magic moments

when you started
« on: January 27, 2012, 10:19:14 pm »
has any one ever just simply had enough and just quit there job and started on the glass?
im in a secure job but am not happy and it effects my family ,im tempted to take my last pay check on tues and just quit ,and go all out canvassing and cleaning and hopefully can scrape through the first month i know its far from ideal but im thinking i need to enjoy work and home life and feel the risk is worth taking?

stuart mc

Re: when you started
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 10:31:19 pm »
not unless you have a few K put away while you build up a business I wouldn't, if you have then yes I would, and I did, but I knew I had money to cover me for at least three months

scud

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 10:33:52 pm »
  yep, I did 7+ years ago, took a while to get enough work but managed in the end.

There is nothing like having to find work to motivate you.

Jackal

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 10:41:28 pm »
ideally you better off trying find time when you can to canvass and leaflet,but aving a job full time is hard cuz you cant actually find time to clean windows,depends how much money you need for your bills,you could always buy a small round like i did enough to cover you outgoing then build on it

Johnny B

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 10:54:31 pm »
Realistically it will take 2 years or more to establish yourself in this game. Have an honest look at what savings you have, and how long it will last if no money was coming in. Then think about how motivated you are to spend hour after hour, day after day knocking doors and/or dropping leaflets.

When you knock doors, you may get one customer for every 20-50 houses depending on the demand in a given area.

In other words, please be prepared to put a lot of time and effort in. The more you put in, the more you will get out of it, but it is hard going.

In your situation, have you thought about canvassing and building a round up part time, then quitting your other job once you have built your round up enough to be able justify it?

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you all the best.
John

Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

paul kitchiner

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 10:59:50 pm »
Yep I did. Finished work on a friday. Made a cock and ball story up about being depressed. Got sighnd off work for 4 weeks. Canvassed and doorknocked and by the end of four weeks had enough work to start so rung up work and said not coming back and haven't looked back since. Took some guts and must admit at the time thought it was stupid but it worked.

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 11:04:41 pm »
I have told my story a few time but here is the short version

Got laid off (was S/E)

Couldnt get a job

£1000 short for rent / bills

Borrowed £2k off mum and mother in law

knocked for 2 weeks solid

got customers then cleaned

knocked / leafleted every second i could

earnt enough to pay the bills & rent from month 1 (just)

12 months on had a round worth £2,200 every 4 weeks

then sold up, moved and started again

Its possible but REALLY hard work and draining
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

magic moments

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 09:24:50 am »
thanks for your help ,i will probably go back to work as i dont have savings ,and would need to earn a min of 1000 in the first month to cover mortgage/bills ,im sure i could do it but know it would be stressfull and worrying,some inspiring stories and thanks for all your replys.

Halfadaylee

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 09:30:26 am »
Why dony you go and knock some doors and try to get a feel for how hard/easy it would be.
Dont hide behind no cards or gear class it as market research.
If you really want to do it, nothing will stop you.
Good luck
Art

Cliff perkins

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 09:32:54 am »
Why not try and save some cash and then go for it
Www.1stglasswindowcleaning.co.uk

magic moments

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 09:52:04 am »
in reality i would be kidding myself couldnt afford to save cash ,would take ages and i feel i would miss the boat i wanted to be out in the winter to start at the hardest,i have door knocked and got 5 customers last week in the  the space of 3 hours ,well my misses did the knocking she will help me on that front ,im supposed to clean them in a weeks time ,so just trying to buy a back pack wfp,to get me started.i want this so much and at 28 feel its the right time to stop dreaming and talking about it and for the first time in my life take a huge risk and go for it.

Jackal

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 09:58:30 am »
how you going to clean these new houses you picked trad or wfp,have you already got your pure water filters system sorted or you got buy all the kit by next week

magic moments

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 10:23:49 am »
yea i have got the water sorted an ro/ibc in the garage have got the water coming out at 0 ,so thats ready just have to get a cheap backpack and pole ,im doing tops wfp and bottoms trad untill i can afford a van setup.

GDwindowcleaning

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 11:22:06 am »
What job do you do now?

magic moments

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 11:36:05 am »
il just say public sector,secure, average wage,good holiday ,but stressfull ,poorly treated i hate going to work everday etc,why is that?

GDwindowcleaning

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 11:53:03 am »
Just curious to why its so bad, i cant tell you whats right for you but do you have any experience on the glass?

VSP Home Care

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 12:00:47 pm »
Good on you mate, I spent way too long in the NHS and suffered greatly from it.  Get out there and have a go, if you've got 5 customers already then your on your way my friend.  Leaving that office behind will probably save your mind I assure you.

You can build a good trolley for about £300-350 that you could also use as a car mounted system if possible.  Back packs can be hard going from what I've seen so a trolley is a good thing to have.

Drop me an email info@vsphomecare.co.uk and I'll send you the list of parts you need.

Good luck to you  ;)

magic moments

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 12:11:09 pm »
hi GD i suppose for some its not bad ,but i have just had enough of working hard for others for no extra reward and would like to work for myself so the more i put in i could get out and try and build a better work/home life.many would say its silly including my own family but its nagging away inside ,i do wish i had a few pound behind me it would take a lot of the pressure off but i dont so ,its either continue what im doing or take the plunge ,i worked with my dad doing commercials he had a big contract and i loved the spashing the windows and going home stress free etc, he no longer works and only recently have i realised that window cleaning is/could be a fantastic job that is frowned and constantly be littled as a pocket money exercise when infact could be a legitimate and provide an average income to live .

VSP Home Care

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 12:19:39 pm »
Let them frown on you from their offices and so called good jobs, they will never understand until they find themselves in the same position.  Your health and sanity is worth way more than their so called "good secure job".

If you have no savings then quitting is a bit of a concern, I'd try and build up your customers in the evenings and on the weekend for a month or two, see how you get on, or take any holiday you have owing before April and get out there canvassing for a week solid.

mickwc

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 04:13:34 pm »
mate just go for it!!!
if you're willing to put in the hard work building a round, you'l be laughing!! i've started up twice now, first time i'd just come out the army and was looking for work and sort of fell in to window cleaning, my mum asked me to clean hers! before i knew it i had round that was paying a nice little wage, started with just the basics and soon had a van and system on the road! I had to sell up as my wife wanted to move so she could be nearer to her parents, that was almost 4yrs ago, we've now moved and i'm just starting up again. i have been driving hgv's since i sold up and just couldn't wait to get back to window cleaninig.

my advice would be, get your kit sorted first, so u can clean. then get some flyers made up. pick a date to finish work, then everynight after work get the flyers out. anyone calls u can clean at the weekend, then doorknock the rest of that street, its just about getting as many flyers out and knocking on as many doors as you can, when the time comes to finish work keep knocking every spare minute.

it does take guts to pack a job in to go self employed but a year or two down the line you'll wish you had done it years ago.

go for it!!! good luck!!!!