Stoots

Buy an electric hose reel or make another ?
« on: October 07, 2019, 05:39:14 pm »
So my hose reel got snapped today  :-X, decided to just get a new hose and reel as my reel is old and dropping to bits. Its a metal clover leaf type one.

I have made it into a electric reel but lately it had become very wonky and started spitting the chain off quite regularly

For those that use the water works or similar do you think they are worth the money ? how good are the actual reels ?

Or should i make another d.i.y one, if so can anyone recommend a better quality reel to use for it ? i think the clover ones are ok but could be smoother

Spotfree

Re: Buy an electric hose reel or make another ?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 06:44:00 pm »
So my hose reel got snapped today  :-X, decided to just get a new hose and reel as my reel is old and dropping to bits. Its a metal clover leaf type one.

I have made it into a electric reel but lately it had become very wonky and started spitting the chain off quite regularly

For those that use the water works or similar do you think they are worth the money ? how good are the actual reels ?

Or should i make another d.i.y one, if so can anyone recommend a better quality reel to use for it ? i think the clover ones are ok but could be smoother

You just need to line the sprockets up right, I made two, 2 years ago and they're smashing still. One was made a bit better than the other though, its not lined up 100%. it doesn't run as smooth as the other one but it still works perfectly.

They were a pain to make though, and I threaded two spindles whilst doing it. To buy they are expensive...

Shrek

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 07:18:12 pm »
My pure freedom reel is one of the best things iv ever bought. 0% credit card and spread the payment over a year, then it doesn’t feel like a big chunk coming out your account

Stoots

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 07:21:40 pm »
My pure freedom reel is one of the best things iv ever bought. 0% credit card and spread the payment over a year, then it doesn’t feel like a big chunk coming out your account

See thats the feeling i dont want   :'(

Stoots

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 07:24:27 pm »

You just need to line the sprockets up right, I made two, 2 years ago and they're smashing still. One was made a bit better than the other though, its not lined up 100%. it doesn't run as smooth as the other one but it still works perfectly.

They were a pain to make though, and I threaded two spindles whilst doing it. To buy they are expensive...

It been fine for over a year but recently its doing my head in.

I will try and make my spare reel work before buying another then save some brass  ;D

nathankaye

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 07:31:48 pm »
Make another one now buddy,  your a little more experienced with it and so 2.0 will be better
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Lee GLS

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 07:52:40 pm »
Use a drill, it’s way I have done it for 10 years.

Spotfree

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 07:54:11 pm »
Thats why my second reel is better than the first one I made and was much quicker and easier to do.

a900

SB Cleaning

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 09:29:38 pm »
I have a waterworks reel.

Brilliant.

High-Tower

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 09:56:41 am »
I bought probably the only secondhand waterworks reel I’ve ever seen for sale, and it’s spot on too! I had to align the motor once I’d fitted it into place but it is very simple to do. And I had a loose connection in the junction box which was a simple fix too.

zesty

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 07:36:13 pm »
I’m revamping my system soon Adam, think I’m going for the pure freedom reel master.

Rung them today for a quote on a few things as well as the hose reel, was suprised how expensive it all was, but I’m wanting to reduce tax bill so it will help by spending a fair bit on new kit, as well as making my working life easier/better.

I’m planning on getting the swivel base and mounting the reel on top a new lay flat tank (I currently have an upright tank) it’ll be positioned near the side loading door, but also means I can ‘swivel’ it to face the rear doors. Best of both worlds then.

Currently I work out the rear door only.

I’d probably go DIY again if I wasn’t planning on changing most of my system....

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 09:14:29 pm »

really?...........its £500-£700 for a decent electric reel...its hardly gonna break the bank.....some of you really are proper cheapskates..... ;D
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2019, 09:23:06 pm »

It been fine for over a year but recently its doing my head in.

I will try and make my spare reel work before buying another then save some brass  ;D

carry on if  you like all the extra faffing about that comes with  buying cheaper parts/inferior reels and building things yourself...it very rarely pays off in the long run though esp if you plan on staying a window cleaner for the next 10 years or so......unless you enjoy DIY and treat it has a hobby outside of working hours then crack on...... :)
price higher/work harder!

zesty

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2019, 09:40:18 pm »
To be fair Daz, my DIY reel has never missed a beat, and it’s gotta be 3 years old now 😜

nathankaye

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2019, 10:15:00 pm »
Sorry Daz, I also would have to disagree on your point as well.
All you need is a motor, a cog and a chain!  Haha its not rocket science but a shop bought one will obviously make theirs more fancier to justify the price tag that goes with it and to cover their backs with insurances etc.

If you want a work vehicle for display purposes (sole trader) then get your van kitted out with all the flashing lights (or blue strip lights which seem to be the latest fad for wfp'ers) and 5 grand heaters in.  So other shiners can be awe at the kit!
But in reality, its a work horse that transports our equipmemt of water and a means to apply that to the window and clean, so who really cares what equipment is in the van apart from the next scumbag  wanting to nick it from seeingbeveryone show off on facebook and the likes lol
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Smudger

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2019, 10:29:06 pm »
Didn’t you have lots of trouble with yours Daz?

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

tlwcs

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2019, 06:41:34 am »
I may sell my hd power up reel , ive had it since Jan 2017, I’ve ordered a new one.
The original doesn’t run true and every 6 months I have to replace the rubber o rings, no drama but ive had a new van and new kit.
I will video the spindle when in operation and stick it in the for sale bit at the weekend if I decide to sell.
Tony

Stoots

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2019, 07:32:54 am »
I can see the argument for both.

Sometimes expensive items are good value and other times cheap stuff can be better value.

Take tea bags for example, I buy the 50p smart price ones because they taste just as good as PG tips at £4

But for coffee I buy the more expensive because the cheap stuff tastes nasty.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2019, 08:55:28 am »

really?...........its £500-£700 for a decent electric reel...its hardly gonna break the bank.....some of you really are proper cheapskates..... ;D
Says the person who has been making poles up from used sections ;D ;)