H h20

Cut backs (good news)
« on: September 26, 2005, 03:03:29 pm »
I need to get out there and get more work as one of my main commercial jobs has just made major cut backs and this has affected me as i do 4 premises of theirs twice weekly,it really drops your spirit and while you are being told by the manager, all you can do is think about your family and your own bills,so ive been to the printers today and had flyers made,i use to do a lot of domestic and started to do more commercial and so i dropped most of my domestic but it seems that commercial work doesn`t always pay off,so i hope that these flyers will help,Gaz.

Moderator David@stives

Re: Cut backs
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 03:08:14 pm »
Thats the trouble when you put all your eggs in one basket.

Good luck with the flyers

Dave

Paul Coleman

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 03:10:10 pm »
I need to get out there and get more work as one of my main commercial jobs has just made major cut backs and this has affected me as i do 4 premises of theirs twice weekly,it really drops your spirit and while you are being told by the manager, all you can do is think about your family and your own bills,so ive been to the printers today and had flyers made,i use to do a lot of domestic and started to do more commercial and so i dropped most of my domestic but it seems that commercial work doesn`t always pay off,so i hope that these flyers will help,Gaz.

I'm sure it will be OK.  When things like this happen, there has always been other work come up to replace it.  I've always kept a mix of work types myself.  In the late 80s/early 90s I was on the PAYE and got made redundant three times in two years.  I've always hedged my bets and spread my work around since then.
I'm sure you're aware that door knocking picks up work a lot faster than just fliers on domestic jobs.

H h20

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 03:13:34 pm »
Thanks Dave,i know i know,but when you do a commercial job and they reccomend you for more of their premises what do you do? Im going to try more domestic but its just the collecting its a pain,but i suppose its more of a pain when you loose work,Gaz

H h20

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 03:17:25 pm »
Thanks The Shiner,seems like weve all been there or  will go through it,Gaz.

davidsabishop

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 03:26:40 pm »
This is why I do shops lose one or two doesnt matter

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 03:34:17 pm »
Gaz
i naver worry about collecting because i dont do it .#
i always get paid in the end .

chin up

Dave

John Conroy

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 03:37:20 pm »
Im going to try more domestic but its just the collecting its a pain,

Just get them to send the money on, many W/C do this.

Andy

H h20

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 03:42:28 pm »
Thanks for the replys guys  they are a great comfort,im filling up :'(, its good to know that there are fellow window cleaners who can lift your spirits,cheers,Gaz.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005, 03:49:21 pm »
pull yourself together man ,were not americans   ;D

H h20

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2005, 03:59:37 pm »
 ;D is that better?

jsm

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2005, 04:03:02 pm »

keep your chin up gaz - the same thing happend to me in 2001 , I sub' ed all the Ford car showrooms for essex ford and Toomey Motors off a guy,  who had to lay me off beacause he got a big tax bill that he couldn't pay for  >:(--- only 2 weeks before my TRIPLET girls were born  :(
At the time it was the end of the world but the hunter-gatherer thing kicked in and 3 months later I had 2 guys working for me with one of the biggest  domestic  rounds in Billericay / Basildon . Now I never put all my eggs in one basket , just lots of eggs down lots of streets  ;D
John Malone
JSM. Window & General Cleaning
(  North Wales  )
Giving homes a shine sicne 1989

one of the early gang of wfp er's ---- remember , when you cant see out - give JSM a shout

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2005, 04:06:28 pm »
 :'( :'( :'( :'(
I've been a little sensitive today, brave it out Gaz :'(
You've touched my heart :( :(

Now clear off and annoy someone else ;D

By the way.  Don't collect.  I never do, I tell them send it, leave it for me, or I'll collect next time if they forget.  I only give 'em 2 chances to forget, then I don't do them again till they pay.

Pj

H h20

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2005, 04:07:10 pm »
With all these positive replys im looking forward to "The hunt and Gathering" ;D ,Gaz.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2005, 08:32:06 pm »
GAZ - sorry to hear your bad news.

By the way, have you lost the job completely or could you still negotiate and reduce its frequency, or is it all too late now?
It's a game of three halves!

H h20

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2005, 09:40:12 pm »
I haven`t lost it completly i have been cut back but it`s still a lot of money to loose weekly,it is the type of place that needs to be kept looking clean so i imagine when sales pick up then they will be able to afford more cleans,but i am still going to go for the domestic market as this seems to be a better optoin if you ever loose any work for any reason it doesn`t affect your pocket as bad,cheers,Gaz.

matt

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2005, 09:46:50 pm »
imho comercail is great for a "top up" of earnings, BUT domestics are a safe bet for the "bread and butter" money

i am sure people will say "you have no ambition, blah blah"

this isnt true, my ambition is to earn a living and thats what i do

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2005, 10:27:33 pm »
Hoi Gaz,
The fun is in the chase, get out there there's loads of domestic,

It happend to me several years ago had all the local kwik saves then they went national with the contract, I learnt me to spread myself out, now if I loose a contract or a few domestic no problems, play the numbers game and get those leaflets out there....

the other advantage of domestic they keep the money comming in so when those accounts pay thier monthly accounts you can treat yourself...

Like others have said get them to send a cheque, or ring them the day before and get them to leave the money somewhere for you..

Or if you fancy a bit of peace and quiet get the missus to do the collecting for you (I do cost's me 20% of all she collects but she pays for her own fuel and I get 2 or three nights a week of peace she get a small wage (saves her dipping into my wallet..

Any way Don't let it get you down, now that you've got a WFP there's lots of domestics out there that trad window cleaners can't do
Dormer
above conservatorys
all should be willing to pay that little extra because you can do them...

Alan
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2005, 10:38:45 pm »
Dont get into phoning them you will regret it in the end .
You will just create a rod for your own back.
evenings are for relaxing ,not stressing phoning customers

Dave

rosskesava

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2005, 11:17:07 pm »
Hi Gaz

I know how it feels to loose a chunk of work. This year, commercial wise we've lost some real good work but bit by bit, we're getting other work by not giving up leafleting etc.

Also, with regards resindentual work, we do 2 days a week commercial and 3 days a week resindentual. We are now looking at every other week doing 3 days commercial as the work is building up.

At the moment I think we have a nice mix as the commercial work is by and large done in any weather and is, to my mind, easier work anyway as you don't have to be quite so meticulous. Plus it is almost a certain weekly income.

Resindentual pays better but is more organisation, dependant on the weather and often with more canceled customers than commercial, but is easier when trying for new work.

I think a mix of both types of works is best.

Cheers