that
it was all monthly
anybody want to really pee me off and tell me how much they could have got for it in their area ???

dai

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2008, 09:24:05 pm »
Well one interesting fact emerges from these posts.
1] You can't claim money paid out for a round as a business expense.
2] Another guy wants to sell a round for £90,000+VAT.

Would the tax man be interested in the money you receive for selling it? I bet he would, especially the VAT bit.
Guys spend years in Uni in the hope of getting a job that pays like ours, and end up thousands in debt.
A guy buying a good round is earning good money from day one.
A good round is the best investment you could make, and should be valued as such. Dai

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2008, 10:37:58 pm »
actually its
£2157
just reckoned it up
 ::)

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2008, 10:55:05 pm »
tennents clean you just need to leave and do us all  a favour......

just spotted ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D pmsl

BVC

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2008, 06:49:36 pm »
trade description act surely ???
how is 5 to 6 hrs and 80 quid a "round"
thats a job
not a round ::)
as for all this 10x value stuff,i really have missed out and messed up :(
rough guess i have passed on £1500 worh of work over last 4 yrs
FOR FREE ;D :o ::)
dont really know how i feel about that
it was all monthly
anybody want to really pee me off and tell me how much they could have got for it in their area ???

Dont worry about it mate. I helped a mate when I moved away from the area. Gave him my round 2500 per month just said to look after it. Asked him 3 months later how he was getting on and he said he hadnt got round to doing it yet. didnt even ring me to tell me he wasnt doing it.
2 years later done exactly the same for another mate only for him to sell it on to someone else 6 months later for x2. Didnt even buy me a pint.!!!!!

hope that makes you feel a bit better

BVC