Poll

Your Opinion?

Fine, handled well and professionaly executed.
30.8%
8 (30.8%)
You doofus, you should of dumped her from the start, and stuck her parcel in the hedge
46.2%
12 (46.2%)
Should of told her to shove off
23.1%
6 (23.1%)
Should of given her a 6 monthly clean and send her a bill for £250

0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Marc Stock

How did i handle this?
« on: February 15, 2016, 08:41:36 pm »
I have been trying really hard over the last couple of years to make sure that I am polite with customers no matter what/how they mess about or treat my service. When I was a lot younger I wouldn't think twice about letting a customer know exactly what I thought of them; these days though I am focused on trying to be consistent with everyone I meet even if they are a PITA to deal with as I am really trying to focus on my StockClean brand for an extra van at the end of this year.

This customer was a new customer I picked up last year, the prev occupants of the house sold up, and passed my details onto these new people, so I picked up these and kept the existing customers in their new place also. (bonus) she was very keen to keep me on, and always very polite and happy to see me.

Suffice to say that despite her enthusiastic ego concerning the window cleaning service provided by me she has been a pain in the backside with deciding what sort of service she would like. She got cancelled tonight and I want some opinions on how it was handled.

here is the text history for customer starting from July '15

Hello Mrs ***. It's marc stock here from stockclean, the window cleaner. I have booked you in for the 17th July. All the best marc

Hi ***. You had a delivery whilst I was cleaning the windows, so I signed for it and popped it under the*****. All the best..

Hi Marc have transferred money for window clean. Please can we change the clean to every 3 months, so next due in Dec-Jan. many thanks ***

Sure no worries ill pop you together with house opposite.

Great thank you!

Moring ***.. Just a text to let you know im am next doing quarterly window cleaning on the 15th January. As you wanted to go to a quarterly window clean is this ok for you? Best....marc

Hi ***. I have you down for a window clean tomorrow. I am on my quarterly rounds and havent heard back from you yet. Im assuming that you dont want a window cleaning service if no reply this evening. All the best marc

Oh sorry Marc was away when your last message came. Please can we not have a clean tomorrow but include us in the next round! Many thanks ***

Okay *** So the 12th February is when i am next in your area doing quarterly cleans. Is this ok?☺

Yes great! Thank you

Cool its booked in for February. All the best..

All done-please can we delay our next clean to 6months (Aug). Many thanks ***

Sorry *** no i cant. Its a quarterly service.

Would you like me to remove you from the round ***? As you originally wanted to go from a bi monthly to quarterly  and i said id book it in with property of the same frequency i dont have anything every 6 months as its just not worth the time

Yes please remove from the round. Many thanks ***

Done... all the best

8weekly

Re: How did i handle this?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 08:50:44 pm »
In my opinion your messages should be a statement "I will be along to clean your windows tomorrow". Why ask "is that ok with you?".

I would have and refuse all but 4 weekly or 8 weekly cleans.

But this customer is a messer anyway. All customers like this should be dropped. They are a false economy.

deeege

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 08:52:44 pm »
She sounds like a pain in the arris, so you'd be best rid, however.......

Why are you texting and asking permission to clean when you have already agreed on the frequency, that's just inviting a "not this time thanks".

Also sorry to say it but your texts to her come across as kind of desperate. Coming across a bit more confident would do you  good.

Edit: posted at same time as 8 weekly.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

SB Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 08:55:32 pm »
In my opinion your messages should be a statement "I will be along to clean your windows tomorrow". Why ask "is that ok with you?".

I would have and refuse all but 4 weekly or 8 weekly cleans.

But this customer is a messer anyway. All customers like this should be dropped. They are a false economy.
I agree...My text I send customers is this...

Hi
Your windows will be cleaned tomorrow, if no one will be at home could you please ensure the gate is left unlocked.

Regards Shaun

I hardly ever get any not today's or messing about  ;)

p1w1

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 08:59:46 pm »
i agree with 8 weekly and would have never let her keep changing dates. For customers that lock there gates or need informing i send a text saying the following (started in the new year as i used to get people forgetting etc in the past) Dear customer we will be round tomorrow to clean your windows, please ensure access  is available to the back of your property. Should access not be left we will clean all accessible windows and charge 75% of the full clean price.

CleanClear

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 09:02:24 pm »
Hi Marc have transferred money for window clean. Please can we change the clean to every 3 months, so next due in Dec-Jan. many thanks ***

Thats the point you should of said ..No, sorry.  Just contact me nearer the date you want and i'll see where we're up to....
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

CleanClear

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 09:06:04 pm »
Hi its Mike , Clean and Clear Window Cleaning to let you know i'll be round tomorrow.

;D ;D

I allow one dog dieing, one we're not in we're away. And then they're in the bin !!!  ;D
Incidentally, i very seldom get a reply.  A few reply "OK " , but not many.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Walter Mitty

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 09:09:59 pm »
My take on it is like the others: If you ask, you are inviting the answer 'no!'
My texts say, "Dear Customer.  This is Walter the window cleaner.  Tomorrow I will be calling to clean your windows.  Please ensure that any gates are unlocked to allow me access.  Thank you."
I actually have very few who need to be texted anyway because I found it's not a good idea.  I have quite a collection of gate keys and a few records of combi lock numbers.  I'm reluctant to take any more on with access issues unless they supply a gate or padlock key as it can be quite a PITA scheduling it.  Apart from that, if someone is away, that's money I lose.  In peak holiday times (late July to late August), I could lose a lot of money.  Of course there are also those who pretend to forget unlocking the gate as a way of controling the frequency.

Marc Stock

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 09:16:37 pm »
Thanks Chaps

I do have a next clean date system on my bills which works 100% of the time. This is an icolated case, and I just wanted some feedback on how accommodating I was.

As far as locked gates policy as they have the next clean date on their bills if the gate is locked hey agree to still pay 100% and they do.

Interesting that it was mentioned that it looks a little desperate, I agree and I think its because I have lost a bit of confidence.

Walter Mitty

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 09:21:38 pm »
Thanks Chaps

I do have a next clean date system on my bills which works 100% of the time. This is an icolated case, and I just wanted some feedback on how accommodating I was.

As far as locked gates policy as they have the next clean date on their bills if the gate is locked hey agree to still pay 100% and they do.

Interesting that it was mentioned that it looks a little desperate, I agree and I think its because I have lost a bit of confidence.

Yes, I remember now.  You give them a next clean date.  For me, that would remove one of the better parts of the job - the choice of how hard (or not) I want to work on a particular day.  Plus it coud get tricky in winter when there's a freeze that stops me starting early.

sunshine windows

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 09:33:18 pm »
After realising she's not after a regular clean, rather than drop it all together, offer an adhoc service at a premium rate to suit you. If she goes for it you earn top money for an easy clean
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 09:35:00 pm »
the few customers i do text i tell my customers im cleaning their windows tomorrow NOT ASK.

price higher/work harder!

Marc Stock

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 09:49:07 pm »
After realising she's not after a regular clean, rather than drop it all together, offer an adhoc service at a premium rate to suit you. If she goes for it you earn top money for an easy clean

that's a good idea.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 09:57:04 pm »
Oh sorry Marc was away when your last message came. Please can we not have a clean tomorrow but include us in the next round! Many thanks ***

At that point. DUMPED.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 09:59:30 pm »
You certainly handled it professionally and politely.

Now then ...  ;D

Don't text'um before. Ever. If they have bolted gates and want the backs done then with me it's :-

Don't mind me leaning over and shooting the bolts with my cuphook on a stick.

If locked then it's:-

1. Give me a key or the code to the lock.
2. Don't mind me using my six foot gate ladder to get over if I choose to.
3. Fronts only - backs by request. (if they do this then they must ask me before I turn up and leave the gate unlocked or they can ask me if they happen to be in and I have time.)

I quite like 3 sometimes. I have about fifteen in a row of about 25 linked semi's and I can smack them out very quickly with one small van move. They like it because they pay £7 or £8 every 4 weeks and that goes up to about £15 or £20 when they have the backs done every 3 months or so. 

Keep it uncomplicated.
It's a game of three halves!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 10:02:38 pm »
Oh ... and

"Hi Marc, that parcel you signed for wasn't there. It had £5000.00 worth of jewellery in it and I expect you to return it immediately or I shall phone the police. Oh and can we leave our windows 'til Julember 32nd?"

Bungle

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 10:05:42 pm »
I agree with lots of the above posts. Never ask if it's ok to clean, you have already agreed a timescale, so you should state that they are going to be cleaned. If any of mine who are on an 8 weekly ask to skip with a pathetic reason they get dumped no matter what.
We look at them, they look through them.

Dave Willis

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 10:11:53 pm »
Do you shoot your bolt often these days Malc   ???

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2016, 10:15:19 pm »
What were you thinking- signing for a parcel for a customer?! that's a big no no in my book

Marc Stock

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2016, 10:36:03 pm »
What were you thinking- signing for a parcel for a customer?! that's a big no no in my book

Guess I was being nice...I don't know really

Stoots

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2016, 10:46:58 pm »
imo far too much conversation and fannying from the start on your part.

Should have been "hi, will be round to clean your windows tomorrow please can you leave gate unlocked, thanks"

her - can i have quarterly in future?

yes thats fine, thanks see you in 3 months

you - "hi, will be round to clean your windows tomorrow, please leave gate unlocked, thanks"

her - no reply

you - go clean them anyway, if can get to back bill her for front and tell her why

her - can i have  6 monthly?

you - no sorry, will remove you from round thank

bye

nathankaye

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2016, 10:54:22 pm »
Sorry, I have to be blunt!
Your a full grown feller arent you. Why you on here looking for aproval!!??
The same desperate way in which it comes accross to the customers. And signing for any customers parcels is a massive NO NO in case your wondering. How wud u like ur bin cleaner to sign for your gardiner delivery of a new pole!! You numpty!! At end of day, you run a business. Its nice to have a professional relationship with the customers but never be fooled into thinking more than what we are. A service! Which they can drop whenever theg choose to! So treat it as such. Clean 2wks or 4wks if wish have some 8wks. But Man, take charge of your business and be confident of the excellent service you do. If she dont want it, some one else will!
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

AuRavelling79

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2016, 11:02:05 pm »
The same desperate way in which it comes accross to the customers. And signing for any customers parcels is a massive NO NO in case your wondering. How wud u like ur bin cleaner to sign for your gardiner delivery of a new pole!! You numpty!! At end of day, you run a business. Its nice to have a professional relationship with the customers but never be fooled into thinking more than what we are. A service! Which they can drop whenever theg choose to! So treat it as such. Clean 2wks or 4wks if wish have some 8wks. But Man, take charge of your business and be confident of the excellent service you do. If she dont want it, some one else will!

Get off the fence and tell us how you really feel.

supernova77

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2016, 12:22:56 am »
I hate customers like that!

Do you text all customers before their clean?

Andy

Marc Stock

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2016, 12:37:52 am »

Flip me if that isn't a kick up the bum, I don't know what is.

Walter Mitty

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2016, 02:02:55 am »
I've lost two long-standing customers in recent months because they both started messing about in a way that looked like it would have been repeated.  I understood their needs, but those needs were not compatible with me running a viable business.
Customer 1 sent me away because he and his girlfriend were sunbathing in the back garden.  The conversation left me in a situation where I could be sent away from future cleans if I were to turn up if it's sunny.  Also, he wanted me to return the following week, by which time I would be working in another area a few miles away.
Customer 2 adopted a couple of dogs from the dog refuge.  I was sent away because she was concerned that I would upset the dogs because they had previously been mistreated.
Both jobs were ones where I set up just for them, though they were both within a quarter mile of other work.  Both jobs had been good customers who paid promptly by BACS.  Both customers wrote to me to drop me - quite a relief because I kept tossing it to and fro in my mind.  Customer 2 actually ended up paying me for the clean I didn't do (I didn't ask for it), so that gives an idea of how things were.
The trouble is, whenever I am sent away from a job with no notice, potentially that is money lost on that day because there may not be other work in the area that I can tack on to the day.  Sometimes it is possible, but I've still wasted a few minutes turning up and being sent away.
With both jobs, it wasn't so much about being sent away.  It was because the reasons given had the potential to become repeat reasons.  Customer 2 wrote saying that she had taken on another window cleaner.  I only hope he uses WFP as the decking at the back was lethal.
It may be that some window cleaners are happy to turn up and not be able to work.  I'm not.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2016, 07:36:25 am »
Don't lose sleep over them.

IMO the most important statement on here.  Customers come and customers go.  If you have a good reason (as you do) for dropping them, drop them and forget them.  I don't know how long you've been in business but when I started I was worried with everyone who cancelled us and worried if I had to drop someone.  Nowadays, I have to push the franchisees to adopt that attitude.  Hold onto the good ones, they are solid gold but the bad ones will either drop you or you them; they aren't worth a moment's worry.

Customers: They are as leaves in the wind.

Vin

ascjim

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2016, 08:06:53 am »
Never ask if you can clean the windows! Tell them!

Our text from CP:

Dear Customer, we will be arriving tomorrow to clean your windows or gutters. Regards, The PureWash Team. 07521573165 | 01392 409119 |  www.purewash-sw.co.uk | THIS IS AN AUTOMATED MESSAGE. PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND.

Steven Biggs

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2016, 07:51:51 pm »
Had one similar to yours gold . Picked em up just as they were moving in the new house . All smiles yes clean em every 4 weeks lovely . Turns up 4 weeks later , new gate on the back locked up . So I cleaned the front and wrote on the slip the price . Got a text . Access to the rear windows will only be available Tuesday and Thursday between 2pm and 5 pm . Please do not call any other times . .  ;D ;D ;Dyeh  right .

Blackadder

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2016, 10:32:58 pm »
I have one of those custy's at the moment, big house once a month, then it was 8 weekly,  then quarterly, when the quarterly came up in November, he was like 'what with the weather, can we leave it for a couple of months '

GOODBYE.

dazmond

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2016, 08:01:00 am »
had one yesterday "can you leave them til april now(monthly clean £20) and dont clean them at all in winter in future as its not worth it,just every now and then when i think they need doing".this is on a row of 12 houses(most of them monthly cleans) ::)roll

he was in a rush so didnt get chance to reply(its was also pouring down with rain).

so im gonna tell him i can offer him a 2 monthly frequency(at a higher price) all year round or a monthly clean in spring/summer and 2 monthly in winter.im not just stopping in winter!take it or leave.

he s been messing about changing frequencies for a while now.thing is its an easy £20 for 25 mins work right near a compact run of other well priced jobs.

if he wont accept one of the above i wont hesitate to dump him though.
price higher/work harder!

Walter Mitty

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2016, 08:18:29 am »

I got a note with payment saying - (no please) "No cleaning before 11 am and only call Tuesday to Friday." I just never went back. In fact being the tetchy git I am I called in the road at 9 am and "deliberately" missed them out. Out comes Mr. "I've got my tackle in budgie smugglers so don't call" and asks me to clean.

Sorry mate it's 10.30. Not supposed to do yours before 11 am  and I'll be gone by then. Maybe next time. (Or never.)

I bet you really enjoyed the bit that I've reddened. :)

Johnny B

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2016, 09:34:59 am »

I got a note with payment saying - (no please) "No cleaning before 11 am and only call Tuesday to Friday." I just never went back. In fact being the tetchy git I am I called in the road at 9 am and "deliberately" missed them out. Out comes Mr. "I've got my tackle in budgie smugglers so don't call" and asks me to clean.

Sorry mate it's 10.30. Not supposed to do yours before 11 am  and I'll be gone by then. Maybe next time. (Or never.)

I bet you really enjoyed the bit that I've reddened. :)

I did. It's a personality flaw of mine which I work on when I feel more secure about myself; which isn't often enough!  ;D

Did you remember to flounce Malc?

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

lee_dewing

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2016, 10:41:07 pm »
Hi  Marc I've signed for customers parcels :)

I only have one customer I do every 3 month's, that's for a good days money.

Was offering bi-monthly but even stopped doing that now unless its £50 upwards.

I suffer with confidence and you can get a verbal kicking on here ;D

Since having Nat do my website it's been a real boost it's made me realise my worth and not afraid to increase my prices, dump custies.

Never took to much poop from custies.

I think the more frequencies you offer the more difficult life becomes.

I only offer monthly 90% of the time the odd bi monthly and quartely are odd ones in roads where I don't have any other work.

I can't see the point in saving customers money when I'm getting regular enquiries, I do even filter these down before I quote with a couple of questions.

I know its your business Marc but I think giving pre fixed dates for next clean is stressful but I won't work in rain unless really necessary.

Lee.

I text quite a few but now repeat offenders for locked gates are asked for a key or there sacked.

Got 3 I will probably lose,  cleaned for 7 years due to a burglary in the road they've all padlocked up.

I have climbed over in the past rather than lose money but they are not the easiest to get over!
Not risking my legs, ankles anymore.

Left said customers notes about keys, think I will add the option of 75% charge as one if the guys said for padlocked  gates.
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle