Jimmy Jon

Not window cleaning related but look what happens if a gas canister explodes in your van. Happened earlier today, the guy was very lucky.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/shocking-aftermath-explosion-redland-put-40054

Smurf

Re: Look what happens when a gas canister explodes in the back of a van
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 09:33:54 pm »
The bottle did not explode the gas leaked and went bang much like this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD4gIgVQD14

Well they do say smoking can kill.  lol

martin hulstone

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 09:34:58 pm »
Well done for posting. Maybe a wake up call for all the people who put a gas canister in there van  thinking it will be ok . I would find it very unlikely his insurance company will replace his van.

Smurf

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 09:41:58 pm »
Transporting a gas bottle is not illegal now is it so if the chap is fully comp I can't see why they would not pay up.

Jimmy Jon

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 09:43:04 pm »
The bottle did not explode the gas leaked and went bang much like this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD4gIgVQD14

Good video!  :)

martin hulstone

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 09:44:50 pm »
Not illegal to transport, but I would imagine illegal to use in the van unless you have the insurance to prove otherwise. Don't caravans/ motor homes carry the bottles externally?

martin hulstone

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 09:48:58 pm »
Calor gas own website states that all gas bottles should not be used inside a vehicle andstowed outside.

Smurf

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 09:56:59 pm »
Not illegal to transport, but I would imagine illegal to use in the van unless you have the insurance to prove otherwise. Don't caravans/ motor homes carry the bottles externally?

This is a gas hot water van mount and no the gas bottle is not external http://www.concept2o.com/services.htm

Smurf

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 10:01:16 pm »
Calor gas own website states that all gas bottles should not be used inside a vehicle andstowed outside.

Funny you say that as this too is a calor gas approved hot water install used for wfp.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSsRn6PwZ-w

Peeps do have a choice but we all know gas carries  a higher risk than a diesel fired webasto type water heater.

martin hulstone

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 10:30:21 pm »

Funny you say that as this too is a calor gas approved hot water install used for wfp.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSsRn6PwZ-w
Firstly,  the gas bottle involved has been secured in a galvanised box, most window cleaners just open the back door. secondly, by uk law ,carryng compressed gas in a van has to have a rotating rooftop device, and third the gas bottle has to be isolated for every journey.
How many window cleaners do that, and also he does not stipulate what rules give him a calor gas approved licence to use it.

/
Peeps do have a choice but we all know gas carries  a higher risk than a diesel fired webasto type water heater.

martin hulstone

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 10:33:43 pm »

This is a gas hot water van mount and no the gas bottle is not external http://www.concept2o.com/services.htm
Its a website. If i said i was the best window cleaner in the world on my websites, is that what i am???

Smurf

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 10:43:12 pm »
Ionic's very first hot water systems were actually gas water heaters before some bright spark decided that they where dangerous. lol

martin hulstone

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 10:43:56 pm »
Probably why they are diesel now.

Smurf

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 10:44:52 pm »
Indeed.

Plankton

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 10:51:23 pm »
Seen worse pics from acetylene disasters, all that was left from one chaps van was the guys hand or finger with a ring on the gear numpty! (auto corrected gear k n o b) it's not a bad word is it?
BOC Gases also shut down a rail line and wreaked their depot down south from an acetylene cylinder that fell over!

Tom White

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 11:04:39 pm »

I wish I could give you two likes for that one.   ;D

Plankton

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 11:29:31 pm »

I wish I could give you two likes for that one.   ;D
Michael Caine springs to mind.

robert mitchell

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2017, 12:36:52 am »

I think you will find the gas tank is external on these , a proper lpg tank that you can fill at a petrol staion with autogas.
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

Tosh

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2017, 01:58:09 am »

Where's that then?
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

martin hulstone

Under calor gas technical advise page. It also states it is not to be used near anything electrical so the use of a pump would also deem it unfit to be used in the van really.

Spruce

Motorhomes can't have their gas bottles outside like a caravan does.
But they are in a compartment sealed to the inside. Its only accessible from the outside and has vent holes in the floor should gas leak. This is an approved method of carrying gas in a motorhome.

Nowadays the trend seems to be toward model specific under slung LPG vapour tanks with the fittings in a valve box and sealed cover with a vent pipe. At one time these tanks could be fitted inside as well with the appropriate brackets. The valve box would be vented outside through a hole in the floor. Not sure if this is still legal or if vehicle specific under slung tanks are the way to go to save space.   

Reach2clean in the south (I think the business has now folded) used to offer a sealed cabinet to put the gas cylinder in vented through the floor with the gas heater above it. They built a similar system to Arthur at Sureclean systems but they vented their heater through the roof.   I don't know if Arthur's cabinet is sealed.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Marc Stock

Arthur will polish it out.

https://youtu.be/UliP8lREHv4

martin hulstone

But they are in a compartment sealed to the inside. Its only accessible from the outside and has vent holes in the floor should gas leak. This is an approved method of carrying gas in a motorhome.

Nowadays the trend seems to be toward model specific under slung LPG vapour tanks with the fittings in a valve box and sealed cover with a vent pipe. At one time these tanks could be fitted inside as well with the appropriate brackets. The valve box would be vented outside through a hole in the floor. Not sure if this is still legal or if vehicle specific under slung tanks are the way to go to save space.   

Reach2clean in the south (I think the business has now folded) used to offer a sealed cabinet to put the gas cylinder in vented through the floor with the gas heater above it. They built a similar system to Arthur at Sureclean systems but they vented their heater through the roof.   I don't know if Arthur's cabinet is sealed.
Very informative post, thank-you.

Spruce

Arthur will polish it out.

https://youtu.be/UliP8lREHv4

I watched most of the videos on his channel. I think he's brilliant. ;D

Tosh

Under calor gas technical advise page. It also states it is not to be used near anything electrical so the use of a pump would also deem it unfit to be used in the van really.

Have you got a link for that please?
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

Dry Clean

Your allowed to carry a certain weight/amount of gas in a vehicle such as a van or car, but I would be very surprised if
you would be allowed to run a gas appliance in the vehicle especially if unattended and in a built up area.
Unfortunately it one of those things where we will never know the truth until the worst happens, but I honestly believe its only a
matter of time before some Clampet with a cheap fleebay water heater answers all our questions/ concerns.

dazmond

after the other months gas leak i wont be using a gas heater again.it really shook me up!i took my gas bottle back and took the heater to the tip.ive already saved myself £150 in gas in 3 months.ive not missed the hot water one bit.
price higher/work harder!

The Jester of Wibbly

Good post.

Also the gas canister is placed into saftey mode whilst in transit with the safty cap.

Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Dave Willis

Did he have the cylinder in the cab then? Looks like the door was blown off and  the roof but the bulkhead is still there? Bet he's a bit deaf in the left ear now  :o

Dave Willis

Actually, looking again at those pics ..... how on earth did he survive that?

Spruce

Actually, looking again at those pics ..... how on earth did he survive that?

That is unbelievable tbh. But that link Smurf put up also has the lad climb out of the van without a seeming injury. It also blew the windscreen out.

Tosh

Did he have the cylinder in the cab then? Looks like the door was blown off and  the roof but the bulkhead is still there? Bet he's a bit deaf in the left ear now  :o

It certainly looks that way. I think the insurance company might bale on him on this one. He had the gas on and connected to a BBQ in the cab. Also it would've been unsecured. I wonder if he's a smoker.

k.diver

yeh bet hes a smoker