♠Winp®oClean♠

Re: why is my battery only lasting 5 hrs?
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 08:07:58 pm »
matt the charger is a halfords one 5 months old.its not a cheap one either!specifically for all types of batteries including leisure batteries.

the crocodile clip on one of the negative connection from the controller is a bit corroded.these clips look rubbish!cheap and nasty!!there is also a bit of corrosion on one of the battery terminals.ill clean em and grease them and see how i go on.

cheers.

winpro do leisure batteries give up the ghost after just 5 months  sometimes?very disappointed if they do!! >:( >:(

I run off the van Battery Daz, have done for 9 years. I only use top of the range Bosch batteries now, 63Ah, last me about 2 years & are £65 online. ;) No charging, no hassle, no nowt! :)

Dave Willis

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 08:34:02 pm »
My van batteries are six years old now - I thought I'd have loads of trouble. Been fine for fourteen months now. (touch wood).  :D

home6442

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 08:36:05 pm »
There is no such thing as a leisure battery check out
the motorhome channel.
They have a very good video on batteries.
www.motorhomechannel.co.uk

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 09:00:15 pm »
My van batteries are six years old now - I thought I'd have loads of trouble. Been fine for fourteen months now. (touch wood).  :D

Bit dangerous for you a statement like that Dave!!!!!! ;D ;D

Dave Willis

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 09:02:57 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D :o

nathanharrison

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 09:43:07 pm »
Why not use a split charge relay in the van, Ive got one and never have to take battery out to charge!

WGB

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 10:39:50 pm »
would a standard car battery do?thought you were only supposed to use leisure batteries?? ??? ??? ???
daz i use a car battery, first one lasted a couple of years, bought my current one no more than a couple of months ago and its doing the same as ur battery, charges up quick and runs out quick meaning its f**ked. Read last week some power there pump from van battery, would this work?

DaveG

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2013, 06:57:17 am »
You guys that run off of your van battery, do you mean you have a split charger, or do you connect pump directly to it?

Cheers

ps I think these new controllers over complicate things. My stepbrother has one and when it flashes "bat 10.5 " or whatever, he disconnects the controller and it pumps fine..
You can't polish a turd

Dave Willis

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2013, 07:17:42 am »
I run directly off mine but the Toyota uses two batteries to start it.

Frankybadboy

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2013, 07:55:20 am »

Bit dangerous for you a statement like that Dave!!!!!! ;D ;D
can wait for something to happen now,surely dave dont push it

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 08:07:01 am »
You guys that run off of your van battery, do you mean you have a split charger, or do you connect pump directly to it?

Cheers

ps I think these new controllers over complicate things. My stepbrother has one and when it flashes "bat 10.5 " or whatever, he disconnects the controller and it pumps fine..

No split charger, direct from battery. I use a MKI digital varistream to SAVE battery power. Apparently though, The MKII can be a bit of a nightmare. Taking the "current" varistream model out the equation, an electronic controller should always SAVE power by the pump running slower than without it.

DaveG

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2013, 08:10:05 am »
Cheers Dave and Winpro.

I've got the same controller as you Win, think I'll give your idea a go.

Sorry to hijack thread Dazzo!

;D ;D ;D ;D

4 smileys for ya!
You can't polish a turd

dazmond

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2013, 08:19:02 am »
im off to buy another leisure battery in a min from a local supplier.ill leave it on charge at home and go to work.if battery starts dying on me this afternoon ill simply pop back home and fit the new one.

ive  cleaned  one of the terminals with cola as the negative terminal was slightly corroded.think ill buy some better connectors instead of the crappy crocodile clips that were supplied with the pumpbox while im there.

cheers guys.

ive no idea about split charge relays etc wired up to van battery.how do you get wires to the battery if your pump is at the other end of the van? ??? ???
price higher/work harder!

jonboywalton75

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 08:22:02 am »
I use a 110amp leisure  battery.
Lasts 3 days between charges.
No controller.
I have a cigarette lighter  adapter  as a backup,  so never have to go home early.

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2013, 03:08:08 pm »
Hi Dazmond

What charger are you using, you have said an intelligent battery charger but does it stipulate what size battery it will charge or is it an intelligent charger from say a trolly system.  What size is the battery you have, how many Amp hours?

I would recommend spending some money on a good charger like a CTEK, in the long run a good charger will prolong the life of the battery.  I'd also recommend getting an AGM battery, however seeing as you only run one pump this is less of an issue, but an AGM battery as opposed to a standard Lead Acid will last a lot longer.

If your work is compact then I would advise against wiring to the van battery as you will drain you battery and not be able to start back up.  I do think the option of getting batteries from a scrap yard is a good idea certainly cost effective even if the battery only last 3 months or so.

There is a difference between starter batteries and leisure, a starter is made do give out a lot of amps in one go but not to discharge to near empty levels, where as a leisure is the other way around, discharges to near empty ok but can'y give out a lot of amps in one hit.

Simon.

concept

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2013, 03:14:47 pm »
i bought a new pumpbox around 5 months ago now with 12v lead acid leisure battery.

i charge it every night for around 3 hours until the intelligent charger shows a green light(meaning battery fully charged and maintaining)then i pop it back in pumpbox ready for the next days work.

anyway both today and yesterday the controller is flashing BAT 10.8 after around 5 hours working time and pump keeps kicking in periodically! >:( >:(

i had the whole of last week off but when i checked battery on sun night it was still showing a full charge!

im gonna leave battery on charge all night tonight even when the green light comes on and see how i go on tomorrow.

my last leisure battery lasted 2 and a half years before it finally needed replacing!

any ideas guys?? ??? ??? ???

frustrating as i wanted to get a bit more work done today and i have a busy few days ahead of me!!

thanks in advance

dazmond

110a leisure battery and split charge system, you will never need to charge the battery again, just replace it in a year or 2.

Never seen the point in charging batteries nightly or messing about taking them out, invest in decent gear and it repays you in an instant.

£70 leisure battery
£80 DECENT split charger with correct gauge cabling

Trouble free.

Dave Willis

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2013, 04:52:14 pm »
I had an electrician run the power from the van battery to the back with an inline fuse. I fully expected problems starting the van at the end of the day but have had none on six year old batteries too. Most of my work is compact. I reckoned I spent £500 on leisure batteries since 2007. What a waste of money!

evo

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2013, 04:54:01 pm »
i bought a new pumpbox around 5 months ago now with 12v lead acid leisure battery.

i charge it every night for around 3 hours until the intelligent charger shows a green light(meaning battery fully charged and maintaining)then i pop it back in pumpbox ready for the next days work.

anyway both today and yesterday the controller is flashing BAT 10.8 after around 5 hours working time and pump keeps kicking in periodically! >:( >:(

i had the whole of last week off but when i checked battery on sun night it was still showing a full charge!

im gonna leave battery on charge all night tonight even when the green light comes on and see how i go on tomorrow.

my last leisure battery lasted 2 and a half years before it finally needed replacing!

frustrating as i wanted to get a bit more work done today and i have a busy few days ahead of me!!

thanks in advance

dazmond

110a leisure battery and split charge system, you will never need to charge the battery again, just replace it in a year or 2.

Never seen the point in charging batteries nightly or messing about taking them out, invest in decent gear and it repays you in an instant.

£70 leisure battery
£80 DECENT split charger with correct gauge cabling

Trouble free.

run off van battery £0 even better :) i have been doing this for the last 2 years with out any problems and i only do 4000 miles a year

dazmond

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2013, 06:52:04 pm »
cheers for all the advice guys!

it seems as though i should of charged it all night on sunday night after a week off work last week even though my charger was showing a full charge.

today before work it was reading 12.7 volts and 12.2 volts after a full days work with no problems whatsover.
price higher/work harder!

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2013, 07:12:53 pm »

thanks in advance

dazmond

Check the connectors are all in good condition replace any that are worn or damaged. If you have a new V11 controller they come with a low battery cut off over ride. Check your quick start guide and see.
V16 Is Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhbZirSlpI&t=8s
Polarity Protect technology