G Griffin

Re: 6 weeks? Shocking.
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2018, 10:10:40 am »
I just dont know what to think or say.

Picked up this new customer as a group of houses next to each other; 3 in a row as thier old window cleaner had just disappeared.

Went to collect payment from the end house; as she was paying I asked her how her day was going so far; you know just the normal smalltalk you do.

She looked at me and her eyes were a bit watery;." Well not so good marc, my husband has terminal cancer and is now in palliative care; they think he has 2 weeks to go and we are arranging affairs for the inevitable outcome."

Gobsmacked; last time I saw him he had just got back from the garden centre and was doing some gardening; a fit healthy chap.  That was 6 weeks ago.

Crazy..
Not really; it's happening all the time.
It could be any of us and nothing prepares us for it, believe me. Time becomes everything and you lose control of things.
On a more positive note  ;D, I believe pain control is good these days if you're in the right hands.
Enjoy your day, fellahs.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

tlwcs

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2018, 12:18:54 pm »
At 61, having lost a few friends along the way, death's relentless reality creeps ever closer.
I lost an old friend only last week.  I hadn't seen him for years as he moved away long ago.  Apparently he died from COPD, a lung disease.  I don't suppose all that hashish smoking helped much.
Me?  In the last couple of years I have had a "very minor" issue noted with a heart valve and was recently informed that I'm pre-diabetic - I'm at the very high end of that scale, but not quite diabetic.
So, since the start of June, I've lost just under three stone in weight.  The rate of loss is starting to slow now.  I'm still very much overweight but feeling fitter than I have for years.  It's easier to get through my work now - so much so that I ought to increase my workload.
It's interesting to note that my blood pressure has dropped too - consistently back within the 'normal' range (I self monitor).

Unfortunately, about a dozen of my customers have died in the past couple of years - it's normally two or three a year at most.

I intend to be around for a long time yet, but so much is luck of the draw.

So sad Marc, I hate it when I'm told that by mine,  just what do you say.

Well done Walter. 😁
I'm the same. A well man check up a  couple of months also said I'm pre-diabetic. I've lost 13lbs by counting calories, a 4,3,3,1,1,1 weekly loss. Loving the 5-2/ fasting science that after my holiday (a cruise damn it) I'm going to give it a go. How have you done such rapid loss?

John Mart

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2018, 03:53:36 pm »
Theres not much to look forward to about getting old is there

I never thought about these things until i turned 35, staring 40 in the face is like this is getting real pretty fast...

Ah dear

You’re halfway there.
More than. Northerners die younger.  ;D

Walter Mitty

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2018, 06:45:40 pm »
At 61, having lost a few friends along the way, death's relentless reality creeps ever closer.
I lost an old friend only last week.  I hadn't seen him for years as he moved away long ago.  Apparently he died from COPD, a lung disease.  I don't suppose all that hashish smoking helped much.
Me?  In the last couple of years I have had a "very minor" issue noted with a heart valve and was recently informed that I'm pre-diabetic - I'm at the very high end of that scale, but not quite diabetic.
So, since the start of June, I've lost just under three stone in weight.  The rate of loss is starting to slow now.  I'm still very much overweight but feeling fitter than I have for years.  It's easier to get through my work now - so much so that I ought to increase my workload.
It's interesting to note that my blood pressure has dropped too - consistently back within the 'normal' range (I self monitor).

Unfortunately, about a dozen of my customers have died in the past couple of years - it's normally two or three a year at most.

I intend to be around for a long time yet, but so much is luck of the draw.

So sad Marc, I hate it when I'm told that by mine,  just what do you say.

Well done Walter. 😁
I'm the same. A well man check up a  couple of months also said I'm pre-diabetic. I've lost 13lbs by counting calories, a 4,3,3,1,1,1 weekly loss. Loving the 5-2/ fasting science that after my holiday (a cruise damn it) I'm going to give it a go. How have you done such rapid loss?

I haven't done anything spectacular to achieve that weight loss, and I was pretty shocked that it came off so quickly.

All I've done is cut out all sweet stuff except a small bar of chocolate once every two weeks.  Also, once a month, I  go down the coast for the evening, so treat myself to a portion of onion rings and a pineapple fritter from a lovely chippy.  Those are my treats and I focus on them when I feel tempted.  It's a little psychological trick.  I don't tell myself 'no treats' - rather, I defer it until  one of my treat days.

Also, I only eat now when I feel hungry, and I choose something that's reasonably healthy and drastically cut the portion sizes.  It's possible that I may have to work harder at it as the weight loss slows, but the above is working for me so far.

Another thing I'm doing is taking regular exercise.  It doesn't have to be anything dramatic - maybe three (very) brisk twenty minute walks per week.  I know we get exercise in our work, but that's not enough.  It needs to be the sort that gets us puffing a bit and increases heart rate.

G Griffin

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2018, 11:27:48 pm »

I never thought about these things until i turned 35, staring 40 in the face is like this is getting real pretty fast...

Ah dear

You’re halfway there.
I hope so.
If all that we've got to look forward to is onion rings and a pineapple fritter.
If someone offered me a pineapple fritter I'd be ringing the Grim Reaper myself. 

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Walter Mitty

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2018, 07:53:14 am »

Ah dear

You’re halfway there.
I hope so.
If all that we've got to look forward to is onion rings and a pineapple fritter.
If someone offered me a pineapple fritter I'd be ringing the Grim Reaper myself.

But it is a lovely chippy, and at the seaside too :)

*Hector*

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2018, 08:31:49 am »

Griff do you want a pineapple ring??   :P

ps got a phone you can borrow if you like  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

G Griffin

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2018, 10:41:28 am »

Ah dear

You’re halfway there.
I hope so.

It is relaxing to see and hear the sea. 
How's the writing going?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Walter Mitty

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2018, 10:47:00 am »

Ah dear

You’re halfway there.
I hope so.

How's the writing going?

Quite well thanks.  I'm most of the way through the first draft of a novel.  The sea is great inspiration, I find - even in winter.

G Griffin

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2018, 10:49:08 am »

Griff do you want a pineapple ring??   :P

ps got a phone you can borrow if you like  ;D ;D ;D ;D
It depends whose it is, H  :o
But pineapple shouldn't be anywhere near a pizza or gammon. In a bowl of ice cream, yes.

And I'm not ready for that yet. I want to see how Bielsa does with your lot first. A very interesting appointment.
You've got a good 'un there.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

*Hector*

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2018, 10:54:40 am »
Yes we have.... One of your forums (scousers FC or summat ) has about 6 pages on him and and us......
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

G Griffin

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2018, 10:57:47 am »

Ah dear

You’re halfway there.
I hope so.

How's the writing going?

Quite well thanks.  I'm most of the way through the first draft of a novel.  The sea is great inspiration, I find - even in winter.
I like it and it can be more impressive in winter.
Keep us posted about the novel (though you might have to do it in 'the other section').  I'm sure there'll be plenty of interest over there.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

G Griffin

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2018, 11:04:32 am »
Yes we have.... One of your forums (scousers FC or summat ) has about 6 pages on him and and us......
I read a lot about him on a Liverpool forum before he got the Leeds job. One of the Ed's is a big fan.
How he'd watch Liverpool train whilst he was up a ladder against the training ground fence. He then rented a room in a house overlooking the training ground.
He plays the right way too.
I hope he gets you to where you should be. Leeds should be in the Premier League.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Walter Mitty

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2018, 11:09:07 am »

Ah dear

You’re halfway there.
I hope so.

How's the writing going?

I like it and it can be more impressive in winter.
Keep us posted about the novel (though you might have to do it in 'the other section').  I'm sure there'll be plenty of interest over there.

My main success so far was winning a flash fiction competition a while back.  I will paste it over there in the near future now that the rights have reverted to me.  It lacks the descriptiveness of many stories because three hundred words is a very tight word limit to write a story (more a scene really).  I had to totally delete the part where God threw up on the pub floor.

Anyway, wrong section for this.