hotsteam

Re: going over the vat how did customers take it
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 11:48:17 pm »
If you go over the VAT threshold in one quarter you should be VAT registered.
 It is not worked out over 12 months, ask an accountant.

sean mcc

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 09:25:26 am »
David @St Ives ,Some people do not want to be big,all you are doing is collecting the VAT for the government,with the chance of loosing customers as your services are more expensive than the non vat man,what tends to happen with a lot of people is they collect the extra money in,spend it,then the vat bill lands on the mat :o :o and do not forget the extra acountants bills

Rogue Trader

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 11:00:52 am »
Extra turnover = extra profit
Extra turnover = extra expenses - vat being one of them.

If you want to earn more money legally you have to be burdened with extra expenses , it really is as simple as that.

If you are happy with the profit that you are making whilst trading under the vat threshold or trading in an illegal manor then that is your choice.

Others do not want to limit their turnover or profit and need to take on extra expenses in order to do that. The upside of this business model is that eventually it will allow/require you to run your business from behind a desk and not with a pole in your hand.

g.brookes

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 12:42:47 pm »
Why is this so difficult? Just put up your domestic customers prices. Not specifically by 20% but around that. You say they haven't gone up for 5 years so add £1 or £2 quid onto every customer. 9 out of 10 won't complain. Commercial customers won't give a damn cos they can claim it back anyway.
It's really simple

Rogue Trader

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 12:43:12 pm »
Only one on the wall Paul, that one is a pole from yester year It depicts how window cleaners used to ply their trade ;)

C o z y

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 12:58:35 pm »
Don't know about in UK, but over here, when we send invoices to commercial customers, it looks like we're a fish and chip set up as we have to note on the invoice that all prices are net and not gross (inc VAT). It may give a less than prestigious appearance, but I've split my business to two different companies to stay below the VAT threshold.

It's only my opinion, but anyone who can run a business and not need to raise prices for 5 years must be a fantastic businessman. To have set prices 5 years ago that are still making enough profit today means you should be giving business seminars all over the UK.To be able to calculate profit margins and costs so far into the future means that you're in the wrong line of work. If I was as good as you are Richy, I'd work in the stock exchange mate. Well done.

Got any tips on how you've managed to do that?

No still don't understand, I must be thick

deeege

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2013, 01:15:52 pm »
Don't know about in UK, but over here, when we send invoices to commercial customers, it looks like we're a fish and chip set up as we have to note on the invoice that all prices are net and not gross (inc VAT). It may give a less than prestigious appearance, but I've split my business to two different companies to stay below the VAT threshold.

It's only my opinion, but anyone who can run a business and not need to raise prices for 5 years must be a fantastic businessman. To have set prices 5 years ago that are still making enough profit today means you should be giving business seminars all over the UK.To be able to calculate profit margins and costs so far into the future means that you're in the wrong line of work. If I was as good as you are Richy, I'd work in the stock exchange mate. Well done.

Got any tips on how you've managed to do that?

I don't know where you are running your business Chris, but here in the UK what you are doing is illegal. Direct quote from HMRC below.

Do not avoid registering for VAT by artificially separating business activities
If you run more than one business, the sales in all those businesses must normally be added together to determine whether or not you must register for VAT.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/start/register/when-to-register.htm#7
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

S.A.J

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2013, 02:47:01 pm »
Richy just do it mate, we did back in Nov 2011 and was the best thing we ever done!!

if it dont work out just sell some work so you go back below the limit and deregister!

C o z y

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2013, 02:51:20 pm »
I'm in Germany mate. Here, a single person can run as many businesses as they wish. I can't run two businesses that do the same thing though. One biz is glass, and the other is carpets and upholstery cleaning.

When I open another biz later this year, that will be seperate too. As long as any of my firms don't provide the same service and are seperate companies, I avoid the VAT threshold. Same with tax avoidance. Not illegal to avoid paying tax. Tax EVASION is illegal though.

I was just amazed at getting prices so good 5 years in advance though!! I'm impressed with Richy's business vision.

Paul Clapham

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 03:26:13 pm »
If you are trading at say £76,000 for a full year and then the following year you increase your turnover to £80,000  and you become VAT registered , you will in fact make a lot less money / profit in that year, you really need to increase your turnover by a very larger amount to make it worth becoming VAT registered.

Go and talk you your account and study your Profit and Loss // Accounts and work out how much you need to turnover as a VAT registered business to make the SAME PROFIT as when you where a  non VAT registered business ..................you will be surprised at the outcome.

If you don't do this you could in fact LOOSE MONEY by going VAT registered , you need to know where you  need to be turnover wise to make it work , its not very business minded to just say " oh I will just add £1 to each customers bill "  :o
This is the season for fine wine, and drunken friends, enjoy this moment, for this moment is your life.

ronnie paton

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 04:00:23 pm »
I would also like to say I haven't increased prices in 5 or so years maybe my prices were high originally but we do well and still grow and don't put the prices up much.

It's a recession look how the average wage has gone up in 5 years?? Not much my hourly rate per person is the same has it was 5 years ago are around that and it more than enough in today over exhausted market!

C o z y

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2013, 04:08:33 pm »
I would also like to say I haven't increased prices in 5 or so years maybe my prices were high originally but we do well and still grow and don't put the prices up much.

It's a recession look how the average wage has gone up in 5 years?? Not much my hourly rate per person is the same has it was 5 years ago are around that and it more than enough in today over exhausted market!

Upto yourself Ronnie. I'm not that far sighted, so I raise prices every 12 to 18 months. I lose some but that's the way things are I suppose. I just wish I could set prices that're that accurate in 5 years time. Maybe I'll get the hang of that one day.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2013, 04:30:12 pm »
If you are trading at say £76,000 for a full year and then the following year you increase your turnover to £80,000  and you become VAT registered , you will in fact make a lot less money / profit in that year, you really need to increase your turnover by a very larger amount to make it worth becoming VAT registered.

Go and talk you your account and study your Profit and Loss // Accounts and work out how much you need to turnover as a VAT registered business to make the SAME PROFIT as when you where a  non VAT registered business ..................you will be surprised at the outcome.

If you don't do this you could in fact LOOSE MONEY by going VAT registered , you need to know where you  need to be turnover wise to make it work , its not very business minded to just say " oh I will just add £1 to each customers bill "  :o

Well said, common sense at last! ;)

The trouble on here is that some use VAT threads as a boasting tool to big themselves up while some only see it as a some kind of trophy, like, hey I'm going VAT registered, that MUST be a good thing eh? :-\

Advice like "just do it" is frankly, fercking stupid!

Halfadaylee

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2013, 04:47:06 pm »
YES don't do it, stay small and unsuccessful, and to tell yourself you are never going to be big.

I am not vat'ed so I must be small and unsuccessful, I don't ever tell myself Im never going to be big but I may just start by eating 6 meals a day.
Behind you must be one very clever woman Dave.
Art

sean mcc

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2013, 05:18:39 pm »
Remember Turnover for Vanity and all that ::)

ronnie paton

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2013, 05:20:57 pm »
It's not a trophy but its an essential move if you want to grow has you can not have a turnover off more than £76000 with out taking this step!
Some people on here don't want to surpas this some do. I put it down to personal ambition all though if you not massively exceed it and do not pass it on ul greatly effect your profits.

When I took the plunge I went mad to get work and increased turnover by about 70% and also went on the flat rate.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2013, 08:29:22 pm »
Lee

I was replying to Rich, he wants to be big and successfull, that doesnt mean everyone is the opposite to that, but of course you know that.

and Yes my wife does it all, I just sit there and wave a magic wand and it all just happens.

spongebob

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2013, 03:06:33 am »
David @St Ives ,Some people do not want to be big,all you are doing is collecting the VAT for the government,with the chance of loosing customers as your services are more expensive than the non vat man,what tends to happen with a lot of people is they collect the extra money in,spend it,then the vat bill lands on the mat :o :o and do not forget the extra acountants bills

It was an ironic reply i think.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2013, 10:13:29 am »
Sean

Most people don't just poke there heads through vat, they fly through it and have to embrace it anyway.

We are vat registered and the money i get to keep in my pocket after vat and all other expences is now hell of a lot higher than it was before.

Dean Taberner

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2013, 10:40:19 am »
Sean

Most people don't just poke there heads through vat, they fly through it and have to embrace it anyway.

We are vat registered and the money i get to keep in my pocket after vat and all other expences is now hell of a lot higher than it was before.

I poked my head into a loft once whilst policing and nearly got it kicked off.

Very frightening. A lot worse than windows.

Dean.
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk