dai

Tax allowance for internet?
« on: October 08, 2005, 12:02:03 pm »
Hi guys, does anyone know what portion of our internet providers fee is tax deductable? How much can we claim back? we need it for our clients e-mails so there must be some part of it we can claim for. Dai

AuRavelling79

Re: Tax allowance for internet?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 12:55:24 pm »
And you need it to access this site which is a serious aid to improving your business (even if it is good fun too!)

So does 50% of your internet and computer running costs (cartridges etc) sound justifiable? That's what I reckon anyway. But then I've got kids using it for homework too.
It's a game of three halves!

dai

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 01:12:37 pm »
Yes Malk, even 50% would save me about £108 a year.
 Better in our pockets than the tax mans. Dai

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 02:28:51 pm »
That's it then 50%
All agreed?
Right.
I'll put that down.  Any problems, I'll just print this off, and tell 'em it says so 'ere mate ;D

matt

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 02:40:59 pm »
last year my acountant claimed 14 quid for computer and printer costs :(

14 quid, made me laugh, i had receipts for computer / IT stuff for over 2 K

she does play it safe though

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 03:25:00 pm »
I was told by the taxhelp line a couple of years ago that I'm only a window cleaner and I don't need a computer (even though I was running a web site...

Still sneaked the cost of the system through though as a capital expediture gained from the depressiation value ect..

I think my book keeper clainmes about 60% against tax as I use it for the forum, banking,Web site, e-mails,faxing,taking payments, and excessn to information relivant to my trade..
This % includes printers, paper, inks,scanners,hard and soft ware updates,date storage (dicsks)

The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

Paul Coleman

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 03:39:54 pm »
I was told by the taxhelp line a couple of years ago that I'm only a window cleaner and I don't need a computer (even though I was running a web site...

Still sneaked the cost of the system through though as a capital expediture gained from the depressiation value ect..

I think my book keeper clainmes about 60% against tax as I use it for the forum, banking,Web site, e-mails,faxing,taking payments, and excessn to information relivant to my trade..
This % includes printers, paper, inks,scanners,hard and soft ware updates,date storage (dicsks)

I don't actually book any of my broadband connection against tax but I should.  I have a domain name which is 100% business (£23.50 a year).  Printer, ink and paper is 90% as I print all my own leaflets, invoices etc and use very little of it for personal use.  The computer and other accessories is 50%.  I don't use the computer a great deal for fun things but it's great for keeping my business records, accessing this forum etc.  I've never done a minute by minute calculation but those proportions are about right for me.

Gordon_Taylor

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 04:38:27 pm »
At the end of the day this is the 21st century of online banking, email I put every penny of my computer cost through my books, as I have to check bank accounts make payments to the inland revenue and reply to customers email's just because were window cleaners does not mean we can not use a computer to make our buissnes run better, my advice chance your arm and put it all through the books whats the worst that can happen they might knock a bit off.

Gordon.
Quality is doing it right, even when no-one is looking.

Solo Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2005, 09:51:21 pm »
As long as its only tax avoidance your aiming for then dont worry.
 ;D

If it's Tax evasion then you better start hiding (or running) now. 8)

Lee

Londoner

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005, 08:24:58 am »
I'd never thought of claiming for my computer costs !!!
Well done, the forum strikes again.
I'll be talking to my accountant soon anyway and I will definitely bring that one up.

What else do you guys claim for that I don't ?

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2005, 05:23:19 pm »
Self assessment is called 'Self assessment', so you should be able to assess your tax by yourself.

I've read a book called 'Self Assessment for the Self Employed' which was really helpful with it came to understanding (can't remember it all now though) stuff like Capital Allowances.

Anyway, anything I purchase for work I claim against my tax bill.  Or at least a percentage of it; even this computer I'm typing on now.  I manage my customer data-base on it; print of my 'Your window cleaning has been' chits, letters, invoices and control who owes me what.  Also, any clothing (no logo); anything at all for work.

If I ever receive a tax investigation I'll do my best to justify those items and if the tax man says that I am wrong; then I'll refund what I owe.

Is there anything wrong with this logic?

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2005, 06:08:52 pm »
Many years ago I used to sell accounting service to the licenced trade, and some of the things that they can claim for are brill.
i.e. trade mags and journals (Iclaim for these as a window cleaner)
flowers (to put around the venue)
Dog food (if they kept a dog for security)
Daily papers(for customers to read)
Laundry(I also claim this item)
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

Paul Coleman

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2005, 06:16:40 pm »
Many years ago I used to sell accounting service to the licenced trade, and some of the things that they can claim for are brill.
i.e. trade mags and journals (Iclaim for these as a window cleaner)
flowers (to put around the venue)
Dog food (if they kept a dog for security)
Daily papers(for customers to read)
Laundry(I also claim this item)

Yes I forgot to mention the magazine subscription.  I offset that against tax too.  The subscription for anyone who joins a trade association is also tax deductible.

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2005, 06:20:52 pm »
If you are a WFPoler can you claim your water rates against tax?
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

Paul Coleman

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2005, 06:40:12 pm »

That might be a bit tricky unless you are on a meter.  No harm trying though.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2005, 06:56:21 pm »

I'd be careful of that one - surely the water company could take the view you're using it for business and charge a different (higher?) rate.

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2005, 06:59:49 pm »
I'd be careful of that one - surely the water company could take the view you're using it for business and charge a different (higher?) rate.

They won't know
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

Solo Cleaning

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2005, 09:24:38 pm »
Was doing my tax return online earlier this year and wanted to check some expenses to do with car usage.

I claim by the mile and wanted to check the rates.

Anyway the point of this post is to point out that according to the Tax Man we W/C's are a bunch of "Itinerant Traders"

Lee

AuRavelling79

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2005, 10:13:48 pm »

They won't know

Until nosy neighbour tips them off.