P @ F

Dont bin your resin .....
« on: September 08, 2005, 11:08:34 pm »
Hi peeps , as it was raining all day i had one of my nutty proffeser days , i was sat mulling over old posts and it hit me , i remember reading a reply about spotting , that if you cut the flow back the water would spend more time in contact with the resin , thus being purer .
I went out and bought a 10L plastic bin and 2 elbow connectors for the princely sum of £8 , i then cut them into the bin , entry on bottem of one side and exit at top of other side , i then put my old resin from 2 DI fills into bin , oh and i zip tied a piece of fine cloth to each of the elbows on th inside to act as filters.
Then i connected to tap and turned on to very low flow , the tap water was going in at 104 TDS and was coming out at 000 .
Admitedly it was a slow process , i was getting 25L per hour .
The TDS has not yet risen after 50L , thats all the storage i had as the van tank is full , but if i left it on all night at that rate into a butt it would fill it.
I will let you know how many litres it goes for , here are some pics ...

Rich   P @ F   ;D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

twt

Re: Dont bin your resin .....
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 11:25:21 pm »
hardly seems worth the bother spend your free time drinking xxxx with your baby buy an ro like ive just done.

P @ F

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 11:37:58 pm »
Already been there , TDS of 104 and im on a water meter so if you take into account the wastage with RO , id be spending as much on water as i am on resin at present , anyway dont RO's fill your tanks over night ?
So whats the difference , the way i look at it even if the TDS does rise shortly then i have gotten total value from my resin , and the resin in the van will last longer too !
I'll turn the tap on and go drink XXXX with my daughter , that aint hardship !

Rich  P @ F   ;D ;D ;D 

P @ F

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 12:14:33 am »
Well call me tight if you want , got a water butt today and left it running , i just passed the 200L mark and its still coming out at 000 , how long can your old resin go for !

Rich   P @ F    ;D

rosskesava

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 12:20:45 am »
We're new to WFP.

We havn't yet dumped any resin but now I'm going to keep it when it comes to that time.

What an intersting short and simple posting .

Cheers

P @ F

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 12:33:17 am »
If you are gonna give it a go with your old resin , i said very low flow in the description , this was not accurate enough , i should have said trickle , i have found tonight that if the resin in the bin moves at all then the TDS jumps up a bit , no higher than 10 but if your gonna leave it on all night it doesnt matter how slow it is , at 25L per hour your gonna get at least 150L a night .

Rich   P @ F

williamx

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 02:54:38 pm »
P @ f

A good piece

How far from the botton to you put the inlet tap also how far do you fill the container with resin

P @ F

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 01:22:41 am »
Sorry for the delay WilliamX , i been tryin to get an mp3 to work , im a bit of a spaz with technology ! .
I put my inlet about 2 inch from the bottem , my outlet about 2 inch from the top , its a 10L bin that is about 14 inch high , as for the resin ammount  it has had 2 lots of old resin in it , i get about 4 fills from a 25 L bag so i reckon there must be about 9KG of resin there , i dont suppose it really matters how much you put in , as long as you have 2 inches of water covering the resin you should be ok , thats all my measurments any way , as long as you get the flow rate right you'll be laughing , mine is still at 000 TDS after 300 L , i cant believe there aint been more interest in the post , after all , i have just got 300 L of pure from resin i thought was dead , and who knows how long this could go on for !

The thing is , the resin in my van mount is gonna be getting fed with 000 TDS water so thats gonna last way longer too , the implications for my resin use could be huge ..

If you give it a go let me know how it goes for you .

Rich   P @ F    ;D

TY5ON

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2005, 03:24:00 am »
IF YOU PUT THE OLD RESIN IN A FILTER BEFOR THE RO UNIT THE FILTERS ON THAT MIGHT LAST LONGER

williamx

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2005, 01:23:31 pm »
P @ F

I will be trying it as soon as I change my next DI tank, but I was wondering if I put the resin into a 220 litre water butt and let the water trickle slowly through the resin until the water butt is full then drain this water off. Do you think this will work as it will have about 30 inches of water over the resin at the end.

P @ F

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2005, 04:58:01 pm »
Im not sure , do you mean your gonna put the resin at the bottem of the butt and fill it from the bottem ?
If this is what you mean , i think you might have probs with the pressure of the water in the butt being greater than the trickle going in , im not sure it would fill.

What im gonna do t,moro is mount the bin above my water butt and leave it on trickle constantly , and use the water constantly , 6 hours a night at 25 L an hour will produce roughly 150 L , thats almost enough to fill my tank in the van .

Rich  P @ F ;D

P @ F

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2005, 12:10:36 am »
Just thought you people watching this thread might like to know , just hit the 400 L mark and still at 000 TDS , i'm liking this lots !

Rich   P @ F   ;D

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2005, 08:20:05 am »
Already been there , TDS of 104 and im on a water meter so if you take into account the wastage with RO , id be spending as much on water as i am on resin at present , anyway dont RO's fill your tanks over night ?
So whats the difference , the way i look at it even if the TDS does rise shortly then i have gotten total value from my resin , and the resin in the van will last longer too !
I'll turn the tap on and go drink XXXX with my daughter , that aint hardship !

Im on a water meter but the whole idea of a ro is to make pure water quicker and without the change over of resin.

My water bill is £400-500 per 6 months but in resin costs over the same period was £2500.

I now do £200 per day 5 days so this more than enough covers the water bill without the wait for resin delivery and enables you to work constantly day after day.

I have a merlin dont need to refill overnight no storage tank either straight into van tank 700ltr filled up within 4-5 hours

P @ F

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2005, 10:01:25 am »
I do see what your saying Easyclean , but at the moment im happy with the way im doing it , before my little bin invention it was costing me £80 a month on resin , now its costing me less so i cant complain .
As it is i just spent 1K on the wfp and gubbins and i also have a new van coming at the end of the month , so i want to recoup a bit of money before i think about more money on an RO .
One thing i do want to ask you is about your hosereels , do they retract themselves ? , how much hose do they carry ? , how much are they and where from ?

Cheers   Rich  P @ F    ;D

Paul Coleman

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2005, 03:00:47 pm »
Well call me tight if you want , got a water butt today and left it running , i just passed the 200L mark and its still coming out at 000 , how long can your old resin go for !

Rich   P @ F    ;D

.......... and 1,000,000 litres later, he found that the TDS meter was broken
 ;D

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2005, 11:20:45 pm »
As it is i just spent 1K on the wfp and gubbins and i also have a new van coming at the end of the month , so i want to recoup a bit of money before i think about more money on an RO .

My first years overheads were 35 grand i have not made a proffit in two years.I look at long term business as with most business.Ok you want to recoup some money back thats ok but if i could go back when i started i would have got ro straight away as its saved me more money in the last few months than the whole of last year.

P @ F

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2005, 08:41:30 pm »
Just got to 700 L of pure and still going , i have just got it running straight to the butt now , so it gets left on all the time .

Rich   P @ F  ;D

williamx

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2005, 09:58:51 pm »
Rich

I like the set up but do you cover the 10 litre bin because it looks like its out side and if it rains this might push the tds readings up.

twt

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2005, 10:11:57 pm »
looks to me like the bin has a lid on it.

P @ F

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2005, 10:15:40 pm »
It didnt have a lid on in the pic , but it does now !

Rich   P @ F

Central Window Cleaners

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2005, 10:52:10 am »
how many litres di you get out of it in the end?

P @ F

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2005, 09:30:00 pm »
Central windows , i got just short of 900 L at the end , but i have tried it again since with the next lot of used resin and it didnt work at all , all i can think that happened is that i changed the original resin before i was due to , it might have been down to a dodgey reading on my tds meter !
Having said that though , i got 900 L from the bin experiment  and i normally get 1250 L from fresh resin in the di at my normal tds reading , what i am saying is that there is no way that i took it out of the di after 350 L , so it must have lasted longer .
I have just got another bag of resin so im going to give it a go with unused resin just to see what happens , will let you know the results .

Rich   P @ F