Tosh

Self-cleaning glass and virosol.
« on: May 16, 2016, 06:34:27 pm »
Who's tried it?

*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

Cookie

Re: Self-cleaning glass and virosol.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 06:38:01 pm »
Not to my knowledge...  Is there a way to tell whether glass is self-cleaning?

G Griffin

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 07:02:24 pm »
I've not and I wouldn't, Matt.
I don't know about the frames but the glass doesn't tend to need anything. I don't think the manufacturers' recommend it either.
It is easier to clean and the only thing I risked was a bit of Ecover washing up liquid.
We used to have a conservatory with a self cleaning glass roof. It does work.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

matty72

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 07:07:53 pm »
I have tried it, what i do is use a small amout of virosol, keep the whole roof constantly wet,  i dont let it dry up, dont think i have done on a hot day though.

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 07:19:00 pm »
I have , wet the whole roof , then spray virosol on and scrub off straight away , panel by panel

G Griffin

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 07:20:16 pm »
I reckon doing a self cleaning glass roof on a rainy day would be a Glenn Hoddle.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

tonycarr

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 08:35:36 pm »
i use Virosol a lot.....but never on self cleaning glass, it`s to harsh and could remove the coating that enables it to be self cleaning, just use pure water ...there is a list of recommended cleaners on there website for any stubborn stains difficult to remove with just water

tony
T & J Window Cleaning services

tonycarr

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 08:38:39 pm »
Not to my knowledge... Is there a way to tell whether glass is self-cleaning?

if it`s self cleaning glass there will be a  PILKINGTON stamp in the corner of each glass panel

tony
T & J Window Cleaning services

Smudger

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 09:15:10 pm »
As Tony - I would not use any cleaner on self cleaning glass - virosol is not approved

I have posted the official list on other threads if you do a search

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Tosh

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 09:57:11 pm »

This is after cleaning, with Virosol. The offending 'deposits' do not  then come off by either using soapy detergent or repeating the application in the hope of cleaning them off. The whole of the roof was like this.

There is a way though whereby the final treated glass does achieve a great finish. I should have taken a picture of the after treatment, they were gleaming.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

the king

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 10:21:11 pm »
no soap at all should be used on this glass just water also a hogs hair or flocked brush is best( standard mono is not advised ) as it can damage the coating virosol  or ubik ect is way to harsh even ecover is to harsh

paulben

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 06:36:37 am »
Don't Pilkinton put there name on all there glass seen the mark on one of my customers never told it was self cleaning surely it would be up to customer to tell us if they got self cleaning were not glass experts just window cleaners
Do not steal the government hates competition

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 07:58:48 am »
self cleaning glass is usually tinted.i never use chemicals on them.just hot pure water.better safe than sorry.
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 08:00:00 am »

This is after cleaning, with Virosol. The offending 'deposits' do not  then come off by either using soapy detergent or repeating the application in the hope of cleaning them off. The whole of the roof was like this.

There is a way though whereby the final treated glass does achieve a great finish. I should have taken a picture of the after treatment, they were gleaming.

so what did you use to get the marks off?

Dave Willis

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 08:08:30 am »
I have a roof like this with self cleaning glass. It's caused by a boiler pipe going up through the roof. The only thing that shifts it is Viakal and a non scratch scourer pad or soaked applicator.
I warned them first but they said go ahead anyway.

Tosh

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 08:18:25 am »
I thought it was wrecked but you know what, Viakal (and I guess any other descaler) restored it. This was on the advise of Pilkington. I also tried Rinse Aid on one panel and that worked too. They were restored remarkably, I've never seen anything quite like it.

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 08:25:35 am »
I thought it was wrecked but you know what, Viakal (and I guess any other descaler) restored it. This was on the advise of Pilkington. I also tried Rinse Aid on one panel and that worked too. They were restored remarkably, I've never seen anything quite like it.

cheers matt.good to know! :)

8weekly

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 07:09:50 pm »
Should've  said sorry, it's fooked and taken the money for what you'd done.  ;D

G Griffin

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 07:16:46 pm »
So what did you use? Virosol or Viakal?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

8weekly