jk999

Controllers for running pumps
« on: November 13, 2016, 05:24:50 pm »
Which is the best but cheapest controller for connecting to  pumps I e varistream ,spring ect .I don't want to pay through nose for one but I want the most reliable  one I'm fed up of using the cheap Chinese pwm switches break every other week  so need a decent controller cheers in advance kev

Smurf

Re: Controllers for running pumps
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 05:27:35 pm »
I've used spring digi controllers for years and have never let me down yet.

Mick Kent

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 05:28:14 pm »
Why not just use the pump and get an open and shut valve to control the water flow. Cheapest option and less to go wrong?

DaveG

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 05:37:17 pm »
I've never had any problems with Varistreams
You can't polish a turd

jk999

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 05:43:45 pm »
Why not just use the pump and get an open and shut valve to control the water flow. Cheapest option and less to go wrong?
I have that about that ,I have just been looking on line and can't believe how much digital controllers are ,but I have found some on eBay for around  £40 offering 12 months warranty has anyone got any knowledge on these or the seller

Smurf

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 06:41:10 pm »
Cheap china crap insides maybe?

mufcglen

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 07:43:07 pm »
The ones on eBay for around £40 are just the cheap Chinese controllers put in a box pal, they can last 5 mins or last forever!
I used to sell them myself both kinds with the inbuilt fuse and no display and the ones with a digital display, I use the digital display ones myself now rather than the spring controllers as i used to find the spring controllers using to be funny on voltage and needed perfect wiring connections.
Here's the ones I use, just get yourself an electrical box, throw it all in with an  inline fuse and a pump with pressure switch😎
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232072650529

jk999

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 07:56:21 pm »
How long do they normally last you and can you use them with an 100 psi sureflow pump

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 08:14:20 pm »
Must admit when I  looked at these cheap Chinese controllers I thought the max current rating to be a bit low on some of them. The running current of a Sureflo running flat out is about or close to the rating of these controllers. I had the feeling they wouldn't last long with these pumps. They would possibly work better on a trolley using a backpack style pump as these pumps use less current than their big brothers.
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

CleanClear

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 08:38:06 pm »
Which is the best but cheapest controller for connecting to  pumps I e varistream ,spring ect .I don't want to pay through nose for one but I want the most reliable  one I'm fed up of using the cheap Chinese pwm switches break every other week  so need a decent controller cheers in advance kev
http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=192847.msg1670554;topicseen#msg1670554
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

CleanClear

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 08:42:31 pm »

OUt of interest, show us a picture of your wiring from battery to pump. That way we may be batter placed to advise you ?

jk999

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 09:58:32 pm »
I don't know how to put photos on.

CleanClear

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 10:57:29 pm »
I don't know how to put photos on.

Try an work round this problem, and give us some pics. I get a sense you are having problems and treating controllers like "consumables". They're not. Wire them correctly and they good. No matter where its  Gardiners controller, Pure Freedom, Spring or cheap Chinese PMW controller, if yours are failing then its unilkey to be the controllers ? You may need to look more closely to what you are doing.

jk999

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 11:30:04 pm »
I know how to wire them up .an auto electrician  showed me how first time and also drew me a diagram. Two wires from battery .two wires from pump wired to the connection s which say battery and motor not rocket science lol .

CleanClear

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 11:39:49 pm »
I know how to wire them up .an auto electrician  showed me how first time and also drew me a diagram. Two wires from battery .two wires from pump wired to the connection s which say battery and motor not rocket science lol .
Well get the same fella to tell you where you going wrong then. I've had no problems with mine in six years. So its obviously something he's telling you. Problem solved. After all, he's an expert..........

jk999

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 09:00:50 am »
I even copied tosh s diagram on here same as what he showed me exactly same .I asked a few months ago if there was an English version of the pwm switches but no one's seams to know

jk999

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2016, 09:02:01 am »
So are you using same switch as you started with six years ago if not how often do you change them

Spruce

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2016, 09:11:00 am »
We have the same MK1 digital Varistreams on my van that I fitted in December 2007. (Purchased from Williamson Pumps 19th December 2007.)

My son has the MK3 Varistream analog controller on his van that was purchased back in 2006. The blue pressure switch pot on the pc board is a little temperamental at times but a couple of turns to clean the contacts sorts it out.

All are working well.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2016, 10:16:00 am »

just buy a spring controller mate.they are very reliable.stop being a cheapskate. :)you ve probably lost/spent more money messing about with cheap crap and the hassle that goes with it(downtime) than if you d bought a proper controller in the first place.
price higher/work harder!

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 10:33:24 am »
These work perfectly - I used them for years and never had an issue: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2000W-40A-12V-DC-Motor-Speed-Control-PWM-HHO-RC-Controlador-MAX-10-50V-12khz-/322289037255?hash=item4b09ec6fc7:g:CJ0AAOSwOyJX-2kO

Just pop it in a waterproof box (Less than £5 off ebay) and add a fuse - simples.