Chamois Leather
« on: October 02, 2005, 07:20:40 pm »
Hi all,

Does anyone here use a chamois?  If so how and why?

I've bought one a couple of weeks ago, (a big one - cost about a tenner), and thought it was okay as a scrim; as long as I only used it for edges.  But the only advange I can see is that it feels nice to touch!

I only ask now, as Wor Lass has just put it in the washing machine - which is probably the wrong thing to do.

Graham_Gould

Re: Chamois Leather
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 07:23:43 pm »
Its the wrong thing to do.

Why wash a chamois?  Do they wash themsleves in the wild?

Beat the dirt out of it, and use it again.

That's what I do with the wife,and it works every time.

;) in case your wondering if I'm trying to get banned.  No.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 07:53:29 pm »
Tosh and Graham

I dont know of any window cleaners who use chamois .
And the washing machine was a bad idea  .

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 07:59:27 pm »
the nearest I've come to a chamois are the "rats tails" not used either for years,
I've found that for detailing I've reverted back to scrims,and for any work I did with the rats tail I now use a clean cloth and pure water to make it damp works a treat, no smearing and if it needs a polish then its the scrim..

My vans like a pick and mix site since I've been on this forum all the different things that I try out..
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

busydaffodil

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 08:30:19 pm »

:o

One assumes one is joking? 

;)

neil100

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 08:56:44 pm »
Yep im afraid i'm still using them.

their ok,but some start smelling like a rats behind,but the customer knows i'm about.

Graham_Gould

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 09:08:30 pm »

:o

One assumes one is joking? 

;)
Darhling... you know me not - but others here think they do...

Sadly you will not 'know' me for long, as a statement is due.

(ps, you look cute in that pvc  ;)  )

busydaffodil

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 09:19:08 pm »
oooerrrrrrr ;D

Biscute

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 12:09:17 pm »
i would use a scrim every time, ther cheaper and do the job just as well if not better. to clean chamois i would just give them a blast with some clean water and then a squeeze.
Dont argue with a retard, they will just pull you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 06:05:12 pm »
Washing machine...oops :o

I used to use them, they can be good, but it does take skill to use them.
Wash in clean water, I'm sure I used to use Dreft or something like that to hand wash them with.
And they only feel lovely and soft when nice and new!

When I first started I was using them to clean plate glass windows, and they were coming up almost flawless.
In use you need to rinse them regularly and wring the living bejesus out of them, you need to wring them so that they are only JUST damp.
I would use a damp scrim (on the wet side of damp) to wash the glass clean of dirt and muck, and with the glass still damp, but not running with water, use the chamois to buff dry.

But you can do all this with a wet and dry scrim just as well.....even better with a washer and squeegee ;D

Once I had learned the squeegee technique I changed to using a mop leather (the one that looks like a Rasta's hair do!) I used this as a damp scrim for the opening lights and buffed clean and dry with a scrim, ditto georgian and leaded windows.
Finally doing away with the mop leather and just using a damp scrim/dry scrim compo.

Now it is WFP....thank god for progress 8)

Regards,

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

sair

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 06:37:11 pm »
a dying art tosh, started out with them 20 years ago .

no point any more a micro fiber can be washed and when wet will clean as well if not better ,twice as cheap and last four times as long and wont smell !
Essentially Pure Ltd

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005, 07:12:50 pm »
Well, I only bought one because they looked nice and 'shiny' in the shop.

Expensive sill-cloth!

rosskesava

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005, 07:44:41 pm »
I used chamois for a few years untill each one disintergrated and I don't know why I stopped using them.

For washing I used to bung them in with the cloths once a week which is wrong I know but I'm lazy.

In the heat of the summer a chamois dries out to quick but other times of the year, especially when it's really cold, they are perfect for detailing.

The added bonus is that all you need is a tap to rinse them out if they get to much muck on them.

To stop them stinking the place out, I used to soak them in water with lemon juice added.

Cheers