p1w1

Re: brittle xtreme sections.....
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2019, 10:27:49 am »
It's the top sections that give the most benefit on the pole lightness and rigidity , what you plan is pointless.

Dave Willis

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2019, 12:47:27 pm »
What I suggest you do Dazmond is hold your pole upside down as the base sections never wear out. Should get 10 years at least out of your pole.

dazmond

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2019, 04:36:38 pm »
It's the top sections that give the most benefit on the pole lightness and rigidity , what you plan is pointless.

the pole is still a fair bit lighter with xtreme sections 4 and 5 instead of slx sections added on.in fact the base section and section 4 are the heaviest sections on a 25 ft SLX pole.....
price higher/work harder!

robert mitchell

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2019, 07:03:38 pm »

the pole is still a fair bit lighter with xtreme sections 4 and 5 instead of slx sections added on.in fact the base section and section 4 are the heaviest sections on a 25 ft SLX pole.....

Not when the poles extended they are not , your forgetting about leverage Dazmond, especially over connys.
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

Jonny 87

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2019, 08:19:06 am »
That’s a pointless exercise Daz. May aswell use an slx.

The weight of a brush is more noticeable because it’s at the end of your pole. Hold it in your hand and it’s light as a feather.  It’s the same with pole sections. It’s the top ones that matter the most when it comes to weight.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

mufcglen

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2019, 10:02:17 am »
Hi lads you may remember my post around the start of year with my 11 month old xtreme pole and section 3 snapping, luckily Alex G swapped out for me because the courier messed me about so much not collecting it to return for inspection but Alex thought it was user error which personally I didn’t totally agree with  as I really do look after my poles and not a heavy user finishing work most days early afternoon mon-fri.
Anyway he was great doing that for me and I can’t knock him but recently my no1 had been spinning at the very top below the clamp which is common apparantly and my no4 section has split half way down the pole, bearing in mind its about 14 months old now I decided to try and replace the no4 section with an slx as I thought its lower down I won’t feel the weight diff as much and I don’t really!
Then here’s the best bit, I spent £75 on a set of phantom clamps from wcw and after a bit of chopping and changing the pole feels bloody awesome again.
I am going to order a new xtreme anyway in a month or so but thought for £150 for the clamps and pole I’d give it a try.
Can’t recommend the phantom clamps enough, they feel too loose when opening and shutting them but they clamp brilliantly and 3 days use i havent got any carbon wear on my hands yet!
As regards the xtreme pole though and wear we all know the slx is probably the best all rounder and you can bounce it off walls but for me even at double the price and the fact that you generally get 12-18 months use out of them its money well spent for me, I found I’m earning more as my not as crackered and my shoulder injury from football many years ago has gone again and ever since using the xtreme I get peaceful nights sleeps!
The extra money I made this last year has way more than paid for itself😉

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2019, 12:48:43 pm »
Something else that contributes to wear on a pole is the manner in which it is extended. I’ve seen a number of window cleaners extending poles horizontally then lifting them up to clean upper windows. I’ve always tended to extend mine near vertically. This reduces wear dramatically as there is noticeably less friction between the sliding surfaces. Especially is this important when grit gets into the pole.

We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

mufcglen

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2019, 05:00:38 pm »

dazmond

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2019, 05:12:54 pm »
I couldn't be bothered putting facelift clamps on an xtreme pole.........I'll manage with my xtreme/slx hybrid poles for now and when the time comes for a new main pole ill probably just buy another SLX25..........

mufcglen

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2019, 06:18:57 pm »
I couldn't be bothered putting facelift clamps on an xtreme pole.........I'll manage with my xtreme/slx hybrid poles for now and when the time comes for a new main pole ill probably just buy another SLX25..........

Doesn’t take much longer than changing the pole sections like your doing now pal and they clamp on the worn poles better!
To be honest my Mrs said I should have just bought a new xtreme as I’ve had 14 months out of it but I wanted to see what the fuss is about with these new type clamps with the rubber collar in and I can definitely say they’re definitely the future, I’d be shocked if gardiner hadn’t looked into the idea plus I think I prefer the idea of a bolted clamp rather than a glued one now not that it was an issue ever did myself but I’ve read of some heavy handed lads loosening the glued clamps off!
Gonna use this for a few months now as it feels like a new pole again but I’ll be ordering an xtreme soon enough👍

dazmond

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2019, 06:29:35 pm »

Doesn’t take much longer than changing the pole sections like your doing now pal and they clamp on the worn poles better!
To be honest my Mrs said I should have just bought a new xtreme as I’ve had 14 months out of it but I wanted to see what the fuss is about with these new type clamps with the rubber collar in and I can definitely say they’re definitely the future, I’d be shocked if gardiner hadn’t looked into the idea plus I think I prefer the idea of a bolted clamp rather than a glued one now not that it was an issue ever did myself but I’ve read of some heavy handed lads loosening the glued clamps off!
Gonna use this for a few months now as it feels like a new pole again but I’ll be ordering an xtreme soon enough👍

Fair enough but I'm not having an issue with clamping.....its xtreme pole sections snapping and splintering mate.....

mufcglen

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2019, 09:19:16 pm »

Fair enough but I'm not having an issue with clamping.....its xtreme pole sections snapping and splintering mate.....

That’s where these phantom clamps are supposed to help though and judging by the feel of the inside of the clamps they feel a lot smoother and softer than the gardiner plastic clamps, when I cut off the gardiner clamp I couldn’t believe how rough it felt internally, only time will tell if the phantom inserts will make a difference with pole wear as I’ve only fitted them last week but I’ve heard plenty of other good comments on them now they been out a year.

wayne m

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2019, 07:13:44 am »
Hi lads you may remember my post around the start of year with my 11 month old xtreme pole and section 3 snapping, luckily Alex G swapped out for me because the courier messed me about so much not collecting it to return for inspection but Alex thought it was user error which personally I didn’t totally agree with  as I really do look after my poles and not a heavy user finishing work most days early afternoon mon-fri.
Anyway he was great doing that for me and I can’t knock him but recently my no1 had been spinning at the very top below the clamp which is common apparantly and my no4 section has split half way down the pole, bearing in mind its about 14 months old now I decided to try and replace the no4 section with an slx as I thought its lower down I won’t feel the weight diff as much and I don’t really!
Then here’s the best bit, I spent £75 on a set of phantom clamps from wcw and after a bit of chopping and changing the pole feels bloody awesome again.
I am going to order a new xtreme anyway in a month or so but thought for £150 for the clamps and pole I’d give it a try.
Can’t recommend the phantom clamps enough, they feel too loose when opening and shutting them but they clamp brilliantly and 3 days use i havent got any carbon wear on my hands yet!
As regards the xtreme pole though and wear we all know the slx is probably the best all rounder and you can bounce it off walls but for me even at double the price and the fact that you generally get 12-18 months use out of them its money well spent for me, I found I’m earning more as my not as crackered and my shoulder injury from football many years ago has gone again and ever since using the xtreme I get peaceful nights sleeps!
The extra money I made this last year has way more than paid for itself😉

Why not just buy the phantom hi-mod and try that when you go to buy a new pole

mufcglen

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2019, 05:59:49 pm »
I may do pal but I’ve only ever gardiner Poles with the smart clamps so wanted to see how the phantom clamps felt and like I say I’m impressed up to now.
Phantom 22 high mod is nearly £100 more than the xtreme version though looking at website prices