Poll

Do you think using ladders in this day and age is safe?

Yes
53.8%
21 (53.8%)
No
30.8%
12 (30.8%)
Sometimes - could you explain why?
15.4%
6 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 33

David Healey

Ladder -vs- Pole System for Domestic Window Cleaning
« on: May 08, 2013, 03:38:30 pm »
Hi,

I'm just looking for some feedback on members' opinions/experience about the use of ladders -vs- a telescopic pole/water fed system to clean domestic properties when it comes to:

1. Employee safety
2. The Work at Height Regulations and "reasonable practicability"
3. Alternatives to using ladders

All comments greatly received...

Thanks

David

PoleKing

Re: Ladder -vs- Pole System for Domestic Window Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 11:51:58 pm »
Of course it is.
A ladder is a tool like any other.
Used incorrectly-potential accident
Used correctly-few problems.

I'm WFP btw
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

mark turton

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 07:14:58 pm »
im wfp have done trad and will be returning to some trad for certain types of property.

used correctly ladder ok but then wfp has its problems with over stretching and awkward angles which can lead to muscle problems imo

jonathan lorentsen

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 08:08:14 pm »
My ladders are safely locked away. I use the pole system for 99% of the time. But sometimes it is necessary to a ladder and when you take your time to set it up and use safety equipment like a ladder stay I think this is acceptable. Most of my customers prefer me to use the wfp as the think it cleans better ( Great propaganda ) ;D

Griffus

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 12:08:41 am »
Ladders are an essential piece of kit and as long as used correctly there should be no issues.

That said, WC is a million times easier via WFP, especially larger apartmant blocks and the like.

Simon Mess

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 04:08:01 pm »
I have been cleaning windows for 4.5 years, never done trad, only ever wfp. I did intend learning myself to do trad, but it has just never seemed necessary, so I haven't bothered. From a safety point of view, I would say wfp all the way, no contest, but maybe im biased. Yes, as someone mentioned, you could, in theory, do yourself an injury with a large heavy pole, esp trying to get at a hard to reach window above a conservatory or extension where you may only be able to reach it with the pole at full stretch and a shallow angle. But I have a few like that, and although it can be very hard on the arms, I have never 'injured' myself. Once you have been using wfp for a while, if you prefer it, you can invest in a lightweight pole, which will reduce the strain. Access issues to awkward windows, like velux's can be got around with a gooseneck. I have looked at them a few times, but I have managed fine so far without one, so, again, I haven't bothered!.