bobplum

whats the true cost of going franchise
« on: April 13, 2014, 11:41:20 am »
i understand the initial cost of buying from Ian Lancaster, £1,500 but what other cost would then be involved in trying to franchise my rounds/ work
And not just the monetary value but what other practical things do you need to do

Many thanks

Jim Waugh(Albright & Shiny)

Re: whats the true cost of going franchise
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 12:37:37 pm »
you need to have a chat with Ian.. .

bobplum

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 01:48:47 pm »
probably right

Perfect Windows

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 04:43:09 pm »
Bob,

Feel free to drop me a line (address below) and I'll have a chat any time.  I've gone from zero to two franchisees in a year; third starts in a month, so it's all fresh for me.

Vin

Pete Thompson

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 05:02:59 pm »
The true cost is your self respect.

IMO nobody needs a franchise.  Just get a smart van with a smart system and go out knock on some doors, deliver some flyers and get the business for yourself.

Why in the world would you need to pay someone a franchise fee to do that?

Unlike McDonalds, Subway, or Burger King, there just doesn't exist a window cleaning brand that is recognisable to customers.  If there was, then maybe a franchise would be worthwhile, but there isn't.  No customer will go "ah its Joe Bloggs Window Cleaning, Ive heard of them, they're good"

Just get out there and do it yourself.  Fanchises for window cleaning are a pure waste of money IMO

Matt.

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 05:06:11 pm »
Hello Bob. How would it work with a franchise on domestic properties, that could cancel at the drop of a hat. There's no legal obligation to stick with your window cleaner.
Even with commercial work, contracts these days are worth the paper there on. I have experienced both sides to taking work off someone who had a contract with the company. I have also seen companies have contracts ripped up when they have adhered to all within, the contract.

Seems like one of those u can invest and have carpet pulled from under your feet.

8weekly

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 05:11:15 pm »

IMO nobody needs a franchise. 
That's true. But equally not everybody has the skill or courage to build a £40k turnover round. Hence for some people a franchise is a goos solution.

C o z y

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 05:13:25 pm »

IMO nobody needs a franchise.  Just get a smart van with a smart system and go out knock on some doors, deliver some flyers and get the business for yourself.

Unlike McDonalds, Subway, or Burger King, there just doesn't exist a window cleaning brand that is recognisable to customers.  If there was, then maybe a franchise would be worthwhile, but there isn't.  No customer will go "ah its Joe Bloggs Window Cleaning, Ive heard of them, they're good"

Just get out there and do it yourself.  Fanchises for window cleaning are a pure waste of money IMO

Bit more to it than that mate. You've got a point though. All some of us do is, knock doors, clean and knock doors again. Repeat until you have enough work etc. However, a franchise is a ready to run income. No re-inventing the wheel and wasting time getting yourself organised, plus, someone to help you get through the hard bits etc.
I love doorknocking and contact with people, even Man Utd fans if I have too. Some people though, have two left hands, and fear of rejection when knocking doors. A franchise takes out 95% of the pain of starting on your own.

This doesn't apply to Chelsea or Man City fans though. They should have to work all of it on their own, and run on 70% tax.

HTH  ;D
No still don't understand, I must be thick

PoleKing

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 05:38:55 pm »

Bit more to it than that mate. You've got a point though. All some of us do is, knock doors, clean and knock doors again. Repeat until you have enough work etc. However, a franchise is a ready to run income. No re-inventing the wheel and wasting time getting yourself organised, plus, someone to help you get through the hard bits etc.
I love doorknocking and contact with people, even Man Utd fans if I have too. Some people though, have two left hands, and fear of rejection when knocking doors. A franchise takes out 95% of the pain of starting on your own.

This doesn't apply to Chelsea or Man City fans though. They should have to work all of it on their own, and run on 70% tax.

HTH  ;D

Leave the city fans alone Cizy.
They've had a tough afternoon. ;D
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

davids3511

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 08:04:04 pm »

Self respect? What a total joke. I have two guys and both think their lives changed for the better when they bought from me. One went from 60 hours a week on minimum wage to 30 hours a week and earns SUBSTANTIALLY more then he used to. He could not have done both jobs at the same time so without me, how could he have built a round so fast so that he could keep paying the mortgage? The second one started part time on the 10th March and already has over 1k a month in new business.

I know you'll say door knock but after a 60 hour week that's going to take forever. I wouldn't do it if I though I was taking advantage of people. I see it as I am helping them by using my skill that they just don't have themselves.

roundbuilder

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 08:18:49 pm »
I too cant get my head around a window cleaning franchise id love a subway or mcdonalds franchise as custom will always come to you but as for windows its more limited, id never trust anyone enough to not do me over so window cleaning franchise isnt for me.
Vince seems to know his stuff as does ian lancaster, im sure ian will give a decent understanding reply to the question.

8weekly

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 08:20:55 pm »
I too cant get my head around a window cleaning franchise id love a subway or mcdonalds franchise as custom will always come to you but as for windows its more limited, id never trust anyone enough to not do me over so window cleaning franchise isnt for me.
Vince seems to know his stuff as does ian lancaster, im sure ian will give a decent understanding reply to the question.
As I understand it, the work comes to the franchisee in this case too. Otherwise, like you say, what's the point.

Dave Willis

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 08:29:51 pm »
You need to turn your arguments around chaps and look at it from the Franchisers point of view not the franchisee. Not much wrong with it at all then, in fact it's a brilliant idea.

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 08:32:02 pm »
It doesnt work, leave well alone, avoid, you will lose all your self respect. I know a guy who has gone from 42 hours a week working in a shop to earning £5k more in his first year with his window cleaning franchise and for only working 30 to 35 hours a week. OTE for his 2nd year are showning he will earn 15k more. (his round has been built up for him over his first year)
NOW, who on earth in there right mind would want to do that???

GET FRANCHISING BOB!

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 08:33:43 pm »
Dave looking at it from both angles its great.

CasaDeCabra

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 08:37:33 pm »
Why are people so narrow minded and completely unable to understand that some people are happy being a franchisee.

I'm one, in fact Vin's first one.

To be honest over the last year or so this topic comes up every now and then and the same people start up with the "why would you do that" and "The true cost is your self respect" b******s. There are a myriad of reasons why I chose this route as opposed to doing it all myself. To be honest the only one that matters is that my wife would have had kittens if I told I was doing it on my own.

Obviously as I have no self respect I should have stayed working for a mobile phone company traveling from Southampton to Poole everyday, that's the way to respect yourself....

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2014, 08:40:08 pm »
Why are people so narrow minded and completely unable to understand that some people are happy being a franchisee.

To be honest over the last year or so this topic comes up every now and then and the same people start up with the "why would you do that" and "The true cost is your self respect" b******s. There are a myriad of reasons why I chose this route as opposed to doing it all myself. To be honest the only one that matters is that my wife would have had kittens if I told I was doing it on my own.

Obviously as I have no self respect I should have stayed working for a mobile phone company traveling from Southampton to Poole everyday, that's the way to respect yourself....

Well said that man. Glad its all going well!!

C o z y

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 08:43:30 pm »

Good post, made your point IMO.
No still don't understand, I must be thick

HampshireWindowCleaning

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2014, 09:03:45 pm »

What about the fact that if you had done it yourself you would be earning 20% more per year doing the same hours, I think this is the bit that people including myself struggle to understand so please explain.

Dave Willis

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2014, 09:19:39 pm »
Earning a living wage from day one is probably the main attraction - guaranteed income. I didn't do it and couldn't afford to do it but there are advantages.

Probably no worse than buying a round.