jo5hm4n

How do you respond?
« on: July 11, 2017, 06:27:47 pm »
So today i phoned up one of my customers to let him know we are coming to clean tomorrow for him.  He said "no its okay, dont bother doing them any more", i politely asked him why and he said, i am not really happy about the system you use", i asked if it had left anything on the glass and he said "yes"

Usually i've got my head screwed on and would then go into apologize mode and say maybe something was missed by accident but it wont happen again bla bla bla.

I say this because i have cleaned this customer for over a year now, not 1 single complaint and he chats every time we call round.  All his windows are new-ish recessed seal windows, so never any problems with run downs or anything.  Now couple months ago he started getting a bit of a pain, oh dont bother this week, leave it till next month, ive got alot going on at the moment.  Just excuses...  I've carried on cleaning though for another 6 months since and now hes dropped me because he doesn't like the system i use.

What would you of done in this situation?  I thought maybe i should say, okay i will come back and if windows aren't perfect after next clean dont pay, but i just couldn't be bothered, because i thought, right hes been messing me about anyway lately, maybe its a good thing he's dumped me before i dumped him.

I didn't fight to keep him as a customer at all, would you of done?  It annoys me because i hate losing customers, especially if i feel its my fault or something, but then i have to remember that actually he was messing me about anyway.

I just politely said on the phone, okay no problems, and then we both hung up.

How should i have approached this differently, i am not always on form when a customer out of the blue cancels on me.

andyM

Re: How do you respond?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 06:38:06 pm »
One of the Plebs

simon123

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 06:40:39 pm »
To be honest I got bored reading your long boring story, but I  just wanted to say you never ever phone a customer night before unless its over £80 !
I am getting too old to be around people who  don't understand the concept of  loyalty and honesty.

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 06:41:24 pm »
I'd have done exactly the same except I would have asked him what the issue was he had with the  wfp system and wait for the response .............. not ask him if you had left anything on the glass. He was looking for a reason to cancel you and you gave it to him.

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 06:42:48 pm »
hes probably lying and he cant afford you anymore or maybe he genuinely doesnt like wfp.some customers dont.

you cant please everybody.

ive lost a fair few over the years but not enough to worry me as i keep picking up more and more other jobs.

price higher/work harder!

p1w1

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 06:45:08 pm »
Simply ask if there was a problem with the service provided..if not then Thank you for your past custom and all the very best..goodbye
and would have been forgotten about by the time i hung up the phone.

robbo333

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 06:51:02 pm »
I would have dumped him earlier, when he started to become a problem.
He's obviously got an issue that he's not going to tell you about, so just be polite and move on.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

AuRavelling79

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 07:01:39 pm »
1. Never phone beforehand
2. "Leave it this time" = Dump.
It's a game of three halves!

nathankaye

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 07:01:58 pm »
Ive had the odd customer say not this month etc.
But im understanding why and adapting my responses before it or they become a problem.  As the vast majority of my work is 4 wkly im mostly cleaning clean windows. So I give them the option to go 8wkly at a higher price (but still less than actual 2x4wkly). These types of customers happily do so and they continue being a good customer.
I dont mind for 2 reasons. 1, i keep a customer and 2nd, im slowly building up 8wkly work as im sure most people will soon realise (new customers esp) that they are paying me to clean virtually nothing  ;D

facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Stoots

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 07:08:21 pm »
It nothing to do with anything he says, he simply just doesnt want a window cleaner anymore.

Its a classic sign, once they start being funny and out of character its a slippery slope, skip a clean, start paying late, not as friendly etc...all this means is they want to cancel but cant say to your face so they just mess around until you get the idea.

Soon as they start to play up, you know whats coming, seen it hapoen loads of times.

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 08:07:35 pm »
But im understanding why and adapting my responses before it or they become a problem.  As the vast majority of my work is 4 wkly im mostly cleaning clean windows. So I give them the option to go 8wkly at a higher price (but still less than actual 2x4wkly). These types of customers happily do so and they continue being a good customer.
I dont mind for 2 reasons. 1, i keep a customer and 2nd, im slowly building up 8wkly work as im sure most people will soon realise (new customers esp) that they are paying me to clean virtually nothing  ;D

thats how you ll  build your round up nathan to a much more profitable business by offering new customers longer frequencies for higher prices over time.ive been doing it for years now and your hourly rate with start to increase.its a good feeling. :)

Stoots

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 08:16:37 pm »

thats how you ll  build your round up nathan to a much more profitable business by offering new customers longer frequencies for higher prices over time.ive been doing it for years now and your hourly rate with start to increase.its a good feeling. :)

You`ll still hit a ceiling though being a sole trader, you can only exchange so much time for money.

Tosh

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 08:40:21 pm »
I'd go round a release half a dozen rats through is letterbox.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

simon123

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 08:53:47 pm »
I'd go round a release half a dozen rats through is letterbox.
Where will you obtain the rats ?
I am getting too old to be around people who  don't understand the concept of  loyalty and honesty.

Marc Stock

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 09:17:53 pm »
It's part of being in this game.

They arnt your mates.

paul alan

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 09:28:32 pm »
So today i phoned up one of my customers to let him know we are coming to clean tomorrow for him.  He said "no its okay, dont bother doing them any more", i politely asked him why and he said, i am not really happy about the system you use", i asked if it had left anything on the glass and he said "yes"

Usually i've got my head screwed on and would then go into apologize mode and say maybe something was missed by accident but it wont happen again bla bla bla.

I say this because i have cleaned this customer for over a year now, not 1 single complaint and he chats every time we call round.  All his windows are new-ish recessed seal windows, so never any problems with run downs or anything.  Now couple months ago he started getting a bit of a pain, oh dont bother this week, leave it till next month, ive got alot going on at the moment.  Just excuses...  I've carried on cleaning though for another 6 months since and now hes dropped me because he doesn't like the system i use.

What would you of done in this situation?  I thought maybe i should say, okay i will come back and if windows aren't perfect after next clean dont pay, but i just couldn't be bothered, because i thought, right hes been messing me about anyway lately, maybe its a good thing he's dumped me before i dumped him.

I didn't fight to keep him as a customer at all, would you of done?  It annoys me because i hate losing customers, especially if i feel its my fault or something, but then i have to remember that actually he was messing me about anyway.

How should i have approached this differently, i am not always on form when a customer out of the blue cancels on me.
No need for a response mate, put down the phone and its now in the past. Forget it!

Crack on with the future.

G Griffin

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 09:37:02 pm »
It annoys me because i hate losing customers, especially if i feel its my fault or something, but then i have to remember that actually he was messing me about anyway.
There's your problem. Why let losing a customer bother you?
You had to prompt him into a reason for cancelling which tells me didn't have a real beef, so let him go.
If you can't make him happy let someone else try.
And fail. Probably.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

windowswashed

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 10:26:09 pm »
Our customers are not our friends, Some of them will lie and make excuses why they don't want windows cleaned after a short initial period, normally they are too proud to tell you they can't afford it, others have silly rules like they work nights and don't want their sleep disturbed in the morning, others don't trust you, etc.
Move on and forget it, why worry about the odd one that isn't worth finding out the real reason, who cares........we only care when they are regular and pay regularly, it's a job and not a life

jo5hm4n

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 10:47:07 pm »
Thanks for all the comments guys.  Alot of my problem is i suffer badly with anxiety so often i way overthink things that are really not important.  Liking losing customers which inevitably happens over time regardless of what you do.

Sometimes it's no big deal but today it just got me thinking that is all.  Already picked up 2 new customers on the same round, so customer is replaced already, no sweat.

It's easy to get attached to customers sometimes, the guy was always really nice so when they just dump you it's always worse then just an average customer who pays you and you dont even ever really talk to them.

Need to remember, it's always strictly business, not personal.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 10:54:00 pm »
Need to remember, it's always strictly business, not personal.

Like the Mafia 🙁

rosskesava

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 01:52:37 am »
To be honest I got bored reading your long boring story, but I  just wanted to say you never ever phone a customer night before unless its over £80 !

Is that the truth? £80? Why that amount?

I don't have rules as such. Each customer is different.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

Walter Mitty

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 09:37:28 am »

It probably wouldn't have got this far with me as I drop quite early once the messing about starts.  It was already clear that he was an unwilling customer.  The unwilling usually mess around too much.
Had one only yesterday.  It's down a long walkway so I have to backpack it.  Got there after walking 20+ kilos about 150 yards.  They have now blocked access to the rear gate and no-one home.  No access - no service.  Won't even contact them.  A pity because they've always been OK (never actually met them in over a year, but the BACS payments come through just fine).  Will replace them and more before the week is out.
Had another one a few months ago.  Cleaned off a ladder for a couple of years before switching to WFP in 2005.  Never an issue until a few months ago when they decided they no longer liked WFP .  11 years with WFP before they no longer liked it.  This must be something of a record.

davids3511

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 10:47:31 am »
Thanks for all the comments guys.  Alot of my problem is i suffer badly with anxiety
You gotta deal with this, the next way it will impact your business will be a fear of increasing prices. When I first started I took ages to make sure properties were perfect (ask jonboywalton75) and a counselor I was seeing explained it was because I was confrontation avoidant because of issues in my childhood, I didn't want to deal with an angry customer so I made sure job was spot on. Nowdays, I wouldn't say I don't give a crap but prices go up, jobs are done to a high standard but I don't aim to be perfect anymore. However, I'm still dealing with some prices being too low because I was afraid to out them up. Don't fall into that trap.

dazmond

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 06:33:53 pm »
Thanks for all the comments guys.  Alot of my problem is i suffer badly with anxiety
You gotta deal with this, the next way it will impact your business will be a fear of increasing prices. When I first started I took ages to make sure properties were perfect (ask jonboywalton75) and a counselor I was seeing explained it was because I was confrontation avoidant because of issues in my childhood, I didn't want to deal with an angry customer so I made sure job was spot on. Nowdays, I wouldn't say I don't give a crap but prices go up, jobs are done to a high standard but I don't aim to be perfect anymore. However, I'm still dealing with some prices being too low because I was afraid to out them up. Don't fall into that trap.

your still the same mate you havent changed!(i see you out and about here and there)and it takes you ages to clean a property.ive usually done 2 or 3 while your still on the same house. ;D ;D ;)

dazmond

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 06:39:35 pm »
i too try and avoid confrontation if at all possible.

i hate it.(due to violence in the home when i was a child too)

jonboywalton75

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2017, 08:21:08 pm »

Compared to you Dave, I'm very splash and dash ;D

PHILIP HARDY

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2017, 08:40:04 pm »
To the opening poster, you have to learn to live with dissapointments, I would suggest the Custie has been wanting out for quite a while but as you have been going the "extra mile" with ringing prior,always chatty and doing a great job you have probably got an extra 4 months out of him before he plucked up the courage to finish you,
Things change in peoples lives and you have to accept it, we all do, I am in the middle of a real slow payer clampdown as Im too busy to be cleaning and waiting weeks for payment, so the "slower" ones are been asked to "speed up" or look elsewhere, im probabley going to upset some but in the end the business and me will be in a stronger position.
The Stupid Neither Forgive Nor Forget
The Naive Forgive And Forget
The Wise Forgive But Don't Forget

8weekly

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2017, 07:50:50 am »
I had one last night:

Hello!

I have just transferred £18.00 into your account for cleaning the windows today at ** Newlands Avenue.

If it is OK with you, we have decided to make it a one off job.

Thanks,

Mrs Jackson

Reply:

No problem, I will send you an invoice for the difference. One off jobs are 3 x regular price.

Regards,

Steve

davids3511

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2017, 08:03:56 am »

your still the same mate you havent changed!(i see you out and about here and there)and it takes you ages to clean a property.ive usually done 2 or 3 while your still on the same house. ;D ;D ;)
Come and say hello Daz, there's a few window pro vans about but I'm in a transit.

dazmond

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2017, 08:05:41 am »
I had one last night:

Hello!

I have just transferred £18.00 into your account for cleaning the windows today at ** Newlands Avenue.

Thanks,

Mrs Jackson

Reply:

No problem, I will send you an invoice for the difference. One off jobs are 3 x regular price.

Regards,

Steve

yep ive had that once or twice in the past.best thing to do is charge double for first clean(or a bit more than a normal maintenance clean)

dazmond

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2017, 08:08:55 am »

Come and say hello Daz, there's a few window pro vans about but I'm in a transit.

i only see the dispatch/scudo type van occasionally.(at least you ve taught your staff to do a proper job!) ;D

8weekly

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2017, 08:11:20 am »
I had one last night:

Hello!

Thanks,

Mrs Jackson

Reply:

Regards,

Steve

yep ive had that once or twice in the past.best thing to do is charge double for first clean(or a bit more than a normal maintenance clean)
When I was working alone I did, but I'm trying to grow so take more risks with people these days. My first question when I get a call "Are you looking for a regular service or a one off?" If they say one off or hesitate I say too busy or it's 3x.

davids3511

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2017, 08:29:16 pm »

Compared to you Dave, I'm very splash and dash ;D
;D

davids3511

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2017, 08:31:08 pm »

i only see the dispatch/scudo type van occasionally.(at least you ve taught your staff to do a proper job!) ;D
He's happy with what hes doing. I've had a few chats with him and he's happy with how much he gets through. He's a franchisee so really, once hes ok I keep my nose out.