Jeff Brimble

Where the spots come from ?
« on: October 30, 2010, 12:39:17 pm »
Just a suggestion for discussion   :)

Once oxidised they stay forever oxidised.

I had a garage showroom a couple of years back; two identical, large showroom windows that were side by side; one would come up perfect every single time, and with the other pane, even though I persevered once a fortnight for several years, every single time I had to go back outside and re-clean with trad methods.

Ian
Given this a lot of thought and maybe its because there are two sides of glass, one side is correctly fitted with the "Tin"/Oil side inwards and the other the wrong way out, I have often found it on new installations where the fitters fit the glass the wrong side out on one of four panes in a group- always spots.  :'(

Frankybadboy

Re: Where the spots come from ?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 01:53:25 pm »
jeff i asked me brother in law about this who works in the glass making industry and he seems to think that there no diffenece to the side of glass.

at the time hed only been there for a few weeks,i will ask the question again now hes been there over a year.

Llaaww

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 05:24:14 pm »
Funny this should come up. I have a showroom with the same trouble, I noticed it yesterday. I need to get on it with a squeegee next visit. Its no real hardship as all inside is soaped off. But I will keep an eye out on here for tips'n' tricks.
if it is dirty it is fair game

Newannaive

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 06:28:19 pm »
its the way its fitted in the frame, if its fitted the wrong way the glass out-facing is hydrophobic.. this means it just beads on the glass and does'nt run off..
If the glass is fitted the correct way then its hydrophilic which means its perfect for wfp because it just all runs off in sheets of water rather than beading leading to spotting.

Newannaive

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 06:55:27 pm »
if it beads it takes longer to dry picking up dust then leaving spots.

Mike #1

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 07:00:01 pm »
so in cold weather all my windows are going to spot because it might take 3 hrs for glass to totally dry

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 07:09:35 pm »

That’s negligible if there’s any wind it could happen to both, and if there’s no wind…….

With the water sheeted on the glass there more area to pick up any particles of dirt.

It can go both ways really & there are loads of factors involved in this issue.

Beading glass takes longer to dry & any dissolved solids or dirt will be concentrated to each bead, leading to more noticeable marks.

Sheeting glass dries quicker but any dirt will be spread out & not concentrated within small beads thus leading to a lesser chance of noticeable marks.

Newannaive

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 07:20:06 pm »

That’s negligible if there’s any wind it could happen to both, and if there’s no wind…….

With the water sheeted on the glass there more area to pick up any particles of dirt.

It can go both ways really & there are loads of factors involved in this issue.

Beading glass takes longer to dry & any dissolved solids or dirt will be concentrated to each bead, leading to more noticeable marks.

Sheeting glass dries quicker but any dirt will be spread out & not concentrated within small beads thus leading to a lesser chance of noticeable marks.
thats what i meant  ;D

mci services

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 07:49:05 pm »
nope I agree with ewan on this one it makes no odds whether the glass beads or sheets

paul saunders

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 07:52:11 pm »
its the way its fitted in the frame, if its fitted the wrong way the glass out-facing is hydrophobic.. this means it just beads on the glass and does'nt run off..
If the glass is fitted the correct way then its hydrophilic which means its perfect for wfp because it just all runs off in sheets of water rather than beading leading to spotting.

Sorry mate, but that has to be the biggest load of tosh i have ever read.  ::) ::)
I can remember when waking up stiff in the morning was a good thing.

david watts

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 07:54:47 pm »
nope I agree with ewan on this one it makes no odds whether the glass beads or sheets
cant get over this if it sheets allways dries ok in my time wfp when it beads i never get good result
not saying your right or wrong but two of you think the same :-\
life is like a box of chocolates you get the crap no one else wants

mci services

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 08:02:08 pm »
maybe its down to methods used to clean, I work on full flow and don't hang around

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 08:24:10 pm »

Yep, in perfect conditions & when done correctly, you're right.

However, I think we're talking about problem windows & certain weather conditions here. ;)

Dave Willis

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 09:07:29 pm »
I would have thought sheeting glass allows the water to flow quicker to the bottom of the frame with the dirt held in suspension whilst beading glass reduces the natural flow to the bottom.

mark m

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 09:14:05 pm »
Again i had the same problem today both windows side by side washed the same  one perfect the other spotting i have seen a clip on you tube regarding white vinegar as first clean and it changes the flow looks good on you tube  has anybody tried it

mci services

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 09:16:04 pm »
I would have thought sheeting glass allows the water to flow quicker to the bottom of the frame with the dirt held in suspension whilst beading glass reduces the natural flow to the bottom.

I don't know the science of it all but the fact is pure water does not spot, so if you get spotting the dirt is coming from somewhere, so look at that first and see if you can identify the problem, sometimes it is the seals or frames or any number of things, method comes into it as well, but to me the type of glass is irrelevant

mci services

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 09:18:12 pm »
Again i had the same problem today both windows side by side washed the same  one perfect the other spotting i have seen a clip on you tube regarding white vinegar as first clean and it changes the flow looks good on you tube  has anybody tried it

mark m just because you cleaned two windows side by side and one beaded and one sheeted does not mean the one that beaded one will not dry clean, hope that makes sense

Dave Willis

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 09:22:47 pm »
All we are doing is loosening dirt with a brush and relying on the flow to wash the particles away - big panes of beading glass need a lot of water for the drops to flow non stop five feet to the bottom. Spotting is simply impure water drying on the glass. Biggest offender being the top of the frame - you can't even see if it's clean followed closely by the seals and beading joins.

Dave Willis

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 09:30:46 pm »
Going back to the very first post Jeff made, I have one house with two panes that have a completely different feel to the rest, they feel clingy and the brush won't glide at all. Never have found out why this is.

mark m

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 09:33:54 pm »
i understand about pure water not leaving any marks but i could  clean the middle of the window ( so no cills or vents etc ) full flow of water for as long as  you like  but it is not as good as the other window you would not notice normally but this time i cleaned inside as well that is why i mentioned white vinegar as it really change the flow or clean ?