paul alan

wish I had sickness cover now!
« on: July 23, 2018, 12:30:17 pm »
Since posting a thread about "for those who dont employ" and asking what everyone does for financial security encase of an accident or sickness I was hit by a car on the way home from work on Saturday.

He pulled out right into the side of me and sent the van flying, made a mess of the side of the van and I'm considerable pain across my neck, back and right shoulder. Needles to say I am now off work and dont know how long for.

The worst bit is the other driver after having admitted fault at the scene is now denying he pulled out and is saying I drove into him, disgusting!

So god knows what happening now and how much all this is going to cost or how long I'll be off for.

One things for sure I'm going to get dash cams for me and the wife, today!

One things for sure I'm going out today and buying dash cams for me a

Cookie

Re: wish I had sickness cover now!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 12:44:43 pm »
Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope you get better soon.

nathankaye

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 12:46:54 pm »
Hope it all goes in your favour with the claims etc. Its disgusting what people try to get out from doing.

Hope your able to get back to work soon.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

jo5hm4n

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 12:55:30 pm »
Sorry to hear of your crash.  Some right idiots about on the road.  Hope you get things sorted asap and it doesnt affect your work too much or health.

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 12:57:48 pm »
Hope you're sorted soon and I am sure it will all go in your favour.

Dash cams are a must.  One of those things you buy and hope you never have a need to use it.

Parking mode is a must too as I have in the past whilst parked up being hit taking out a mirror.   In our jobs its important.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

andyM

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 01:32:18 pm »
Sorry to hear of that.
As you are a genuine victim of an accident make sure you do everything by the book.
Keep written records and accounts of everything, it's always best to write things down while they are fresh in your mind for accuracy and reference.
If you believe you are injured go to your local A&E or at the very least see your GP so there is a source of reference which you may later need to rely on of your visit.

One of the Plebs

Jonny Swirljet

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 02:25:58 pm »
Sorry this has happened - I wish you a speedy recovery.
Just a thought though - did you check to see if there is any CCTV which may have captured the incident. Some shops, houses and or the usual CCTV may have caught the incident on camera?

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 03:14:00 pm »
Just remind his insurance company that your van only has forward and reverse gears.... thus you could not have driven sideways into his car!!👍
Comfortably Numb!

Stoots

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 03:35:43 pm »
There are some right scumbags when it comes to claims.

I had a small bump (at fault) in a petrol station couple of years ago, it was literally a 2mph bump. I was behind a guy pulling out, he went then changed his mind and slammed on, i went into back of him.

Was a young lad on his own, but i got a court letter through few weeks later telling me he was claiming a few grand for injuries to himself and two imaginery kids that were apparently in the back seat.

Luckily my insurance covered my costs, but i was a bit worried as it said i could be personally liable for his injuries etc.. but he got a nice big wedge for not a lot.

Hope you recover well mate, try too look at it positively, maybe this is the time to set on a full time employee and push on?

AuRavelling79

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 03:56:52 pm »

I had a small bump (at fault) in a petrol station couple of years ago, it was literally a 2mph bump. I was behind a guy pulling out, he went then changed his mind and slammed on, i went into back of him.

Was a young lad on his own, but i got a court letter through few weeks later telling me he was claiming a few grand for injuries to himself and two imaginery kids that were apparently in the back seat.

Luckily my insurance covered my costs, but i was a bit worried as it said i could be personally liable for his injuries etc.. but he got a nice big wedge for not a lot.

Hope you recover well mate, try too look at it positively, maybe this is the time to set on a full time employee and push on?

See, now I would have told my insurance there were no kids in his car and that if they checked with the garage there might be CCTV to prove it. Then they could throw his whole claim out and do him for fraud.
It's a game of three halves!

Stoots

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 05:46:46 pm »

See, now I would have told my insurance there were no kids in his car and that if they checked with the garage there might be CCTV to prove it. Then they could throw his whole claim out and do him for fraud.

I told my insurance there was no kids in the car.

Someone rang me back and said they could contest it and would i be prepared to stand up in court and testify there were no kids in the car. They made it out like i had to be very certain or i would be in trouble.

I said no, i didnt want to stand up in court nor attend court, i also felt a bit nervous and unsure and started to question myself, what if they were kids in the car and i didnt see them etc. In the end although i was certain as i looked i didnt like the whole idea and given that i was at fault and had admitted it i just wanted the easy option.

Bungle

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 06:57:44 pm »
Just remind his insurance company that your van only has forward and reverse gears.... thus you could not have driven sideways into his car!!👍

Exactly what I was thinking. Don't forget to claim your daily rate whilst off sick from his insurance.
We look at them, they look through them.

dd

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 07:17:47 pm »
Most insurance policy's'  have legal cover included. I used this years ago to claim for loss of earnings when my vehicle was hit by another motorist through no fault of mine. I was not injured, but lost a few days work while I sorted out a replacement vehicle.

JandS

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 08:00:07 pm »
I ran into the back of someone in Leeds who started pulling out at a clear junction then slammed all on  for no reason.
I saw her pull out as I was approaching and I looked left to make sure I was clear to go and just as I turned forward and was about to boot it into the lane saw her stopped across the lines for no reason and I managed to slam on and just nudge her.....four people climbed out and the very first words the driver uttered was "who you insured with" with pen and paper in hand.
They all filed whiplash claims within an hour of the accident.....I had legal cover so everything was done for me and within a month there was only one claim...when it got close to court time that one was also pulled.
Only thing I had to do was fill out the forms and talk for around 20 minutes on phone........wouldn't be without legal cover...they kept me up to date and reassured all along the way that whatever happened  it wouldn't cost me a penny....only loss I would lose would be a day in court but only if I wanted to........case dismissed eventually m'lord and I think they pushed for attempted fraud against them.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

paul alan

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 08:00:40 pm »

Yes Adam for sure, will be taking time to see if I can afford a full timer whilst staying under the vat. If not then it'll have to be a part timer.

Stoots

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 08:55:01 pm »

Yes Adam for sure, will be taking time to see if I can afford a full timer whilst staying under the vat. If not then it'll have to be a part timer.

Nightmare though, im advertising for a 30 hour man, ive been let down twice this week from potentials with poor excuses and its only monday.

as for the VAT, employ a full timer and you become the part timer, not the other way round!

paul alan

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2018, 09:30:43 pm »

Nightmare though, im advertising for a 30 hour man, ive been let down twice this week from potentials with poor excuses and its only monday.

as for the VAT, employ a full timer and you become the part timer, not the other way round!

Sounds good as the ultimate goal for me is not more money but less work/same money. I want a minimum of 4k per month to live off but I just dont know how it would pan out with all costs involved.

I'm thinking I can turnover around 7k per month before going vat, that would leave 3k per month to pay wages and running cost etc. It doesn't seem doable.

dazmond

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2018, 09:50:35 pm »
Since posting a thread about "for those who dont employ" and asking what everyone does for financial security encase of an accident or sickness I was hit by a car on the way home from work on Saturday.

He pulled out right into the side of me and sent the van flying, made a mess of the side of the van and I'm considerable pain across my neck, back and right shoulder. Needles to say I am now off work and dont know how long for.

The worst bit is the other driver after having admitted fault at the scene is now denying he pulled out and is saying I drove into him, disgusting!

So god knows what happening now and how much all this is going to cost or how long I'll be off for.

One things for sure I'm going to get dash cams for me and the wife, today!

One things for sure I'm going out today and buying dash cams for me a

thats bad luck mate....hopefully you ll be back at work within a few weeks and no proper injuries sustained.....your a fit guy so you ll probably be fine.....
price higher/work harder!

lal

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2018, 10:11:27 pm »

Sorry to hear that Paul, there are some right idiots on the road out there, wishing you a speedy recovery,
 i hope things work out for you.
 Larry

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2018, 11:26:36 pm »
Only one reply mentioning dash cam.  My wife and I both have them, wouldn't want to be without.  Haven't had to rely on either yet but it would be nice to be able to say "Doesn't matter what you say happened, I've got it all on video".

Stoots

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2018, 07:40:35 am »

Sounds good as the ultimate goal for me is not more money but less work/same money. I want a minimum of 4k per month to live off but I just dont know how it would pan out with all costs involved.

I'm thinking I can turnover around 7k per month before going vat, that would leave 3k per month to pay wages and running cost etc. It doesn't seem doable.

Same.

I'm happy with the amount of money that I can earn as a sole trader but I would like to be able to earn that without the business relying on me 9-5 m to Fri to do it. I would ultimately like more free time and flexibility that's my motivation not really money (to a certain extent).

I suppose if you are wanting 4k to yourself per month as a take home salary it's going to involve you doing at least some of the work without going over VAT.

I don't think I really need that much money, i find window Cleaning 5 days a week in all weathers tedious and boring. I was much happier when I had less work, now I'm rushed off my feet and can't catch up I find it stressful and it's become a chore. I didnt go self employed to create another job for myself that I would be a slave to but that's how it feels it has become and it sucks the enjoyment out of it.

So for me it's either employ or sell off some work but I'm reluctant to go backwards as I've spent a lot of time and money getting to where I am. So I'll keep looking for employees for now.

paul alan

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2018, 07:54:39 am »
I think the situation I'm in illustrates the fact they are essential, a dashcam wouldn't take all the pain I'm in away but at least I would of been able to get a decent nights sleep last night!

I cant believe the guy is actually saying I drove into him, only problem for him is the two vans directly behind me both stopped at the scene and gave me their phone numbers. I have spoken to them both and both say the same thing, they saw him parked up at the side of the road and as I went to pass he pulled out into the side of my van sending me sideways into the road. At first the other driver said that as he indicated before he pulled off I should of seen it and therefore its my fault, in actual fact he put his indicator on and set off at the same time giving me no chance.

His wife upon hearing what the two witnesses said conceded straight away that he pulled out without looking and apologised profusely. I called the guy up 1 hour later for details of his insurance policy and he admitted fault then.

When I called his insurance on Monday morning they told me he claimed to be stationary when I veered into him, the things that causing me sleepless nights is he is more than aware of the two witnesses but still denies responsibility? Does he know of some way out of this? No doubt there is a team of experts working for his insurance, maybe they know what to say to make it look like my fault? its so stressful.

Its a scary thought that had something of been travelling toward me on the other side I would of collided with them too.

Anyhow a dashcam is essential so far 2 days off work £500. The repairs to the van look like a new passenger door and new side loading door plus the bodywork between the two passenger door is screwed and the rear wheel arch is screwed Once the doors have been replace I will need to re-sign write also and that's just the damage I can see.

My neck, right shoulder and middle back are all in a lot of pain and I cant see me getting back to work anytime soon. I have a hefty schedule to complete along with a list of new customers to clean. Yesterday I had 4 new enquiries. Its all such a mess right now.

dazmond

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2018, 07:59:59 am »

Same.

I'm happy with the amount of money that I can earn as a sole trader but I would like to be able to earn that without the business relying on me 9-5 m to Fri to do it. I would ultimately like more free time and flexibility that's my motivation not really money (to a certain extent).

I suppose if you are wanting 4k to yourself per month as a take home salary it's going to involve you doing at least some of the work without going over VAT.

I don't think I really need that much money, i find window Cleaning 5 days a week in all weathers tedious and boring. I was much happier when I had less work, now I'm rushed off my feet and can't catch up I find it stressful and it's become a chore. I didnt go self employed to create another job for myself that I would be a slave to but that's how it feels it has become and it sucks the enjoyment out of it.

So for me it's either employ or sell off some work but I'm reluctant to go backwards as I've spent a lot of time and money getting to where I am. So I'll keep looking for employees for now.

ADAM YOUR ALWAYS GOING TO HAVE PROBLEMS WITH STAFF!!!

thats the way it is...pure and simple get used to it....

when i was at pure freedom yesterday a guy was moaning and getting stressed out about being at least a month behind on contract work(quarterly cleans),loads of  work needing cleaning and problem after problem with staff,etc,etc......every story he told me about his staff id had the same problems years ago..... ::)roll

even if you find a good worker they usually dont last longer than a few months,its like trying to find a needle in a haystack to get one that ll work for you for years and years....

paul alan

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2018, 08:04:51 am »

Same.

Eventually I'll franchise the work as that is 100% the best model for me, but right now I have more work than I want to do and no sign of a franchisee in sight. To keep moving forward I need a second (well third) pair of hands.

I couldn't see the point a while back but now I see the benefits of having someone else around Firstly I'll look more like a successful business and be able to create a stronger brand which will attract a franchisee, secondly I'll have help when I need it as my wife is not always available and deserves days off with running the house/kids. Thirdly the business can still run if I was off say because of an RTA or something. Also frees me up a little and gives me some breathing space to work on other aspects like the franchise. So even if an employee only pays for his own costs its still a big benefit to me right now.

andyM

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2018, 08:05:19 am »
Going forward I would advise you don't have any more contact with the Driver or his Insurers.
It's your Insurers job to sort it out with them.
And it might just be that he actually isn't denying responsibility..... but his Insurers are!
One of the Plebs

paul alan

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2018, 08:08:03 am »

Same.

ADAM YOUR ALWAYS GOING TO HAVE PROBLEMS WITH STAFF!!!

thats the way it is...pure and simple get used to it....

when i was at pure freedom yesterday a guy was moaning and getting stressed out about being at least a month behind on contract work(quarterly cleans),loads of  work needing cleaning and problem after problem with staff,etc,etc......every story he told me about his staff id had the same problems years ago..... ::)roll

even if you find a good worker they usually dont last longer than a few months,its like trying to find a needle in a haystack to get one that ll work for you for years and years....

I think from what I'm seeing about other people who employ successfully is if you pay someone well enough they'll do what you ask of them and turn up!

Stoots

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2018, 08:08:32 am »
Yeh I know that daz that's why I don't want loads of them or a massive business.

I just want a balance, one or two guys full or part time and me filling in and doing a few days, covering hols etc.

Not bothered about earning a fortune from it, just don't want to clean glass everyday till I die. Ive said it before I like window cleaning in small doses but when it's constant non stop and can't have a break due to too.muxh work it's no longer fun.

paul alan

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2018, 08:11:06 am »
Going forward I would advise you don't have any more contact with the Driver or his Insurers.
And it might just be that he actually isn't denying responsibility..... but his Insurers are!

I have a strong suspicion about his insurers playing that part. I did want to go and knock on his door yesterday but....like you say I'll leave it to the powers that be.

dazmond

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2018, 08:12:07 am »

sound advice...take this on board paul.....

you ll be fine...he s in the wrong and you have witnesses......you must feel bad though ATM with everything up in the air,vans f***ed,injured and work to be cleaned.....throw in a few nights of hardly any sleep and everything can seem worse than it is....

best wishes mate

Stoots

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2018, 08:13:54 am »

Same.

Eventually I'll franchise the work as that is 100% the best model for me, but right now I have more work than I want to do and no sign of a franchisee in sight. To keep moving forward I need a second (well third) pair of hands.

I couldn't see the point a while back but now I see the benefits of having someone else around Firstly I'll look more like a successful business and be able to create a stronger brand which will attract a franchisee, secondly I'll have help when I need it as my wife is not always available and deserves days off with running the house/kids. Thirdly the business can still run if I was off say because of an RTA or something. Also frees me up a little and gives me some breathing space to work on other aspects like the franchise. So even if an employee only pays for his own costs its still a big benefit to me right now.

That's a good point that a lot of people miss, an employee doesn't have to earn you loads more money but if it means you working 3 days a week rather than 5 for the same profit that's a bonus.

It gives you flexibility to pick and choose your days and imagine going on a holiday and still having income flowing.

And yes the nest way to find a good one would be to pay them really,really well however for some of us who are not averaging £400 a day solo the profit margins are not there to do so. You can o my pay what you can pay to make it worthwhile.

paul alan

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2018, 08:17:30 am »

sound advice...take this on board paul.....

you ll be fine...he s in the wrong and you have witnesses......you must feel bad though ATM with everything up in the air,vans f***ed,injured and work to be cleaned.....throw in a few nights of hardly any sleep and everything can seem worse than it is....

best wishes mate

Thanks Daz, it really is a crap situation. Its brought true all my fears about being vulnerable as a sole trader. This is a big lesson for me and no doubt some changes will be made on the back of this.

I truly believe everything that happens to us is good, as a result of this when the dust settles I will emerge stronger and so will my business.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2018, 08:58:19 am »
Yeh I know that daz that's why I don't want loads of them or a massive business.

I just want a balance, one or two guys full or part time and me filling in and doing a few days, covering hols etc.

Not bothered about earning a fortune from it, just don't want to clean glass everyday till I die. Ive said it before I like window cleaning in small doses but when it's constant non stop and can't have a break due to too.muxh work it's no longer fun.
From what your saying it would make sense to keep growing your round then selling off work every now and then. Yes you will get busy spells when you are growing but then when you sell you free up time to re charge the batteries then go again. The advantages of doing this is there is no employing headaches, it will keep your tax bill down, it will keep your expenses down, you then keep the cream of the work to build a nice little round for yourself and when you’re selling off work it’s a nice little earner.
After years of employing this is the business model I now use and it works for me.

Shrek

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2018, 09:35:11 am »
Good luck Paul , hope you get it sorted 👍

Stoots

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2018, 02:37:34 pm »
On the bright side it could have been worse I suppose .

If I lived anywhere close I would offer to give you a hand with work

(Well I couldn't as I've too much of my own own to do but it's the thought that counts  ;))

Best of luck with it though, its every self employed persons nightmare.