Simon Carter

Buying direct
« on: September 29, 2005, 08:38:02 pm »
I deal with a number of companies for product, but mostly they are just punting it on. They do not manufacture. A while back I phoned a ladder manufacturer who informed me that I could buy direct with no minimum order requirement. In the process I saved nearly a ton. I'm wondering if there may be similar opportunities to cut out the middle men on WFP kit. One recent question was where to get resin at best price. That would be from the manufacturer. Any ideas?. If there is a significant minimum order requirement, how about a buyers club? If there was no profit motive, but just a desire to cut costs & we worked together surely there would be scope here. Obviously, it would take some organising, but it could be worth it.
Onwards and Upwards...

Re: Buying direct
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 08:58:43 pm »
Very good idea Simon

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 09:01:04 pm »
I'll speak for Golden Graham during his sabbatical!

Try Tesco.  They'll be selling WFP soon :P

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 09:08:33 pm »
Very good idea Simon

Maybe this suggestion could form part of a new fed initiative.

Members place orders for an items and then when it reaches a minimum quantity which earns extra discount from the MANUFACTURER.

Would have to be co-ordinated from a new fed member but worth raising a a topic tomorrow.

Andrew, I think your going so maybe you could raise it if you are in agreement.

Sarah
Sarah

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 09:10:14 pm »
cheapscates !!!!!!
 ;D

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 09:14:33 pm »
Sorry Simon,

This was your suggestion - are you going to the meeting tomorrow ?

If you are it is only fair you should raise it - I only suggested Andrew cos I read somewhere that he is going.

Forgive me PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!

Sarah
Sarah

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 09:41:29 pm »
herewith the problem lies.
It is not easy as you think ,who is going to manage this network and store goods ,postage etc .no-one is going to do it out of the goodness of there hearts.After management fees and commitee expenses have been paid and employees wages ,there will not be much discount left .you only have to see the present feds shop prices to see this.

When Richard branson bid to do the lottery ,he said he would not take a penny profit ,but the problem was in the small print  the management fees ,expenses and salaries were far in excess of camelots profits (double i think).so what sometimes seems good on the surface may not always be the best way
When the middle men are forced out of business ,and the manufacturers main customer becomes the group ,then they could hold you over a barrel and put the prices up.
It is fare competition what forces prices down.Look at the oil cartel in the middle East ,they decide to hold back production so prices go up , then they all profit ,leave it to a few players ,then they have no incentives to cut prices because they have a big market share.
What if the new comitee whatever ,decides to deal with say one resin manufacturer and the out of favour give up developing resin for wfp ,we will be left with one producer.And without direct competition prices will go up.
It is a bit like state owned enterprises they become stale old fashioned and inefficient .and only direct competition can move things forward and bring down prices.

Dave

ps .if it dont make much sense i was rushing but i think you can see the picture.

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 10:01:59 pm »
As I said, (Graham speaking)

TESCO

Feel the force

rosskesava

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 10:18:16 pm »
Hi Dave

That's how it all works isn't it. Good posting and very valid points.

The idea of all clubbing together is fine..... That's what a middle man is and what a distributer does.

Cheers

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 11:37:43 pm »
HI Everyone

Sarah did raise a good point as did Dave.

However, the way I see it, some discount is better than none. I have a good few ideas which I will put in the meeting and discounted goods are one of them.

As I have done previously on here, I gave members the opportunity to buy the Shurflo Backpack from the states, saving them at least £50 compared to UK prices. Now I did not and will not ever make a penny out of them. The price they paid is the price the states supplier charges. However, I am constantly looking for cheaper suppliers than our UK ones and have now found one, who offers brand new Shurflo pumps 12v 100 psi in or around £50 including postage. Once I place my order and verify the product, I will again post details on here.

The trouble with UK suppliers is they have us buy the short and curly’s so to say.

However, the meeting will prove interesting and I will inform everyone of the outcome, good or bad, as I am sure David will as well.

Andrew

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 11:49:56 pm »
Andrew

if we could do a trade buy from the states and europe ,that would be a good pressure point on uk prices.
As the mfr`s inflict the prices on the middle men according to where they are located in the world .
The same as car prices are now starting to match europe

You better get some sleep now boy cause you are buying brekkie tommorrow

Dave

sair

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2005, 09:03:38 pm »
if you start buying direct would that not make you a supplier and mean you cant also state prices .sometimes supliers have items which the general public use and dont make a large profit on just so they can offer a selection of alternatives to the end consumer i have been buying resin for years the margin is so minimal i think why bother but its a product they use  and rely on me having in stock for there  uses ,  the more custmers you have the more back up is needed and more stock is also needed .i wonder what prices you all think products are  purchased at ?andrew the cost in distribution affects us all especially with sprialling costs in fuel

i can state that theres more profitt in window cleaning than supply . i know as i do both
Essentially Pure Ltd

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2005, 10:51:02 pm »
There are always exceptions to the rule such as the ladders mentioned.

However for what you could describe as consumables, you will find,as Tony says that to be competetive you are working on very slim margins indeed and having to buy in very large quantities tying your money up. Its competition that keeps prices down and the major WC supplies retailers rely on volume across the board of products to make a living.

Buying "groups" associations are not a new idea. They exist in all sorts of trades etc but as David @ St Ives says they need to be run and administered. I personally think that our major supplies retailers do a great job. I always get what I need at a very fair price. Yes every now and then a "good deal" comes up elsewhere and its good that someone brings it to our attention but honestly with regard to the tools of our trade I believe that there is enough competition generated beween the retailers to offer a good price backed up by generally excellent service. As to a new association running this type of scheme I would much rather they put pressure on insurers etc and spend its time and recources promoting the professional image of our indutry and getting rid of the cowboy element which we all have to compete with.

Andrew

Trevor Knight

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 11:39:29 am »
Not sure if this helps, but for what i think is cheap resin go onto ebay, enter window cleaning and you will see a supplier there who sells 25l bags inc vat and delivery for £80

Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 06:48:43 pm »
Andrew,

Was this idea discussed at the meeting ?

Sarah
Sarah

sair

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2005, 07:30:16 pm »
i think thats me on ebay for that said amount
Essentially Pure Ltd