nathankaye

Can i do the impossible again
« on: October 15, 2018, 07:35:29 pm »
So this is the formula to see how long it is required in kw hours to heat a volume of water using x kilowatt heater.

Calculate the kilowatt-hours (kWh) required to heat the water using the following formula: Pt = (4.2 × L × T ) ÷ 3600. Pt is the power used to heat the water, in kWh. L is the number of liters of water that is being heated and T is the difference in temperature from what you started with, listed in degrees Celsius.

My tank water is freshly filled from empty up until about around 400ltr or so (estimated as I don't have a scale on the tank) and is 16 degrees. I would like it to be 70 degrees (so it will be in the 60's at the brush end. So an increase of 54 degrees is needed.

The power in kw hours needed to do this is:
(4.2 × 400 × 54)÷ 3600. = 25.2  kw hours of power needed to do this.

I'm now using a 2kw element and so I need to calculate this into the equation by dividing the power required in kw hours by the actual kw heating source.
25.2 ÷ 2 = 12.6 hours are required based on this formula. ( Which doesn't take insulation etc into account)

I'm certainly not running it for twelve hours, tonight I'm simply turning it on at midnight and will turn of at 7am hopefully or else 8am if I forget as i won't be using a timer.   Let's see what impossible results I get in the morning and perhaps adjust my timings if needed.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

alank

Re: Can i do the impossible again
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 07:40:15 pm »
Will the thermostat not just cut the power when it gets up to temperature?

Dave Willis

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 07:46:40 pm »
Have you checked the cap to see you do indeed have a 2KW element?

Jonny 87

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 08:29:18 pm »
Whay didn’t you fill your tank all the way up?

Is it not a 650 tank You have?

When you test the heat of the water, test it at the brush head, or Atleast out the reel. That will give you a more realistic measure, as the water will be the hottest right at the top of your tank.

I used to use a 2kw element and would only get about 30 degrees from 8 hours of heating on a 650 tank.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Dry Clean

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 08:39:20 pm »
Why do you keep going on about your insulation as if it helps heat the water, the calculator will give you the best possible result
which you wont achieve because of the  heat lost over the heating time, your insulation will help reduce this loss nothing more.

Dry Clean

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 08:50:17 pm »

Iv already had this out with him, if the heat he was getting from his 1kw immersion was true then it had to a higher kw than what he believed, infect it would have had to be above 3kw which could have meant it was dangerous, the fact that he wasn't concerned showed me that he was just up to his usual 2+2=5 story telling.
Gold done a thread on this a while back, if you are considering the immersion route look up his findings.

nathankaye

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 09:07:04 pm »

Iv already had this out with him, if the heat he was getting from his 1kw immersion was true then it had to a higher kw than what he believed, infect it would have had to be above 3kw which could have meant it was dangerous, the fact that he wasn't concerned showed me that he was just up to his usual 2+2=5 story telling.
Gold done a thread on this a while back, if you are considering the immersion route look up his findings.

I wasn't overly concerned as I know it wasn't a 3kw heater, besides, my electric meter would also show a significant rise if it was it was a 3 Kw heater as well.

I haven't filled my tank due to the legal payload and the extra weight which is in my van nowadays and no not from my body weight 😁 so I compensate with less water to remain safe.
Yes I know the insulation helps prevents heat loss, which means it will help retain the heat once a set temp has been reached, esp greater than the vans ambient temp.
Yes I can take a reading at the brush end as well as a reading from the top of my tank and see what the difference will be.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Jonny 87

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 09:14:52 pm »
Looking forward to it.  :)
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Bungle

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 09:15:25 pm »
Tl;dr
We look at them, they look through them.

Dry Clean

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 09:28:12 pm »
Looking forward to it.  :)

I take it you don't know Nathan ?  this is him with his latest brush. lol

Dave Willis

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 10:16:25 pm »
I have a 2kw and 650 l tank. Eight hours will only give me a tepid tank. I also have 2kw on my boat and that’s pretty poor too. When I ordered my heater for the van I bought a spare just in case. Both looked the same only one was marked 2kw the other was 3kw for some reason. I don’t have the wiring set up for 3kw so sold it on. I also didn’t want particularly hot water either. I might add that when looking for a 2kw element they tended to be around ten inches long and had to be made to order - about £50. A bog standard long 3Kw can be bought for about £16 from Wickes. Just seems your temperature rather surprising.

paul alan

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 10:29:08 pm »
I've got a 3kw set-up, last winter I would put it on for 10 hours and only get warm water in a 650, which was all I wanted. A bit like a brew that's been sat on the side for 10-15 minutes was all.

Dave Willis

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 10:35:21 pm »
Sounds very much like Nathan may well have a 3kw heater? This means his tank would be done in 8.2 hours on those calculations.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 10:45:30 pm »
Anyone noticing a deteriation in heating performance from their element might want to check it's thermostat setting. Mine had worked it's way down- maybe from road vibration? This also happened to another windy I know too.
Comfortably Numb!

Go

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 10:52:12 pm »
Why not run two elements off different fuses?

nathankaye

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 12:14:57 am »
The 1kw heater I had was an ecosave one from heat rod, the only one they sold online and yes, most places sell the bog standard 14inch 3kw immersion heaters that you can pick up from any / most DIY type stores ie wickes, screw fix, BnQ etc or online.
However Heatrod produce many various types of elements and not just your standard domestic ones. Hence in another post/thread I gave details of this 2kw option as many do not wish to change their domestic electrics and you can not order this on line but have to phone and request it.

Interesting post about the thermostat, which might account for some peoples poor heated water, but also again my tank is 500 not 650 or larger.  However as I've mentioned above,  it's also not a full tank either.
But back to the element, when ordering a replacement thermostat, it's not one replace all type of fix. You need a specific one for your specific heater. There is a huge difference between my 1kw thermostat to that of my 2kw one.

Sean, guess you don't like my brush 😱😂.  Some people can't handle the weight and need a super light one, I get it.  However some of us are used to handling large things 😉
😂
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Jonny 87

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 08:16:37 am »
I check the forum at 08:15 and there isn’t an update video from Nathan! What’s the world coming to. It’s been an hour since you turned your immersion off! What’s happened. Someone should send a search party.

;D

KS Cleaning

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 08:30:45 am »
C’mon Nathan, you’ve had plenty of time to add hot kettles of water to your tank by now, get the results in😉

John Mart

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 08:34:45 am »
Speaking philosophically, no you can't.

nathankaye

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2018, 09:20:31 am »
Wanted to build some suspense  ;D
Not really and not that u actually want to know, but I like to waffle  ;D.     With the Mrs health getting worse, we've put kids back into school, so I've been on school run etc etc.

The results.......... Less than disappointing at the moment.  The heat increase was far less than expected.  According to the all important heat calculator, it was as if I was using a 1kw heater and not a 2 kw.  However I've not looked into this yet, as the result is definitely wrong so not sure if my timer was at fault or something else. So I will look at that later this evening and report back.
For now, lets hear the jibes 😒😁
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk