DaveG

Dave Willis, Johnny 2kw immersion?
« on: January 03, 2017, 10:49:57 am »
Hi chaps,putting my 2kw immersion in today,  how long do you run yours for?

Thanks Dave
You can't polish a turd

Jonny 87

Re: Dave Willis, Johnny 2kw immersion?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 12:06:33 pm »
It depends on the temperature of the water in the tank, so in the winter when the water is really cold, it needs about 10 hours for mine to get warm. (About 35-40 degrees).

Whereas in the summer or if my tank is still a bit warmer from the previous day's water then 6-8 hours gives the same temp.

It's a bit of trial and error.

Does your immersion have a thermostat? You can play around with that and set that right for your tank, and you'll achieve the right temperature.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

martin hulstone

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 02:33:34 pm »
What is an approximate  figure to run it each night compared to gas on demand?

Dave Willis

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 04:11:34 pm »
Find out what you pay per kilowatt for your electric then multiply the hours. So if you've got two kw on for ten hours that's 20 kw hours.

Something like 12p per KWH so ten hours would be £2.40 around £12 per week which is a bit less than I spent on gas. I used to get through a bottle of gas about once a fortnight and pay something like £27 a time.

Dave Willis

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 04:22:14 pm »
It depends on the temperature of the water in the tank, so in the winter when the water is really cold, it needs about 10 hours for mine to get warm. (About 35-40 degrees).

Whereas in the summer or if my tank is still a bit warmer from the previous day's water then 6-8 hours gives the same temp.

Does your immersion have a thermostat? You can play around with that and set that right for your tank, and you'll achieve the right temperature.

I left mine on most nights over the Christmas period. The tank was well over 40 degrees this morning, bit hotter than I normally run.

G & M

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 05:34:05 pm »
Will a two KWH immersion work off an ordinary socket?

DaveG

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 05:49:48 pm »

Thanks Jonny,

Yes it has a thermostat, I've set it to max for now. I am using a timer so I've set it to come on from 10 til 2am then 4 til 7. Just a bit of trial and error really. I've got 500 litres in the tank so it's not full..

Just would be nice to have warmish water and not frozen pumps! I'll still take reels out for now until I've got the settings right.

You can't polish a turd

Jonny 87

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 07:34:25 pm »

Thanks Jonny,

Yes it has a thermostat, I've set it to max for now. I am using a timer so I've set it to come on from 10 til 2am then 4 til 7. Just a bit of trial and error really. I've got 500 litres in the tank so it's not full..

Just would be nice to have warmish water and not frozen pumps! I'll still take reels out for now until I've got the settings right.

That should work out nicely with a 500 litre tank.

Should definitely keep the van from
Freezing up atleast.

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

martin hulstone

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 08:42:23 pm »
Find out what you pay per kilowatt for your electric then multiply the hours. So if you've got two kw on for ten hours that's 20 kw hours.

Something like 12p per KWH so ten hours would be £2.40 around £12 per week which is a bit less than I spent on gas. I used to get through a bottle of gas about once a fortnight and pay something like £27 a time.
Thanks Dave,
 I think i prefer this approach rather than risking my insurance being invalid with a gas bottle in the van, plus a lot safer as well.

Dave Willis

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 09:31:00 pm »
Well, that's the reason I've done it. This time of year I'd be using at least 1kw of electricity per hour  anyway just to keep the van frost free. You don't get the high temperatures of a boiler but there's very little to go wrong. My tank has an insulated jacket and stays warm the whole day.

DaveG

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 02:36:02 pm »

Thanks Jonny,

That should work out nicely with a 500 litre tank.

Should definitely keep the van from
Freezing up atleast.

Just under 30 degrees this morning, which was nice and nice to have soft hoses again
You can't polish a turd

DeLuce

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 05:25:02 pm »
Will a two KWH immersion work off an ordinary socket?

Yeah, it should be OK. Mine runs from normal mains, but I've got one of those cut out switches fitted ( can't remember proper name for it!), so if anything strange happens it trips. I used to have the 3kw immersion element but it used to get scarily hot on the plug  :o,  so changed over to a 2kw.
Don't forget to use some decent cable for it though

G & M

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 06:10:56 pm »
Thanks Rigby

DaveG

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 06:58:28 pm »
I've used 16 amp cable etc, just to be safe
You can't polish a turd

combat1

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2017, 10:07:07 pm »
Ok, immersion sounds good.
Two questions
Which is the best unit to buy? And how is it  mounted in the top of the tank?
Think I will give it a go.
Thanks.

DaveG

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 05:58:21 am »
I got mine from here http://www.heatrodshop.com/

You have to drill a hole low down in your tank
You can't polish a turd

combat1

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 11:47:51 am »
Thanks Dave. Am going ahead with that.
Ģuessing an 11inch would be about right for a small tank.

DaveG

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2017, 12:45:49 pm »
Thanks Dave. Am going ahead with that.
Ģuessing an 11inch would be about right for a small tank.

I would go for a longer one, just make sure it's not too long and it doesn't hit a baffle.
You can't polish a turd

combat1

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2017, 01:48:11 pm »
Ok. Thanks. Much appreciate your advice.

combat1

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 05:57:31 pm »
Hi Dave.
14 inch 2kw heaters are really rare. Spent ages looking.
Dont know where the guys are getting them.
Did the heat rod shop make you one up as a special?
Thanks.
Chris