trippyboy

Lpg van insurance
« on: February 17, 2017, 08:57:09 pm »
My insurance is up for renewal in March, Swinton who iam with now couldn't find a company to cover me for the lpg for my renewal, even though iam currently  covered for Lpg.
Anyone recommend an insurance company that will cover lpg and water heater at a reasonable rate?

Frankybadboy

Re: Lpg van insurance
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 09:27:51 pm »
come on trippy do you think anyone tells there insurance  ;)

trippyboy

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 09:49:29 pm »
Yep i did 3 months ago it cost me £25.00 fee.
If you have an accident without mentioning your carry lpg they aint gonna pay out are they?

Dave Willis

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 10:46:56 pm »
Imagine how much Dazmond is going to lose if his van goes up in flames!

DaveG

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 06:57:51 am »
Come on, all you L5/L8/Fastar users, who are you insured with?
You can't polish a turd

Jonny 87

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 08:31:38 am »
Unless you have it in WRITING from your insurance company that;

1) You are covered to operate the LPG shower heater outside of the manufacturers instructions
(inside a vehicle)

&

2) That you are also covered to operate the heater while you are away from the vehicle and out of eyesight,

Then I would highly doubt anyone is truly covered by their insurance. I used one for a few years but I was aware that I'm working outside my insurance and if my van caught fire I'd be in serious problems with my insurance.

A lot of the time people think they are covered because they have notified the insurance they are carrying a gas bottle, but that's only part of it.

Try getting them to put in writing that you are covered for the above 2 points and you will see them run a mile.

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

trippyboy

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 08:46:23 am »
Unless you have it in WRITING from your insurance company that;

1) You are covered to operate the LPG shower heater outside of the manufacturers instructions
(inside a vehicle)

&

2) That you are also covered to operate the heater while you are away from the vehicle and out of eyesight,

Then I would highly doubt anyone is truly covered by their insurance. I used one for a few years but I was aware that I'm working outside my insurance and if my van caught fire I'd be in serious problems with my insurance.

A lot of the time people think they are covered because they have notified the insurance they are carrying a gas bottle, but that's only part of it.

Try getting them to put in writing that you are covered for the above 2 points and you will see them run a mile.
There must be a company who will cover this , its no different from owning a camper van is it

Lee GLS

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 09:54:39 am »
I know Aviva do cover lpg, I am with more than business and they cover.

In the past i have been insured with Aplan and flux direct and the both covered lpg

Splash & dash

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 11:49:59 am »
Most company's will want to see a gas safe safety installation certificate type of thing , unless you explain exactly what you are using it for and how it works most think you are like a plumber and just carrying a cylinder in the van not using it for a portable shower unit that's mounted in the van , again you MUST HAVE AN EXTERNAL EXAHUST TO CARRY FUMES OUTOF THE VAN , leaving the rear doors open isn't sufficient ventilation , this is all basic stuff just ask a gas safe installer they would not be allowed to fit it or Evan work on it unless it's fitted in this way , Ime in the fire service and have been out to a number of properties that people have been poisoned and some have Evan died as a result , it's just a matter of time before it happens to someone in a vehicle , don't risk your life just for cheap hot water get it fitted properly and safely

trippyboy

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 12:27:08 pm »
Most company's will want to see a gas safe safety installation certificate type of thing , unless you explain exactly what you are using it for and how it works most think you are like a plumber and just carrying a cylinder in the van not using it for a portable shower unit that's mounted in the van , again you MUST HAVE AN EXTERNAL EXAHUST TO CARRY FUMES OUTOF THE VAN , leaving the rear doors open isn't sufficient ventilation , this is all basic stuff just ask a gas safe installer they would not be allowed to fit it or Evan work on it unless it's fitted in this way , Ime in the fire service and have been out to a number of properties that people have been poisoned and some have Evan died as a result , it's just a matter of time before it happens to someone in a vehicle , don't risk your life just for cheap hot water get it fitted properly and safely
I have an external flue fitted with mine

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 12:49:46 pm »

it doesnt matter as i only use the heater when im away from the vehicle(not sat inside it with the windows closed! ::)roll.)

leaving a rear door open is sufficient.then when its time to move the van i open both rear doors and the side doors to let any fumes escape as im putting my gear away then move on to my next job.simple.i also have a full steel bulkhead. ;)

oh i also have a carbon monoxide detector and guess what?its never gone off!your being over dramatic.using a gas heater in the van with a door open is no different to using it as an outdoor shower IMO.

obviously when your driving or actually sat in the van (having your lunch or whatever)THE HEATER AND GAS IS OFF!!

price higher/work harder!

Dave Willis

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 04:44:40 pm »
So, you are insured then Dazmond? Also does your public liability cover you on commercial property as well?

martindrz400

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 05:02:31 pm »
My insurance is no difference carrying lpg and using gas heater

Tosh

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 05:29:28 pm »
Alexander Swan they cover for LPG as well. No extra cost.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

bobplum

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 08:05:44 pm »
Alexander Swan they cover for LPG as well. No extra cost.
same for me, told them gas bottle size etc

best

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 10:42:03 pm »
I know Aviva do cover lpg, I am with more than business and they cover.

In the past i have been insured with Aplan and flux direct and the both covered lpg
Aviva refused to Insure me with lpg
Aplan  said they would insure me(through Aviva)
Both checked with underwriters

Splash & dash

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 12:32:11 am »
Leaving a door open is NOT SUFICIENT AND IS DANGEROUS you cannot see or smell carbon monoxide take it from someone who has had to deal with people that have died from it , just beacause you have an alarm doesn't automatically make it safe the fumes can be in one area and not another , you can also suffer carbon monoxide poisoning over a period of time that won't nessaseroly kill you but will make you very ill , why play with your life and anyone else who may travel in the vehicle for the cost of a flue that can be easily fitted . You are always saying how much more money you are earning each year why not do the job properly and safely , it's your life that's at steak . No gas fitter would be allowed to sighn off a job installed without a flue ., shorely that said it all , ime not exaggerating the facts I've seen it first hand sadly more than once , but I guess it's up to you

Jonny 87

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 06:40:17 am »
Guys try and get it in writing! It won't happen.

It's no good speaking to someone on the phone as 9 times out of 10 they just think you mean carrying a gas bottle. Not actually having a naked flame enclosed in the back of your van.

Look at the professional lpg installs...... they HAVE to have a flue fitted through the roof, and they HAVE to have the gas bottle secured underneath the vehicle or in a enclosed cabinet with floor vents to allow gas to escape if it leaks.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

trippyboy

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2017, 09:15:20 am »
Leaving a door open is NOT SUFICIENT AND IS DANGEROUS you cannot see or smell carbon monoxide take it from someone who has had to deal with people that have died from it , just beacause you have an alarm doesn't automatically make it safe the fumes can be in one area and not another , you can also suffer carbon monoxide poisoning over a period of time that won't nessaseroly kill you but will make you very ill , why play with your life and anyone else who may travel in the vehicle for the cost of a flue that can be easily fitted . You are always saying how much more money you are earning each year why not do the job properly and safely , it's your life that's at steak . No gas fitter would be allowed to sighn off a job installed without a flue ., shorely that said it all , ime not exaggerating the facts I've seen it first hand sadly more than once , but I guess it's up to you
i have a flue with mine i have carbon alarm in cab i have fire extinguisher  i leave back doors open have a metal bulk head and lpg stickers. Iam about to invest in a metal storage box with 4 sides and lid for the gas bottle, will also vent the floor in that storgage box so any gas will escape out of van

Tosh

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2017, 09:52:31 am »
will also vent the floor in that storgage box so any gas will escape out of van

Just cut out the beans mate, we’re talking LPG gas here not your farts.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'