mark.laycock1@ntlw

brick acid on tarmac surface
« on: December 10, 2007, 08:21:31 am »
hi all, am thinking of using brick acid on a garage floor.but outside is tarmac would it be ok to wash the floor and push the water onto the tarmac outside of the unit.
mark

Roger Oakley

Re: brick acid on tarmac surface
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 10:37:40 am »
Mark I would do a small test area first, what strenght brick acid do you intend to use?

mark.laycock1@ntlw

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 06:24:41 pm »
hi roger, am doing a garage unit soon. oil and dirt on floor and walls . but outside is tarmac just thinking if i use brick acid from b/q on the floor to remove the oil etc will it do anything to the tarmac outside.mark
mark

Roger Oakley

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 06:39:23 pm »
Mark,
Most of the big shed's "Brick Acids" with be about 18% max, might be ok on the tarmac if it is just run-off from your inside cleaning going on it as it will be diluted down with the washing, but I would still try a small test area, say the size on a 10 pence, drop a spot of the brick acid neat in an out the way area on the tarmac, see what happens, at a guess it will fizz up real quick, just be ready to wash it of very quicky, then see if it has marked it, there not really any other way I can think of to test this. If there is no marking from the neat stuff then at a guess you should be ok with the diluted run-off acid, but again that care.

Jake

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 09:22:44 pm »
Mark

Are you saying you are going to use brick acid to remove oil and dirt ?

If so, I think you'll be wasting your time mate
Exeter, Devon

mark.laycock1@ntlw

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 09:46:15 pm »
hi jake, i have oil to remove .then clean the uint which is dirty.i have heard brick acid will get the floor clean.mark
mark

John Kelly

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 10:24:32 pm »
Brick acid is designed to break down cement mortar. Primarily to remove it from brickwork. I think you would be wasting your time using on an oil stained concrete floor. Use a decent detergent based product which will do the job easier and safer. Just flush it off the Tarmac area before it has a chance to soften it.

mark.laycock1@ntlw

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 07:59:38 am »
what would you reconmeend .for a good cleaner.
mark

Roger Oakley

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 04:52:22 pm »
Mark,
For the oil I would use Tech-Cleans degreaser, but you would have to watch your run-off  as it will eat into the tarmac as it is Xylene based.