Tosh

Split charge relay
« on: May 18, 2017, 08:31:54 pm »
I had a split charge relay fitted by GrippaTank 4 years ago to by system that I bought from  them. I suspect its buggered because about a month go the battery wasn’t producing the ooomph it usually did regarding the water-flow. I figured that the battery was shot so replaced it but now this one is playing up, not enough water flow.

I just bought a volt-meter after a 60 mile trip back from London and tested the battery, it has 11.5v in it. So figuring it should have more than that after a slow crawl round the M25 and M3.

If its the split charge whats the situation with these? Are they easy to replace and which one is appropriate, I mean does it depend on what you’re running and battery size. I know, they're stupid questions, but haven’t the foggiest about split charge relays.

All help appreciated.

Thanks Matt.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

Tony dunmall

Re: Split charge relay
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 08:39:46 pm »
Hi Matt

If your happy with how it's been just get new split relay from them, it's easy to change over that way I think it's just a push in fitting can't remember from memory 

But at least they'll give fitting instructions

Also I would check all fuses and connections in case anything is loose just in case

8weekly

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 09:12:31 pm »
I had a split charge relay fitted by GrippaTank 4 years ago to by system that I bought from  them. I suspect its buggered because about a month go the battery wasn’t producing the ooomph it usually did regarding the water-flow. I figured that the battery was shot so replaced it but now this one is playing up, not enough water flow.

I just bought a volt-meter after a 60 mile trip back from London and tested the battery, it has 11.5v in it. So figuring it should have more than that after a slow crawl round the M25 and M3.

If its the split charge whats the situation with these? Are they easy to replace and which one is appropriate, I mean does it depend on what you’re running and battery size. I know, they're stupid questions, but haven’t the foggiest about split charge relays.

All help appreciated.

Thanks Matt.
Have you checked your pre pump filters? Low battery doesn't in my experience reduce flow. I'd be checking for an obstruction. A knackered Rectus fitting can cause reduced flow.

Agree re batter charge after that trip though. Should be full.

Tosh

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 09:45:45 pm »

All help appreciated.

Thanks Matt.
Have you checked your pre pump filters? Low battery doesn't in my experience reduce flow. I'd be checking for an obstruction. A knackered Rectus fitting can cause reduced flow.

Both pumps are playing up, so its not a blockage. Theres no pressure, its definitely electrical. Now Ive charged it up its working as it should, just Im charging it with an external charger, which is okay, but on some jobs you need to have the facility of a split charger.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

Tosh

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 09:46:20 pm »
Hi Matt

If your happy with how it's been just get new split relay from them, it's easy to change over that way I think it's just a push in fitting can't remember from memory 

But at least they'll give fitting instructions

Also I would check all fuses and connections in case anything is loose just in case

Im a dipstick, I need to talk to Grippa, they can supply me what I need. Thanks Tony ;)

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 10:01:46 pm »
11.5v is flat.

With the engine running a multimeter across the leisure battery should tell you if the battery is charging or not. If its charging then the voltage reading would be around 13.9v or above.

As has been stated, first check are fuses. There should be 2, one at the starter battery and the other at the leisure battery. The relay should also have an earth so it would be an idea to check that as well.

Grippa have sold these since day one so it should be just an easy swap over if its the relay that has gone.
https://www.grippatank.co.uk/12v-24v-intelligent-split-charge-relay-100amp-3081

I'm using one of these variants atm
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7mtr-Split-Charge-Kit-12V-140a-Durite-Intelligent-VSR-110a-Ready-Made-Leads/251527846525?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D44293%26meid%3Dfdd5b0cc145041fe836dde5ddf730831%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D201605898058

full fitting instructions were included.

We've also used these and found them very reliable
http://www.brocott.co.uk/smartcom-voltage-sensing-self-switching-split-charge-relay-12v-30amp/

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Tosh

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 10:16:33 pm »
Thankyou Spruce. I never thought of the fuse either lol.

Im going tensile in my old age here.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 10:18:38 pm »

All help appreciated.

Thanks Matt.

Low battery has always reduced flow in my experience.

Spruce

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 09:15:32 am »
Thankyou Spruce. I never thought of the fuse either lol.

Im going tensile in my old age here.

;D
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

8weekly

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 09:19:11 am »

All help appreciated.

Thanks Matt.

Low battery has always reduced flow in my experience.
That's interesting because the first sign I get is flow stopping and BATT flasing on the controller.

Tosh

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 04:54:16 pm »
I spoke to Oliver at Grippatank today, he's a nice guy. We deduced it was the 80A strip fuse. Probably blew when I changed the battery a few weeks back.

Anyway I've got some new strip fuses.

8weekly

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 05:39:52 pm »
I spoke to Oliver at Grippatank today, he's a nice guy. We deduced it was the 80A strip fuse. Probably blew when I changed the battery a few weeks back.

Anyway I've got some new strip fuses.
Did you get the polarity wrong?

Tosh

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 06:22:25 pm »
Ummm, nope.  ;D

I ain't saying. But we had a laugh on the phone about it.