jk999

Re: Treading on my toes
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 05:10:05 pm »
You will find in this game you might agree to stay away from a patch but what happens if one of your long term customers move into their area are you gonna say you won't do it .because I will follow my long term customers anywhere as long as it not to far

jk999

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 05:12:22 pm »
I had a quite a few  of windy mates who agreed this but still everyone of them was working in the same areas as me so gloves were of now it's every man for his self you don't own the customers at the end of day

Johnny B

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 07:36:52 pm »
I don't worry if someone canvasses my work.

I just try to concentrate on doing an excellent job for a fair price when agreed, and in a polite and professional manner.

I must be doing something right because I don't lose many.

John

Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Marc Stock

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2018, 08:11:50 pm »
There was a new chap round my way canvassing on the road where most of my customers were. I stopped and had a chat to him, said that i respect him for going out and getting the work. Its a free world; more competition is good. It means that there is clearly a demand for our services.

dazmond

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2018, 08:35:28 pm »
There was a new chap round my way canvassing on the road where most of my customers were. I stopped and had a chat to him, said that i respect him for going out and getting the work. Its a free world; more competition is good. It means that there is clearly a demand for our services.

i wouldnt be THAT friendly!next you ll be giving him one of your poles..... ;D
price higher/work harder!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2018, 10:06:05 pm »
No good deed goes unpunished!  ;D

Sometimes those you think you have an understanding with - sometimes even those who you think are your friends - will do something underhand. You might think they would approach you first before scurrying about behind your back and causing you trouble.

If it's not really life changing then let them be. They have to look at themselves in the mirror. They have shown their true colours and they know you will never trust them again.

Don't let it colour your judgement of other people though - just be cautious who you trust in the future.
It's a game of three halves!

Marc Stock

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2018, 10:37:25 pm »
AuRavelling79

Your so wise..........like a mini budda......all covered in fur!     What was that?   You pooped in the refrigerator? and you ate all the cheese???  im not even mad.......amazing

KarlJones

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2018, 11:07:46 pm »
I have had a few lads say things like this to me, in the hope I bend to their request to stay away from their "patch".  But, I know it is not their patch at all, I know that there are several window cleaners in their so called patch. I know it won't make the blindest bit of difference what agreement I come to with that individual, because someone else will approach my customers sooner or later.  But I also know that sooner or later I will approach theirs too.. not because they came on to my patch, but because they do not care and I do not care.  And the reason neither of us care, because we both know it makes no difference.

You are not likely to be your customers first window cleaner, but you might be their best one.  The difference between a good window cleaner and a bad one is huge for the customer, because the mistakes build up over time.  Eventually they look really bad.  If your customer leaves you, it is because they expect the same job done but for less money.  If a customer leaves them, it is because they want a better job for more money.
You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

Johnny B

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2018, 06:08:30 am »
The native window cleaners around my way are a strange lot. They don't acknowledge me if I try to speak to them, and just give me 'the look'. 

It makes it so much easier to take their work, especially the one who did once speak to me - warning me to keep off his patch.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

tlwcs

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2018, 06:27:58 am »
I had a quite a few  of windy mates who agreed this but still everyone of them was working in the same areas as me so gloves were of now it's every man for his self you don't own the customers at the end of day

Perhaps they were following long term customers that had moved onto your patch? 😁😁😁☹️

dazmond

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2018, 08:58:56 am »
in the old days(before my time!)when window cleaners had carts rather than vehicles then it made sense to keep to your own "patch".i still have chunks of work that take me a few days to clean in one area though...

this week im on estate work that takes 4 days to clean....(90+ houses virtually all right next to each other)....

theres other window cleaners on this estate,always have been since i started cleaning on here 25 years ago.at the moment theres 2 other companies(one trad,one wfp).they both clean 2 or 3 houses each....at one time there were 4 window cleaners all cleaning a couple of jobs each....
price higher/work harder!

jk999

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2018, 01:19:23 pm »
😁😁😁😁

Slacky

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2018, 02:06:01 pm »
A  few years back I was approached by a new start wfp'er looking for some advice, he hadnt a clue so I spent a few hours showing him the ropes, as we parted ways he said I hope you wont be offended if I canvass your customers, I just laughed and told him to canvass who he wants, he wasnt the first to canvass my customers and he wont be the last so not worth giving the little git a second thought,

After helping someone out and they responded with that I think I would've replied with 'I hope you won't be offended if you come down one morning to find you've got 4 flat tyres on your van'.

johnny bravo

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2018, 03:15:03 pm »
ive been at it for years now,  if any of my customers left me for someone new , i think they can pizz off, i dont want them,     i wait for  them to ask me if i can re clean them when they bump the prices up,    a big fat NO THANKS too busy with my regular customers who appreciate the way i work and get on with them.

if a windy wants to canvass so what the hell has it got to do with anyone else.

We all canvass at some time,   we dont think ohh  i cant go down that street,   someone already cleans down there.
i am happy with my customers in my areas i dont canvass in that area now.   If i see anyone i just say GOOD LUCK,  you might get a couple,      remember how you started  up.

once you start getting confrontational    you may be having to worry about your van and equipment.    is it worth it