CLEAN & SHINE NW

how do you get your website on first page on google?
« on: May 13, 2010, 11:34:02 pm »
Hi everyone,

I have got a question:  How do you get your website on first page on Google?
That is very important in my opinion.
I will try a few techniques and I will let you know if something is working.
www.cleanandshinenw.co.uk
We CLEAN ...Your home SHINEs!

CLEAN & SHINE NW

Re: how do you get your website on first page on google?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 10:47:45 am »
Any ideas?

Than have a look on that one:
Optimizing the keywords and the sourcecode and trying to make other webmasters link to your site. OR simply buying some Google 'Sponsored Links'. OR buying so many Google shares that you own the majority of the shares, and so deciding who gets the first positions yourself.

martin19842

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 12:04:28 pm »
hi there

it appears that your site isnt ranked at al by google at the present,i could be wrong, but when you site:www.cleanandshinenw.co.uk in a google search window, it doesnt show any knowledge of the pages of your site.

you firstly need to go into google account settings,

submit your site, and also point google to the sitemap.

google will then give you a line of code to cut and paste into the site, so that the google bot will be able to confirm that it is your website.

your google account will then report back to you whether the site is confirmed.

once then, you can then start to build organic page ranking.

a lot of people say that sponsored listings ie google adwords, is not the best way to go, and that it is stated that people looking at google do not ring adwords, i do not generally agree with that thought process, as from £1500 of google adwords in a 12 month period i have picked up in excess of £80k worth of business.

good luck

regards

martin

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 02:07:12 pm »
Hi everyone,

I have got a question:  How do you get your website on first page on Google?
That is very important in my opinion.
I will try a few techniques and I will let you know if something is working.
www.cleanandshinenw.co.uk

Vistaprint sites are hard to get ranked high in my experience. I'd recommend getting proper hosting firstly.

Then you have to fix your spelling & meta tags,.. these especially:
    <meta name="generator" content="VistaPrint SiteBuilder v21.5">
    <meta name="description" content="Clean &amp; Shine NW is a local family based company in Chester and we have been in business for 3 years. Over this time we have worked very hard to build up a reputation supplying a high quality service at fantastic prices. We cover Chester areas on a daily basis. We are specializing in office and restaurant cleaning, pubs, banks, doctors surgeries, wash rooms, computer cleaning and communal areas and property services. All of our staff are uniformed, fully insured and trained.

">
    <meta name="keywords" content="Cleaning services Chester, Clean &amp; Shine NW  .We Clean.... Yuor home Shines! carpet clean, domestic clean, office clean, one off spring cleans, ">

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 02:15:39 pm »
Out of interest,.. what does a Vistaprint site cost these days?

Blast Off Stoke

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 04:23:23 pm »
i remember when i got my website published it took about 6-8 weeks before it was shown in any google rankings.
Form my little knowledge of it, search engines like lots of links leading to your site which the 'spiders' pick up information from when google searches the web.
Another thing is search engines also like regular updates of your site.

On a slightly different subject I have got my hosting through microsoft office live which I paid £10 for about 2 years ago and havent paid anything else since and is quite easy to work with although is limited when it come to layout options.

garry22

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 05:46:29 pm »
Vistaprint sites are hard to get ranked high in my experience. I'd recommend getting proper hosting firstly

Nathaniel,

That's an interesting comment. What do you mean exactly?

Are Vistaprint sites on subdomains or something out of the ordinary?

Garry

garry22

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 05:58:24 pm »
C & S,

Martin is right.

Your site has not been indexed yet let alone ranked. I've put your URL and this page's URL  into what is called a pinger and sent it to the search engines. It may get picked up a bit quicker (it should follow your link from here).

You will need to make a few adjustments (see Nathaniel's comments) particularly with your page titles.

If you can add pages, you need to add a file called xml sitemap and submit that to Google (much easier than it sounds).

You should then be one the first rung of the ladder.

Hope that helps, best of luck

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 07:13:52 pm »
Vistaprint sites are hard to get ranked high in my experience. I'd recommend getting proper hosting firstly

Nathaniel,

That's an interesting comment. What do you mean exactly?

Are Vistaprint sites on subdomains or something out of the ordinary?

Garry

I'm not sure why its this way, but it has been suggested that Google penalises the rankings of vistaprint & office live websites slightly. I'm guessing its more their attitude that a big professional company wouldn't be using these services for their web presence so they mustn't be as important.

Its not impossible (sometimes not even hard) to get a vistaprint site high in google,.. it just seems to be easier with dedicated hosting in my experience.

I'm not an SEO guru btw, I know enough to get by, but I'm constantly learning. Most of my sites rank very well though, so have a look at the source code of a few & borrow the best bits if you want. www.avondhu-internet.com has my favourite creations listed.

CLEAN & SHINE NW

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 01:50:26 pm »
C & S,

Martin is right.

Your site has not been indexed yet let alone ranked. I've put your URL and this page's URL  into what is called a pinger and sent it to the search engines. It may get picked up a bit quicker (it should follow your link from here).

You will need to make a few adjustments (see Nathaniel's comments) particularly with your page titles.

If you can add pages, you need to add a file called xml sitemap and submit that to Google (much easier than it sounds).

Hope that helps, best of luck

Then you have to fix your spelling & meta tags,.. these especially:
    <meta name="generator" content="VistaPrint SiteBuilder v21.5">
    <meta name="description" content="Clean &amp; Shine NW is a local family based company in Chester and we have been in business for 3 years. Over this time we have worked very hard to build up a reputation supplying a high quality service at fantastic prices. We cover Chester areas on a daily basis. We are specializing in office and restaurant cleaning, pubs, banks, doctors surgeries, wash rooms, computer cleaning and communal areas and property services. All of our staff are uniformed, fully insured and trained.

">
    <meta name="keywords" content="Cleaning services Chester, Clean &amp; Shine NW  .We Clean.... Yuor home Shines! carpet clean, domestic clean, office clean, one off spring cleans, ">
Posted by: martin19842    Posted on: Yesterday at 12:04:28pm

Thank you everyone ,
I really appreciate  all this advises , but I am not sure how to do it  ???
Any one wants to guide me or explain with a bit more details?
thank you

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 02:27:42 pm »
Here are the tags from a site I built that ranks very well,.. just change the names & places to suit your business. The best keywords are taken from your onpage text, so if you notice a word that you think should be in your meta tags but isn't on the page, you may need to re-write some of your website.
Its also worth noting that you should never use identical tags on multiple pages.

<title>Welcome to Fleetwood Window Cleaning Services website ¦ Servicing Commercial and Residential Clients in Fleetwood &amp; Blackpool </title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<meta name="verify-v1" content="1HZ4pNX6eMykZYGQZ8oIEC2CCAUHTqvc07ePirAiCCo=" />
<meta name="description" content="Fleetwood Window Cleaning Services. Window cleaning services for commercial, industrial and residential clients." />
<meta name="keywords" content="Window cleaning in Fleetwood, window cleaning, window cleaners, Window cleaner, window, washing, cleaning, cleaner, WFP, water fed pole, pole, pole system, reach and wash, Reach and wash window cleaning, pure water window cleaning, pure water, pure, Fleetwood, fy7 , Thornton, fy6 , Cleveleys, fy5 , Poulton, Fylde, Blackpool, fy4, fy1, fy2, fy3, North, Shore, Central, South Shore, Marton, St Annes, fy8, Ansdell, Lytham, Wyre,Over Wyre, Bispham." />
<meta name="abstract" content="We provide quality, cost effective and efficient hi-level window cleaning services in the Fleetwood area." />
<meta name="expires" content="Never" />
<meta name="subject" content="Window cleaning services" />
<meta name="category" content="Window cleaning services" />
<meta name="rating" content="General" />
<meta name="language" content="en" />
<meta name="distribution" content="Local" />

<meta name="author" content="Avondhu Internet Services. http://www.avondhu-internet.com" />
<meta name="copyright" content="Copyright Fleetwood Window Cleaning Services" />
<meta name="revisit" content="5 Days" />   
<meta name="robots" content="index, follow" />
<meta name="googlebot" content="yes" />

Now Google "fleetwood window cleaning"  ;D

Daria Taylor

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 02:49:25 pm »
Here are the tags from a site I built that ranks very well,.. just change the names & places to suit your business. The best keywords are taken from your onpage text, so if you notice a word that you think should be in your meta tags but isn't on the page, you may need to re-write some of your website.
Its also worth noting that you should never use identical tags on multiple pages.

<title>Welcome to Fleetwood Window Cleaning Services website ¦ Servicing Commercial and Residential Clients in Fleetwood &amp; Blackpool </title>
<meta name="verify-v1" content="1HZ4pNX6eMykZYGQZ8oIEC2CCAUHTqvc07ePirAiCCo=" />
<meta name="description" content="Fleetwood Window Cleaning Services. Window cleaning services for commercial, industrial and residential clients." />
<meta name="keywords" content="Window cleaning in Fleetwood, window cleaning, window cleaners, Window cleaner, window, washing, cleaning, cleaner, WFP, water fed pole, pole, pole system, reach and wash, Reach and wash window cleaning, pure water window cleaning, pure water, pure, Fleetwood, fy7 , Thornton, fy6 , Cleveleys, fy5 , Poulton, Fylde, Blackpool, fy4, fy1, fy2, fy3, North, Shore, Central, South Shore, Marton, St Annes, fy8, Ansdell, Lytham, Wyre,Over Wyre, Bispham." />
<meta name="abstract" content="We provide quality, cost effective and efficient hi-level window cleaning services in the Fleetwood area." />
<meta name="expires" content="Never" />
<meta name="subject" content="Window cleaning services" />
<meta name="category" content="Window cleaning services" />
<meta name="rating" content="General" />
<meta name="language" content="en" />
<meta name="distribution" content="Local" />

<meta name="author" content="Avondhu Internet Services. http://www.avondhu-internet.com" />
<meta name="copyright" content="Copyright Fleetwood Window Cleaning Services" />
<meta name="revisit" content="5 Days" />   
<meta name="robots" content="index, follow" />
<meta name="googlebot" content="yes" />

Now Google "fleetwood window cleaning"  ;D

Nathanael,

Do keywords still work for google? because i though they banned them and they are no longer used?

many thanks

dash t

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 03:10:38 pm »
Keywords no longer have the same impact as they used to, but they shouldn't be ignored. Even if google ignores them, other search engines won't.

Other important places where keywords should be used are page titles and image alt tags.

Daria Taylor

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 03:17:04 pm »
Keywords no longer have the same impact as they used to, but they shouldn't be ignored. Even if google ignores them, other search engines won't.

Other important places where keywords should be used are page titles and image alt tags.

Ok thanks for your help.

dash t

Adam P

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 07:28:30 pm »
meta tags are hardly used by google, if ever used any more as they were spammed too much and became pointless. as someone said other search engines may still use them but it's becoming less and less, and really is the least important part of a page any way.

submitting a sitemap to google doesn't help seo one bit, it just helps big sites be read better by google so they don't miss a page that isn't linked to very well. not really worth the time if your site is 4/5 pages.

if it was that easy everyone would be doing it (which they did but many years ago) so it's no longer just a case of do a couple of things and that's it, unless you have an uncompetitive keyword and location, but something like carpet cleaning in london will take a lot of time to get it up there.

best things to do imo that you can do right now are:

improve title tag to include your location, but don't over use this, e.g. don't put carpet cleaning in guildford, woking, farnrbough, aldershot, godalming, hook, south london, north london, east london, west london, surrey, uk.

have a good amount of words for your location and don't forge the towns around your main one, e.g. i'm in guildford, but i try to have the keywords woking, godalming, farnham etc around the place so we are relevant to those towns.

don't do anything that seems un-natural. peopel say link swap, but for what reason? it's only to increase seo, so why would google like that? they want better information for their users, not higher results for the websites they link to..

then you need to get links, and lots of them. you'll need to have a presence on the internet and get links with the anchor text as your keywords, e.g. guildford cleaners, and the links need to be on sites that are indexed by google (this forum afaik is not as you have to sign up to view it, so links on this site are pointless) and links that aren't set to nofollow (very important)

can post more later but it's diner time. hope this helps

Daria Taylor

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 11:20:45 pm »
meta tags are hardly used by google, if ever used any more as they were spammed too much and became pointless. as someone said other search engines may still use them but it's becoming less and less, and really is the least important part of a page any way.

submitting a sitemap to google doesn't help seo one bit, it just helps big sites be read better by google so they don't miss a page that isn't linked to very well. not really worth the time if your site is 4/5 pages.

if it was that easy everyone would be doing it (which they did but many years ago) so it's no longer just a case of do a couple of things and that's it, unless you have an uncompetitive keyword and location, but something like carpet cleaning in london will take a lot of time to get it up there.

best things to do imo that you can do right now are:

improve title tag to include your location, but don't over use this, e.g. don't put carpet cleaning in guildford, woking, farnrbough, aldershot, godalming, hook, south london, north london, east london, west london, surrey, uk.

have a good amount of words for your location and don't forge the towns around your main one, e.g. i'm in guildford, but i try to have the keywords woking, godalming, farnham etc around the place so we are relevant to those towns.

don't do anything that seems un-natural. peopel say link swap, but for what reason? it's only to increase seo, so why would google like that? they want better information for their users, not higher results for the websites they link to..

then you need to get links, and lots of them. you'll need to have a presence on the internet and get links with the anchor text as your keywords, e.g. guildford cleaners, and the links need to be on sites that are indexed by google (this forum afaik is not as you have to sign up to view it, so links on this site are pointless) and links that aren't set to nofollow (very important)

can post more later but it's diner time. hope this helps

great advice there, however i have a question, which websites would you suggest to use for links building etc, i seem to have cracked everything else but this has proven to be hard. Any ideas? I've started doing a blog, plus post on few other websites but other than that i have really struggled.

If you want e-mail me directly daria-taylor@live.co.uk any help is really appreciated.

many thanks
dash t

Adam P

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 11:48:17 pm »
first just want to say don't worry about quoting me fully if my post is directly above yours, just clutters up the page with repeated conent :)

on topic: any site that is relevant to what you do either by location, or even better by service is good. e.g. links from cleaning websites are more important then links from sites that are in your town, all help but know what you should spend more time on.

the best way i've found is to find blogs i am actually interested in and become an active member. regularly return and have something to add to the conversation.

if you use firefox browser then install this add on and get it to highlight no follow links. any link will then have a red background and you can see if the site you're posting on is worth too much of your time. even if it's no follow it's still worth time posting if you have something to add, but if you spend a few hours a week looking for links then you wont to know which are working at improving your seo. a good example is twitter, people post links on twitter thinking it's another link to their site, however they're all nofollow so useless for increasing serp, the use of twitter/facebook is to get visitors from it, not for seo.

this add on will also tell you the current page's page rank, so helping you decide if a site is really helping you, or only a little. REMEMBER that the page rank displayed is specific to each page, so this page has a pagerank of 0, but the site has a page rank of 2/10. the higher the better. it's also worth remember that you may find a site that has a pagerank of say 8 and try getting links from it, however the page you get linked from is actually only pagerank 1 so not as useful as you may have first thought. pagerank is updated approx every 4 months (think it just happened beginning of april) so although you may be doing a lot of work, don't expect the pagerank to jump up straight away. the effects of the link building etc are updated pretty quick though. pagerank doesn't completely effect your serp so also don't get down if your site only has a pr of 0, and competition of say 3, as google may think of you as more relevent to that specific keyword.

there isn't really a specific site i'd say to post comments on. my best way is say i have an issue, like i want to know how to clean stainless steel, i'll google it, find a blog with the answer, then post on that blog. bookmark it, then check back say once a week for new articles and any you can post comments on. if it gets lots of spammy comments then it's not so good as the pagerank that it gives out is split between every site it links to.

one thing you may read is it's more important to get links from as many different sites then lots of links but from only a few sites. i think this is an old style and is going to become less and less useful as google update their search engine (which they just recently have). as said before, if you're doing something that feels 'un-natural', then google probably wont like it. 1000 links from 1000 sites seems more spammy to me then 1000 links from 100 sites.

think i may have rambled on a little too long and posted too much. if i've not explained something enough please feel free to ask more about it. i've posted here rather then email as then others can see my advice :)

edit: keep at it. may seem confusing now but eventually it'll just click and you'll be an expect at link building. it's not rocket surgery, it's just simply knowing how to find good sites and how to filter out the rubbish.

CLEAN & SHINE NW

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 09:14:05 am »
Thank you very much for all that. I will try to do it and I am sure it will work. I am sure and the other users will benefit from above posts. :)

garry22

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 09:56:00 am »
You should then be one the first rung of the ladder

First step on a very long ladder. xml sitemaps are normally crawled in 24 hours or so.

I was talking purely about the first step (indexing).

best of luck with the discussion.

Daria Taylor

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 12:39:47 pm »
Adam,

Thanks for such a great post, I understood few things and installed the required software, however I just wanted to ask if you could explain the Alexa rank a little more in depth as I’m not sure what it means etc, so I would really appreciate if you could educate me more on the matter.

So i can start my journey of link bulding  ???

many thanks
dash t

Adam P

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2010, 12:52:38 pm »
don't pay attention to alexa ranking, it's too easily improved by doing very little and google (or any search engine i know of) doesn't use it so not worth worrying about.

more information about alexa ranking

Daria Taylor

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2010, 01:12:13 pm »
don't pay attention to alexa ranking, it's too easily improved by doing very little and google (or any search engine i know of) doesn't use it so not worth worrying about.

more information about alexa ranking

ok thats good then, well I best get on with link building, i'm off sick so i have plenty of time on my hand to do it.

are you on linked in? i know few people said it works well for them in terms of getting business. I found it good in terms of getting names of people in charge of the company so i can send them direct introduction letters.

and another question is this site and blogger are good for link building or are the nofollow links?

many thanks
dash t