Slacky

Re: Buy an electric hose reel or make another ?
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2019, 09:11:21 am »
I’ve had both. I’m currently using a home made one after my Grippa supplies one gave up the ghost.

This home made one once sorted of teething problems has been great. I’d go down that route again.

It’s the teething problems you need to get over but once you’re aware of this stuff and have worked through it previously why not?

dazmond

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2019, 09:13:02 am »
Sorry Daz, I also would have to disagree on your point as well.
All you need is a motor, a cog and a chain!  Haha its not rocket science but a shop bought one will obviously make theirs more fancier to justify the price tag that goes with it and to cover their backs with insurances etc.

If you want a work vehicle for display purposes (sole trader) then get your van kitted out with all the flashing lights (or blue strip lights which seem to be the latest fad for wfp'ers) and 5 grand heaters in.  So other shiners can be awe at the kit!
But in reality, its a work horse that transports our equipmemt of water and a means to apply that to the window and clean, so who really cares what equipment is in the van apart from the next scumbag  wanting to nick it from seeingbeveryone show off on facebook and the likes lol

ive had the cheap old vans like yours nathan  (with stick on van magnets too!),DIY systems,cobbled together gas shower heaters,fibreglass/aluminium poles,cheap claber reels,etc,etc.......yes they work just like the more professional,expensive gear but its just much easier/less faff and equipment lasts longer(with the exception of xtreme poles and brushes)than DIY stuff.....also proper sign writing with a logo looks far more professional than van magnets IMO.....

whatever works for you....but from my experience scrimping on decent gear is not the way forward.the good WFP companies like gardiners,pure freedom and grippatank  will make your job easier with less faff and make you look more professional.thats got to be a good thing IMO.......
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2019, 09:14:42 am »
I’ve had both. I’m currently using a home made one after my Grippa supplies one gave up the ghost.

This home made one once sorted of teething problems has been great. I’d go down that route again.

It’s the teething problems you need to get over but once you’re aware of this stuff and have worked through it previously why not?

I thought you had a PF reelmaster?not a grippa reel?

NWH

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2019, 12:04:31 pm »
My Mrs said to me for goodness sake you are outside faffing about with that machine longer than you are working just buy a new 1 lol,plug in charge no lifting get in the van in the morning turn machine-heater on I’m away,it all takes seconds. Gas heaters leak water and gas,and last no time at all they are not designed to be running anywhere near the amount of time we use them over the course of a day. As for the reel when it turns up at the door you’ll have it working in the time it takes to put the hose on it.

dazmond

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2019, 01:37:57 pm »
Didn’t you have lots of trouble with yours Daz?

Darran

yep...the chain kept coming off!i adjusted it and it was still the same....in the end PF changed all the working parts and its never missed a beat for over 12 months now......👍

dazmond

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2019, 01:42:11 pm »
Use a drill, it’s way I have done it for 10 years.

really?...........its £500-£700 for a decent electric reel...its hardly gonna break the bank.....some of you really are proper cheapskates..... ;D
Says the person who has been making poles up from used sections ;D ;)

i have a few made up of various sections from different poles..... ;D...however they are "emergency poles" now as ive just bought a new xtreme 25.... ;D

koopmaster

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2019, 11:20:24 am »
DIY reel or not it still has to be aligned correctly.  Mine is DIY electric motor on a winch wireless remote and comes off twice a week but the wood is warping now on the base but I already have a plastic section all ready to replace the wooden base.  I'll probably do it this weekend.  I also want to replace the wiring with a newer model of remote switch with build in relay.

tillwill

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2021, 04:51:42 am »
Did anyone here use Giraffe retractable garden hose reel? I consider buying it, but it is a little pricy and I really wanna be sure that it worth the money.

Spruce

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2021, 07:47:19 am »
Did anyone here use Giraffe retractable garden hose reel? I consider buying it, but it is a little pricy and I really wanna be sure that it worth the money.

Don't waste your money. It's designed for 1/2" garden hose. It's not designed for the abuse a hose reel will get for everyday window cleaning.
A supplier used to fit a similar Hoselok reel  on his trailer system in the UK, but it was the first thing that broke. People tend to water their gardens during summer when the hose is warmer and more flexible. In winter that hose is as stiff as wire so not very manageable.

Ask us. We started window cleaning before minibore and microbore hose was being marketed to window cleaners. The only thing we had was 1/2" garden hose. What a nightmare to use in winter.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

dd

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2021, 05:57:59 pm »
Didn’t you have lots of trouble with yours Daz?

Darran

yep...the chain kept coming off!i adjusted it and it was still the same....in the end PF changed all the working parts and its never missed a beat for over 12 months now......👍
Sounds a bit like Triggers's broom.

swanson

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2021, 08:46:58 am »
I’ve just bought the power up 3D electric reel
From window cleaning warehouse
Brilliant okay it was over £500  but well worth the money.
You all brag about how much money you earn. Well start spending some on decent equipment.

dazmond

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2021, 10:10:11 am »
I’ve just bought the power up 3D electric reel
From window cleaning warehouse
Brilliant okay it was over £500  but well worth the money.
You all brag about how much money you earn. Well start spending some on decent equipment.

i thought you were selling up?changed your mind have you? :)

i hope they ve ironed out all the problems with the 3D reels,what type of switch have you got?and is the inside of the reel alloy instead of plastic now?

Stoots

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2021, 03:42:14 pm »
Still got a D.I.Y one, cant see the advantage in buying one.

The big difference i made was using a pure freedom reel instead of the old clover ones, it makes for a much better leccy reel.

swanson

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2021, 03:48:26 pm »
I did have a bit of a clear out.
And sold  some of my round.
But I’m still hanging in there.
Despite all the crappy weather lately