Paul Coleman

First attempt at WFP
« on: October 02, 2005, 06:38:09 pm »
Hi.
I tried my portable WFP equipment out today.  I'm sure the equipment is fine but I wasn't too happy with the results I got.  The finish was nice on a few old wooden windows but rubbish on the UPVC ones (fitted about 5 years ago).  I ended up squeegeeing the worst ones off.  It looked horrific walking away with the glass wet but I went down the road to do some other work (trad methods) and returned to inspect more closely when the WFP job had dried out.  After it had dried out it looked a lot better but I still wasn't too impressed with what I had done in general.  These windows have all been cleaned regularly (last time was 6 weeks ago).  It may be that it will take another clean or two to get the detergentr out properly.  I tried various flow rates, I tried rinsing with brush on AND brush off at various windows.  I tried extra rinsing too.  Some of the UPVC work was acceptable  but some of it was rubbish.
I used an Omnitrolley and the green/red brushheads.  As I said, I'm sure it was my inexperience coupled with ingrained detergent rather than the equipment.  It will be a few weeks before I do WFP again (waiting till I get set up with van mount before I start doing it in earnest).  I hope to be set up before I next visit the job I did today as I'm hoping it will be easier next time around.

Re: First attempt at WFP
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 07:35:05 pm »
Dont worry Shiner  :)

It comes with experience and getting over the "leaving wet" which seems so unnatural at the start.  Have faith that it will dry out ok. Yes probably the first couple of times round you will be removing old dried detergent etc but you will soon notice just how much "shinier" they seem to get and stay that way.

No.. WFP isn't a magic wand. Its just another tool of the trade that you have to get used to.

One village that we go to has a transport cafe just outside it so we pop there for a bite at lunch when doing that village. When we pulled up the last time I said to my oppo " look thats been cleaned by WFP"  Its a dusty environment there and the window were always dull. This time they really shone. Asked the owner and yes...  her WC had done it twice with WFP.  And a good job he had done as well  :)

Andrew

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 07:41:14 pm »
Shiner - were you getting runs or just spotting -  if the runs were from the top it means a bit more rinsing on the top frame - or return to the window after few minutes and just rinse the glass

I am getting good results with my set up but funnily enough made a pigs ear of my own (pvc) a few days ago - quite a few runs  - must have overlooked the basics :-\

I am finding that on average I use probably 3 times normal amount on first cleans with the Varistream set at nearly 11 O' Clock on the dial (just in case you have Varistream)

I am the same on the 'leaving them wet' situation as Andrew says - it's hard just to let go sometimes ;)

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 08:08:11 pm »
Keep at it
 it does work
as I posted a while ago the system does work but during the first few weeks/months there are a few trick's that have to be learnt/mastered , and at the start you yourself are not shure about it working right.

But a few months down the road and your confidence in the system will have grown and you'll know that the job has been done right without having to keep checking.
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

P @ F

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 08:46:18 pm »
Just keep on with it mate , when i switched i was pooing it at first , i just gave it a good going over and left , at the end of the day i passed back through to inspect the job , if it wasnt that good i just scimmed the bottems and gave the spiel about a few cleans to come good , it hasnt failed me yet , and they all come good in the end , 3 cleans tops .

Rich  P @ F  ;D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Paul Coleman

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 09:13:54 pm »
Shiner - were you getting runs or just spotting -  if the runs were from the top it means a bit more rinsing on the top frame - or return to the window after few minutes and just rinse the glass

I am getting good results with my set up but funnily enough made a pigs ear of my own (pvc) a few days ago - quite a few runs  - must have overlooked the basics :-\

I am finding that on average I use probably 3 times normal amount on first cleans with the Varistream set at nearly 11 O' Clock on the dial (just in case you have Varistream)

I am the same on the 'leaving them wet' situation as Andrew says - it's hard just to let go sometimes ;)

Mainly spots.  I was cleaning well above the heads of the frames too (except for the window with the vent).  I have learned a lot of stuff from this site.  I think I need some more practical experience.  Would be nice to spend a few hours working with a WFPer.  Although I would probably slow someone down on the WFP, I could help them make it up by squeegeeing the lower floor.