TomSE

Storms & Staff
« on: March 31, 2016, 07:38:01 pm »
When there is significantly bad weather such as storms etc what do you get your staff to do?

I am looking to take someone on shortly and had been wondering this today.

I had thought if I know a very bad storm that would last all day was due I could text all customers offering inside window cleans at say 1.5 the outside price for the next day. The only other things I could think of was leafletting unless you have inside add ons such as carpet cleaning.

Just curious as to what you do on such days, even if you don't employ but like to work even on the odd day we get that is extreme.

Tom :)

stevon

Re: Storms & Staff
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 07:46:11 pm »
once customers sign  up,you text them the night b4.unless its a sunami -crack on

SeanK

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 07:49:07 pm »
Its not really practical to arrange interior work to fit in with bad weather so I wouldn't go down that road.
The employers in my area seem to work flexible hours and  make the shortfall up over the month.

wfp master

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 08:23:03 pm »
When there is significantly bad weather such as storms etc what do you get your staff to do?

I had thought if I know a very bad storm that would last all day was due I could text all customers offering inside window cleans at say 1.5 the outside price for the next day. The only other things I could think of was leafletting unless you have inside add ons such as carpet cleaning.

Just curious as to what you do on such days, even if you don't employ but like to work even on the odd day we get that is extreme.

dont work in it.

steve rix

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 12:48:38 am »
Just pay them!! We build into our prices a lost days work a week.If it rains sent the staff  home and come back tomorrow. In prolonged spells of bad weather they have to catch up by working sats.

ascjim

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 05:15:10 pm »
Carry on working, get them to wear water proof.

Unless you are trad, then you can't work in the rain,

Smudger

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 10:07:54 pm »
Bad weather - no work no pay.

They either work longer days the rest of the week or Saturday is catch up

Otherwise known as flexi hours

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 02:17:50 pm »

we clean whatever the weather.  weather doesn't stop you cleaning windows. we offer a free call back any time if their windows aren;t right.

if the vans ever off the road staff are immediately on annual leave the next day till fixed
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

steve rix

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 03:01:58 pm »

we clean whatever the weather.  weather doesn't stop you cleaning windows. we offer a free call back any time if their windows aren;t right.

if the vans ever off the road staff are immediately on annual leave the next day till fixed

How can that be right or fair??
Its not the staffs fault if the vans are of the road (unless they crashed them of course).

8weekly

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 04:52:53 pm »

Its not the staffs fault if the vans are of the road (unless they crashed them of course).
I agree. Very unfair. Get them leafleting or canvassing. I have planned work on the vans around annual leave mind you.

Tosh

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 01:11:23 pm »

its probably illegal too.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

SeanK

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 04:03:51 pm »

Its not fair but are you really going to listen to anybody who says they are never stopped by weather, its nothing more than
bluster on top of bluster and of no help to the subject.

8weekly

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 04:17:21 pm »

Its not fair but are you really going to listen to anybody who says they are never stopped by weather, its nothing more than
It's not often your're right, but you're wrong again.

SeanK

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 04:45:37 pm »

It's not often your're right, but you're wrong again.

It wasn't meant for you 8 weekly obviously if you live and work in an area where a millionaire is considered poor then your
going to have enough money to control the weather, I bet you have never even seen a storm.

SeanK

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 05:10:55 pm »
It not just storms what about minus/icy conditions and snow, even if you could do the work yourself there must be a point
where it wouldn't be safe to allow your employees to work, if nothing else your insurance wouldn't cover you if anything should
happen.
Surely all you employers out there will have done a risk assessment outlining what conditions would be considered safe or unsafe
to work in and agreed to by your insurance company.

David Beecroft

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2016, 11:02:37 pm »
Surely you have to factor in lost work days when you do your sums regarding employing people. All businesses have slack periods for one reason or another, at least our work is cyclical, we don't have to look for new customers each month. If you're going to be an employer you have to look at annual turnover, profit/loss to see what you can afford to pay out in wages. If you can't factor in lost days here and there, you can't afford to employ someone. Being an employer is a responsibility not to be taken lightly. ???

Smudger

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 06:42:55 am »
That is really the greatest thing about window cleaning, the work repeats - at this moment I'm hard pressed to think of another business that follows this other than hairdressers, even then people may go to a different one occasionally.

Lost work days are in reality very few are far between, ( and almost zero in Norfolk ) and can be made up with no fuss over the following couple of days.

Although hourly paid, wages are similar to a salary the guys get a set wage for hours per month, over these hours are overtime the following month  ( basic + overtime if you will ) in over three years no one had ever done less than the basic working hours in the monthly period.

If it's a rain day, the guys don't have to work, dry days instead of 7 hours they do 8 or 9 or come in Saturday.

Works well for us, and the staff seem happy with that to.

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

steve rix

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 03:58:05 pm »
In terms of pricing we allow for one lost day a week. Price the job and add 25%. Simples

ascjim

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 05:46:01 pm »
Jesus, just get them to work in the rain! 24 hour guarantee for all customer, easy

SeanK

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 08:02:53 pm »
Jesus, just get them to work in the rain! 24 hour guarantee for all customer, easy

We are talking about storms not a bit of rain, 11 named ones over the winter causing all sorts of havoc.