Tosh

The new day wage
« on: March 18, 2016, 09:02:40 am »
Following on from a current thread thats running is £300 the new £200?
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

jonboywalton75

Re: The new day wage
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 09:04:37 am »
Wouldn't  know I only earn beer money  :o

SeanK

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 09:26:23 am »
Since when has £200 been the day wage on here, what you mean is £700 the new £500.

Smurf

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 12:00:48 pm »
A day’s wage I think is irrelevant when you run your own cleaning business.
One day you could be doing just one job for loads of dosh what some might consider that are employed would be a week or even a months take home pay. Likewise other days you could be earning bugger all  ;D

It seems so many are hung up on a hourly rate when infact they should be looking at the true value of each service/ job they take on. Not what they want as an hourly rate, how long they think it's going to take and work out a price from that alone.

For instance say a 3 storey gutter clearing job in real terms was worth 600 that took in the end 5 hours to do properly and i worked it out on hourly rate alone of say 30 squid an hour = 150.  I would have actualy blown away 450 squid on that one job.
Makes you think don't it   ::)roll

NWH

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 04:51:54 pm »
One day you could be doing just one job for loads of dosh what some might consider that are employed would be a week or even a months take home pay. Likewise other days you could be earning bugger all  ;D

It seems so many are hung up on a hourly rate when infact they should be looking at the true value of each service/ job they take on. Not what they want as an hourly rate, how long they think it's going to take and work out a price from that alone.

For instance say a 3 storey gutter clearing job in real terms was worth 600 that took in the end 5 hours to do properly and i worked it out on hourly rate alone of say 30 squid an hour = 150.  I would have actualy blown away 450 squid on that one job.

What you've said is so true and it relates completely to the other thread how much for this,who cares about hourly rates I price what I want for a particular job not if its going to take an hour I want X,if you price on an hourly rate you'll never have really good days and then really really good days. I know a WC and everything he prices is on his hourly rate so whatever job-house he does he's earning the same when he goes home lol,I'm sorry but that is a clueless way to price work.

Smurf

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 09:11:01 pm »

What you've said is so true and it relates completely to the other thread how much for this,who cares about hourly rates I price what I want for a particular job not if its going to take an hour I want X,if you price on an hourly rate you'll never have really good days and then really really good days. I know a WC and everything he prices is on his hourly rate so whatever job-house he does he's earning the same when he goes home lol,I'm sorry but that is a clueless way to price work.

My point exactly and thank goodness as I thought I was the only one on here that figured that one out a long time ago

windowswashed

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 12:08:58 am »
I price each job individually, sod an hourly rate, where's the incentive, might as well be PAYE on an hourly rate with holiday pay, sick pay and a pension.

SeanK

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 10:03:53 am »
I price each job individually, sod an hourly rate, where's the incentive, might as well be PAYE on an hourly rate with holiday pay, sick pay and a pension.

Your hourly rate should be set as to include all the above plus expenses, there's nothing professional about sucking in air
shaking the head and then plucking a number out of the air depending on how soft or gullible you think the customer might be.
It might be OK for quick money but long term its no way to run a respectable business.

martin hulstone

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 10:19:45 am »
Agreed Sean, i do a 30 hour week ( on the glass ) and know exactly how much i will earn each week, i dont have troughs and peaks,
just stability.
Wether they are millionares or a working family, they pay exactly the same for a like for like house to mantain my hourly rate.

martin hulstone

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 10:23:34 am »
As for the new day wage, depends how big your mortgage is and how many mouths you have to feed i suppose.