Water pressure on external connector
« on: October 10, 2005, 01:55:54 pm »
Anyone have any probs with their external hose connector in terms of water blasting out when disconnecting -
I have let it run a bit through the brush after switching the pump off but even so there is still water spillage from the system.
Is this normal/unavoidable?

rosskesava

Re: Water pressure on external connector
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 10:28:54 pm »
I've found that also and I just assumed it was a build up of pressure from the hose/tubing expanding and then rapidly going back to it's original shape.

Cheers

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 10:38:36 pm »
I'm not wfp yet, but it's all coming together in my head.
If you are talking about:
Build up of water left in long hose from van mounted tank to pole;
You switch off pump near tank; water still in hose.  Make a T connector and fit with drain off back into tank.  Then disconnect other end of hose.
Does that make any sense?

Pj

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 10:39:23 pm »
yes

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 10:44:55 pm »
Bingo! 8)

Pj

rosskesava

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 11:07:36 pm »
er...

We have a now stop end between the hose and the pole so the water stays in the hose.

Next time we use the pole there is no wait for the water to go through 100m of  hose first.

Is that not a good idea for some reason I don't know about?

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 11:08:47 pm »
I think it is more about de pressurising at night

rosskesava

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 11:24:52 pm »
I think it is more about de pressurising at night

Me or the wfp?

Sorry but what the heck does that mean?

Just when I thought I had it all worked out.......................... help

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 11:30:59 pm »
instead of keeping all the pressure inside the hose let the hose flow without the pump running and that de pressurises it

rosskesava

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 11:46:16 pm »
Oh...  :o

Now I understand.

Gee, ain't I bright.

Cheers Dave.

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 07:18:49 am »
the t connector sounds like a solution - i do stop the pump and let it run off through the brush for a little bit and that leaves less coming out of the external connector when i disconnect - if i don't do that i get a bit of a soaking :-\
wouldn't mind seeing a photo if anyone has one, of a t connector set up
thanks,  Red

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 08:18:47 am »
I've only got a mental picture! ::)  Not even set up myself yet.  But that was one thing I had already considered as doing from the start, knowing what a pain it can be winding up my garden hose still full of water when I've cut off the flow both ends.
I have in mind to fix the pump & flow controller to a board along with length of hose, then connector with cut off/tap, then T piece with drain off hose back to tank and connector to long hose _ away you go.  If you know what I mean?
I'm sure plenty of you guys have got that sorted already so could show a photo.

Pj

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 04:42:56 pm »
I'm sure Hoselock do a multi connector with an end stop.

Pj

http://www.garden4less.co.uk/products.asp?cat=12

4way tap connector No.2150 £16.99

I knew I'd seen it somewhere.

Same page, further down:  No.9470 £24.99 looks very useful.  I think I'll get one.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 05:34:11 pm »
Anyone have any probs with their external hose connector in terms of water blasting out when disconnecting -
I have let it run a bit through the brush after switching the pump off but even so there is still water spillage from the system.
Is this normal/unavoidable?

Davindo

There should only be a bit of a dribble from the hose lock connector itself ,any more than that ,then you could have a faulty connector or it is not a hoselock stop end .I am soon to be changing all my hoselock connectors to the ones where you push the hose over and secure with jubilee clips to cut down on leaks .I think the ones i will have to keep is the one on the end of the hose and the one to the side of the reel.

Dave

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 06:22:34 pm »
Hi Dave - I tried a few times today and find it makes a big difference leaving the pole connected until after turning the pump off - that said, there are one or two leaks including on the di hose connection so I will likely follow suit with some clips
PJ - if I didn't have the Varistream I would have had something like that to ease the stand alone pump and allow the water to run back to the tank - though I cannot picture the bit about emptying the hose back to the tank - would that not mean having to keep waiting for a long fill up every time you start a job
we've just had a power cut
wor lass just drove into a bus (just phoned)
waiting for the third thing??? :'(

surecleansystems

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2005, 07:10:09 pm »
hi

We use a flow control valve at the end of the hose before the the pole.  It has a little switch on it you turn it and it stops the water coming out.  Also good for connecting between tank and di unit to stop water draining out of pump and having to wait to prime it again between jobs.  Good news it is only £4.99+vat.  It solved the problem for us.

Its not our site yet but can send picture if interested

Thanks Art

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2005, 08:53:10 pm »
Hi Art - a photo would be helpful - I am sure there would be others who are starting up etc that might like to see that

thanks, Red

Roy Harding

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2005, 08:59:55 pm »

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2005, 09:13:03 pm »
Hi Dave - I tried a few times today and find it makes a big difference leaving the pole connected until after turning the pump off - that said, there are one or two leaks including on the di hose connection so I will likely follow suit with some clips
PJ - if I didn't have the Varistream I would have had something like that to ease the stand alone pump and allow the water to run back to the tank - though I cannot picture the bit about emptying the hose back to the tank - would that not mean having to keep waiting for a long fill up every time you start a job
we've just had a power cut
wor lass just drove into a bus (just phoned)
waiting for the third thing??? :'(

Mmmm.
I'm at the beginning still, Red, don't take too much notice of me.  But I would've thought if your pump is on first, by the time you are at your window you've got water.  but I guess it depends how close your next job is.

Is your wife ok?

Pj

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2005, 09:21:21 pm »
I'm probably too impatient and it's not that long a wait :)
thanks for asking PJ - the wife is fine - the bus is dented and mercifully she was driving a company car which she had the loan of until Monday coming ;D