clean

who can`t cope
« on: January 14, 2008, 06:27:19 pm »
With all this rain we are having and it looks like it`s going to be here for a while longer is it causing any real problems for anyone,i don`t mind working in the rain up to a point but i`m not going to let it stop me completley as we all have our own bills to pay,is anyone starting to get a bit concerned ?

Rob_Mac

Re: who can`t cope
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 06:31:38 pm »
On our local news it has just shown rain for the rest of the week

Get your waterproofs on and get on with it

Rob ;D

LWC

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 06:35:04 pm »
i can cope but it dam well annoys me, especially when im sitting around, paying my employee to sit round doh!

hes fair though so that good

Majestic

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 06:38:01 pm »
The rain wasnt to bad here today , it was the wind.
It was hard work keeping my pole up

Londoner

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 06:38:28 pm »
You have all heard the expression "Put something away for a rainy day". Rain is just a fact of life, you have to allow for it.

LWC

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 06:40:31 pm »
typical i get a £500 bill for my van coming wednesday hey

sussex187

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 06:44:42 pm »
You have all heard the expression "Put something away for a rainy day". Rain is just a fact of life, you have to allow for it.

rainy day you can put away for pretty much rain solid for 2 weeks after xmas not so easy lol

would not say i cant cope but it certainly plays on ur mind a bit

Londoner

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 06:57:14 pm »
Yes and we are all in the same boat. The point is if you live that close to the edge that you can't afford a few idle days then you are going to get clobbered this time of year.

I went out Sunday to do some catch up after last Thursday and Friday were washed out. You can bet the "Who me? work weekends? No way!" brigade weren't out.

Blackbushe Windows

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 07:20:34 pm »
Remember in the early 80's I lost a whole month, snow fell, below zero day and night, just didn't let up. At least with the rain it's wet one day and dry the next (sometimes)

Peter
Blackbushe Windows.
Est. 1983
www.blackbushewindows.co.uk

Rob_Mac

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 07:29:17 pm »
Diversification is the key

We have been working outside for years now and without a doubt we are getting extended periods of rain that seem to be worse year after year.

Is the answer to look at the sky every time we get a downpour and go back in the house and lose money, by not working.

Or are there other ways of dealing with it;

Rain guarantees have proven that they work and the reality is that the only people who don't lke us working in the rain is ourselves. The customers may moan but they will get used to it. We work in the rain and I earn no less money for it raining.

Diversification - Look at a low cost start up that can be run alongside what you are currently doing - carpet cleaning, something online, an angle that will not be affected by black clouds and start marketing and developing that line till it has a income comparable to what you are currently earning.

We have just invested in something that I believe will be the future of our business, whilst still retaining a strong presence with our residential workload and our commercial national work.

The cost to me so far is around the £800.00 mark - I have got to have a website created and then market in magazines and other areas.

I am not going to say whay we are doing because I want to establish a market first but I am saying because It doesn't have to cost thousands to look at another avenue.

I need to make sure my investment is solid but I genuinely believe it can only make money in the right hands and when I have this avenue of money coming in I definately will have no concern over the weather.

If you wait for the weather to stop you earning and then do nothing about it when it hits  and you keep doing nothing but losing money and don't learn from it and adapt youselves, then you only have yourself to blame.

If you went out to work for a period of two weeks worth of rain and lets say you earnt 100.00 per day over this period and you worked 14 days then you would have 1400.00 put on one side that you would not have earnt.

Use this money to look at alternatives and you are on your way to creating a solution

Good luck

Rob ;D

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 07:35:31 pm »
We are pretty lucky here in Lincs.
When its raining hard in the west theres not much left by the time it gets here
 ;)
Not Perfect - But Honest

pootwo

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 07:57:59 pm »
8 years & onley 2 days rolled over .holidays, just  carey on wear i left off so 48 or 47 weeks work / one day wos frost the other wos rian

Rob.Hall

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 08:53:25 pm »
Like that Dave  ;)

NWH

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 09:00:48 pm »
If your worried about customers wondering where you are don`t worry they know,they have window`s you clean them and just latley when they`ve been looking out of them it`s been raining.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 10:15:07 pm »
With all this rain we are having and it looks like it`s going to be here for a while longer is it causing any real problems for anyone,i don`t mind working in the rain up to a point but i`m not going to let it stop me completley as we all have our own bills to pay,is anyone starting to get a bit concerned ?

I work through most of it.  It cost me a customer today and it had almost stopped raining at the time.  It's more profitable to work in the rain and lose the occasional customer than it is to stop work because of it.  She wouldn't let me start so I suggested she try to contact her previous window cleaner.  Easy decision when it's one job on its own where the access is sometimes unreliable.  Perhaps a bit trickier on more compact work.  Got to think with a business head these days - not think like a customer.

macmac

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 11:16:24 pm »
Yes and we are all in the same boat. The point is if you live that close to the edge that you can't afford a few idle days then you are going to get clobbered this time of year.

I went out Sunday to do some catch up after last Thursday and Friday were washed out. You can bet the "Who me? work weekends? No way!" brigade weren't out.

So, if you "don't live that close to the edge" & like you say "put money away for a rainy day", why were you out working on a sunday trying to catch up from thursday/friday?

tony

matt

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 11:23:05 pm »

So, if you "don't live that close to the edge" & like you say "put money away for a rainy day", why were you out working on a sunday trying to catch up from thursday/friday?

tony

i wondered that aswell

macmac

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 11:25:07 pm »

tony

i wondered that aswell

;D ;D ;D
This forum is better than little britain sometimes :D

tony

supernova77

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 12:34:33 am »
It was hard work keeping my pole up

Thats what she said!

;)

Tim Rose

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 07:04:37 am »
If I had a w/c and he/she/it turned up when it's raining I'd tell them to ;k off!