8weekly

Re: Storms & Staff
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2016, 08:27:03 pm »
Jesus, just get them to work in the rain! 24 hour guarantee for all customer, easy

We are talking about storms not a bit of rain, 11 named ones over the winter causing all sorts of havoc.
Obviously it depends where you live, but not a day lost here through the winter.

Smudger

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 08:36:45 pm »
Naming a bit a Rain and a few puffs of wind is just sensationalising the weather for no good reason, all started by an American weather channel  ::)roll

Having said that as an employer you send them out and they get hit by a falling tress, a flying wheelie bin, slipped over on ice, crashed the van due to snow, then your attitude may be called into question..

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

8weekly

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2016, 08:39:50 pm »
Naming a bit a Rain and a few puffs of wind is just sensationalising the weather for no good reason, all started by an American weather channel  ::)roll

Having said that as an employer you send them out and they get hit by a falling tress, a flying wheelie bin, slipped over on ice, crashed the van due to snow, then your attitude may be called into question..

Darran
I agree, but we've had no snow, ice or high winds during the working day in Newbury.

Smudger

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 08:46:54 pm »
Neither have we, and all the named storms have barely be out of the ordinary either.

But as a general discussion it sounds like some will send staff out regardless of the weather

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

SeanK

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2016, 08:53:07 pm »
Totally agree naming storms is nonsense, I stop when the pole/brush gets too hard to control and the water starts blowing
back onto the glass off the concrete sills and walls.

Smudger

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2016, 09:00:45 pm »
Totally agree naming storms is nonsense, I stop when the pole/brush gets too hard to control and the water starts blowing

+1

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2016, 09:05:30 pm »

I thought you used extreme brushes? Any wind would send them flying.

steve rix

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2016, 12:34:05 am »
In terms of pricing we allow for one lost day a week. Price the job and add 25%. Simples
[/quote

We are trad. So weather affects us more than wfp.
I know we will be slagged off for living in the past etc, but my blokes earn a very good wage (as do I).
We just cant work in the raion

Dave Willis

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2016, 05:34:55 pm »
Why not?

ChumBucket

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2016, 05:42:48 pm »

Ditto. This Is Ciu though- the only place where you get window cleaners unaffected by weather!  ;D

steve rix

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2016, 06:45:32 pm »
Tend to leave marks, cant detail, customers dont like it nor do I!!

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2016, 09:46:35 am »
When there is significantly bad weather such as storms etc what do you get your staff to do?

I am looking to take someone on shortly and had been wondering this today.

I had thought if I know a very bad storm that would last all day was due I could text all customers offering inside window cleans at say 1.5 the outside price for the next day. The only other things I could think of was leafletting unless you have inside add ons such as carpet cleaning.

Just curious as to what you do on such days, even if you don't employ but like to work even on the odd day we get that is extreme.

Tom :)

we clean whatever the weather.  weather doesn't stop you cleaning windows. we offer a free call back any time if their windows aren;t right.

if the vans ever off the road staff are immediately on annual leave the next day till fixed

How can that be right or fair??
Its not the staffs fault if the vans are of the road (unless they crashed them of course).
I agree. Very unfair. Get them leafleting or canvassing. I have planned work on the vans around annual leave mind you.

I have tried them leafleting before and they are not very good at it and hate it.

they cost me not far off twice the price of the actual leaflets i use so it makes no sense for me to spend the money on them doing it.

they aren't canvassers either and i wouldn't get the right returns on that. also i don't think its a great idea to have staff trained up in both canvassing and window cleaning. once they have both it's a short step from them setting themselves, which isn;t something i want to encourage.

you are allowed to tell staff when to take annual leave. we shut down over christmas too and all take 2 weeks leave then.

the truth is emergency leave happens very rarely anyhow. we work all weather. the only days we've missed have been when it's literally been too cold to use WFP or too icy to get the van off the drive.  my van is new so rarely have issues with that and if and when they need to take a days Annual Leave they are quite keen on it. my window cleaners are the highest paid people in my business bar me.
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

robert mitchell

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2016, 10:21:31 am »
When there is significantly bad weather such as storms etc what do you get your staff to do?

I had thought if I know a very bad storm that would last all day was due I could text all customers offering inside window cleans at say 1.5 the outside price for the next day. The only other things I could think of was leafletting unless you have inside add ons such as carpet cleaning.

Just curious as to what you do on such days, even if you don't employ but like to work even on the odd day we get that is extreme.

we clean whatever the weather.  weather doesn't stop you cleaning windows. we offer a free call back any time if their windows aren;t right.

if the vans ever off the road staff are immediately on annual leave the next day till fixed

I have had jobs where they tell you when to take leave , all planned at beginning of year ......not sure if tis different for short notice though .
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2016, 10:49:53 am »

I have had jobs where they tell you when to take leave , all planned at beginning of year ......not sure if tis different for short notice though .

you are supposed to give notice, it's something like 1 days notice per day of leave, but i have never had them complain. if its something i can book in to be fixed they get more notice, or i just adjust the days they are working, so they might have to work a saturday in place of the day van is off the road
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk