Tosh

Working on roofs, flat ones.
« on: April 14, 2016, 12:34:28 am »
What course is it that you need for this and relevant qualification ?

TIA Matt.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CleanClear

Re: Working on roofs, flat ones.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 01:00:44 am »
What course is it that you need for this and relevant qualification ?

TIA Matt.

Just the ability to do a Health and Saftey risk assesment. There is no course per se for working on flat roofs. The assesment will decide if saftey guides need to be fitted so you can attatch a fall  arrest harness to, and a safe means of access and egress to the flat roof will also be required to be noted. Other than that, you're good to go. Assuming the assesment also identified the roof as sound to walk on as regards to weight bearing.  ;D  Of course the work duration and frequency might dictate and complete saftey rail is fitted around the perimiter of the flat roof too, as opposed to using a fall arrest harness.

Or do as i do, get a big fat mate (imagine Eddie Yates) to run up a ladder, stand on the roof and shout.."yeah, its sound lah, you can all get up " !!!!    ;D
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Smurf

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 08:25:31 am »
If you get up there and you fall through you will know for sure that flat roof it's not sound.  ;D

Seriously though best practice is to avoid walking on flat roofs altogether if you ask me then you have eliminated the risks altogether. If you can't reach domestic windows to clean from the ground using wfp method then just leave them out is what I would do. Seems all too much hassle for the reward when there are plenty of easier jobs to pick up.

Obviously on commercial/industrial buildings that is when you would be looking at alternative access equipment and fall arrests.

Tosh

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 08:47:32 am »
I mean commercial buildings with the facilities for lanyard use and fall restraint.

Please.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

Don Kee

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 10:24:39 am »
Fall restraints need to be tested regularily (harnesses/lanyards etc...)

RAMS needs to be filled out and signed off by the commercial HSE department

If you're going to go really anal, get them to sign a competency sheet to say they have shown you where to attach yourself and they agree they've given you permission to access the roof (basically the same principal as an IPAF 'license, its more a proof of competency than an actual license)

No actual qualifications though per se, its mostly yours and their HSE covering your ass's

Tosh

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 04:31:34 pm »
Just spoken to Mark at Gleaming Insurance. Seems there's no accreditation for working on rooves but he did suggest its best attend a training course to for obvious reasons. Not least to be able to prove you've done everything within your power should someone try to make a claim against you as a result of you being on the roof.

Gerald Ash

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 04:55:48 pm »
 do as i do, get a big fat mate (imagine Eddie Yates) to run up a ladder, stand on the roof and shout.."yeah, its sound lah, you can all get up " !!!!    ;D
I'll do that for ya, it'll cost mind