combat1

Text reminder for debtors
« on: June 10, 2018, 07:51:11 pm »
Had a lot of new work lately, after seeing a post on here I have started to send outstanding debtors a text reminder after 2 weeks.
It’s worked really well on getting the money in faster.
I normally sent a statement after a month so have improved my cash flow and cut expenditure as a statement is getting on for around a  pound, envelope, paper, stamp, ink etc.
What do you guys do to get paid fast?
Sensible replies!

Shrek

Re: Text reminder for debtors
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 07:59:59 pm »
State in your terms when you txt them your bank details- please pay within 5 days of me cleaning each month.
I used to send out txts weekly but now just do everyone at the end of the month

JandS

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 08:26:16 pm »
I need to do this but not sure how to word it, any ideas?
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

nathankaye

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 08:36:29 pm »
Sensible idea for long run is to get all new work signed upto GoCardless. I've done this for the last six months or so and works a treat. Then offer a discount incentive for existing customers to migrate, ie sign up before your next clean and receive 50% of the clean. Yes you may loose a little income but we'll worth it in the long run.
For immediate results, the advice of texting within two weeks seems to be working for you nicely
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

mod

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 08:41:09 pm »
Once cleaned I leave a payment slip with bank details on. Slip states payment to be received within 3 days of clean carried out. However I then normally leave it 7-10 days before sending a reminder text.

Text says "Hi, your windows were cleaned on the ******** and unfortunately payment hasn't been received. Please make payment. Regards."  Works for me. Bad/crap payers I work on a three strike rule, so after three cleans of me having to chase and chase I drop them. Soon replace with good work.

Works for me. 90-95% pay within three days. The rest need one text reminder to chase them.

Explain from day one how you work.

Stoots

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 08:56:08 pm »
I give them 7 days then start sending reminder texts every 7 days.

If they can't pay after 3-4 reminders then they need to go. No excuse not to pay these days.

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 09:01:25 pm »
Had a lot of new work lately, after seeing a post on here I have started to send outstanding debtors a text reminder after 2 weeks.
It’s worked really well on getting the money in faster.
I normally sent a statement after a month so have improved my cash flow and cut expenditure as a statement is getting on for around a  pound, envelope, paper, stamp, ink etc.
What do you guys do to get paid fast?
Sensible replies!

I send a text reminder after 14 days for BACS customers.this works 90% of the time.the other 10% comes in a few days later usually.thats it.

I'll drop them an invoice/statement next time I clean their windows if they 've not paid for a few cleans(up to 3 cleans for some customers)....

I'm not in dire need of the money straight away as I've built my business up so im months ahead with my bills......so I don't need the money straight away (plus plenty of money in the bank).......
price higher/work harder!

combat1

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 09:06:00 pm »
Nathan, good advice. I had a coffee with a fellow Window cleaner on Friday. He said about go cardless and it certainly seems the way to go.
I only clean once, they dont get another until they’ve paid.

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 09:25:13 pm »
Nathan, good advice. I had a coffee with a fellow Window cleaner on Friday. He said about go cardless and it certainly seems the way to go.

What even on 4 weekly work?I'll run it up to 3 cleans for some customers.....I always get my money in the end....

combat1

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 09:37:18 pm »
Hi Dazmond
Most of my work is 6 weekly, a few on 8 weekly.
Sending a statement after a month meant they were almost due again. By the time they’d paid I was cleaning them again.
Now the customer gets another slip after the clean and thinks i’ve only just paid- i’m not paying twice in a month.
The worst I can lose is one clean.

nathankaye

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 09:45:33 pm »

What even on 4 weekly work?I'll run it up to 3 cleans for some customers.....I always get my money in the end....

But several cleans at £10 or more per clean would add up for the customer, ie every 3 cleans or so. Which would/could seem like a lot for them to pay out.
In addition, cash flow coming into any size company is a must and if there are ways to fetch that in quicker, why faff about not doing so, ie I wonder if mr/Mrs customer will pay this clean or not.   If they all want to pay several cleans later then fine, interest can be applied. It just makes good business sense to have good cash flow if options are available for you to do so, rather than turning a blind eye to them or putting your own objections in front. If the ceo isn't fussed about getting the money in after a job has been completed, how can the ceo expect the customer to not take their time in paying.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 10:03:32 pm »
My debt list never gets that big nathan that I have to worry about it.

Currently it stands at less than £600...its very rarely it ever gets past £1200 and even then it drops down again after a few days.im always getting paid every day whether it's cash/cheques/standing order or BACS so I don't really care......

combat1

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 10:19:48 pm »
Fair enough Daz,
My debt list was usually around £550
But my partner has taken a huge drop in earnings so I have to find more! And whilst I increase my round I need to maximise my cash flow.
Not good at 67!
Thank goodness for hot water!!

tlwcs

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 06:20:30 am »
I don't wait so long. If they're done this week, they get a payment reminder on Sunday evening. I think any other evening and they're out shopping, running the kids about or down the pub and it remains on the todo list ;D
Text goes. Hi. Payment minder for your window cleaning. Many thanks. Tony

AuRavelling79

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 08:24:48 am »
I rarely chase.

Most of my customers pay within a couple of days except invoiced commercial which are all bang on 30 days as per terms.

The rest of the regulars roll in either paying on the day (mostly by credit transfer with a handful of previous poor payers trained onto standing order) or shortly after.

Occasionally they'll forget or have been away but no worries here.

If it's outstanding the next time I clean there is a section on my slip about a previous clean being unpaid.

I NEVER go beyond two cleans and I'm very wary on new customers too and have sent them a text after about a fortnight which usually gets an "OOh sorry! I won't forget again!" from the well intentioned ditzy types.
It's a game of three halves!

capn sparkle

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 08:43:12 am »
Afternoon (customers name)If you get a chance could you process a payment for your last window clean - (day and date of clean) thanks in advance, Glenn.

I put a star on their account for every text sent - row of stars means dump 'cos they obviously have no regard for me

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 09:09:42 am »
Fair enough Daz,
My debt list was usually around £550
But my partner has taken a huge drop in earnings so I have to find more! And whilst I increase my round I need to maximise my cash flow.
Not good at 67!
Thank goodness for hot water!!

Ruddy hell mate....I thought you'd be taking it easy a bit at your age....I bet you work more hours than me....no pension?

combat1

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 01:24:24 pm »
State pension, small company pension. 10 year old son and partner 17 years younger!!
All worth it.
Luckily I love the work I do.

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 01:43:40 pm »
I always expect payment within 7 days.   These are our terms and theres no need to let them have any more time or let them dictate to you. Remember you are providing customers with credit.

I make it clear on my payment slips that if the payment is not made ontime they will loose there 7 day credit loyalty and may be asked to move to go cardless or pre payment.

It works well for me.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

dazmond

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 02:55:50 pm »
State pension, small company pension. 10 year old son and partner 17 years younger!!
All worth it.
Luckily I love the work I do.

fair play...if your fit enough and enjoying work why not?having a young son should keep you young at heart too.... :)