Martin-Swinscoe

Leaflet in a Bus shelter
« on: November 13, 2008, 06:54:28 pm »
Due to the weather today i did a bit of canvassing in and around town today. the rains started to come down heavy when i took shelter in a rather busy bus shelter. Once the bus came and went and with the shelter now empty. I left a flyer wedged behind a No smoking sign.
thought nothing more of it got home and blow me i had two messages on the answerphone from people who saw my flyer...
Off to price up the jobs tommorrow ;D

NWH

Re: Leaflet in a Bus shelter
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 07:08:35 pm »
What kind of customer do you think that will get you,not being funny but people who catch the bus can`t afford a window cleaner.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 07:28:54 pm »
What kind of customer do you think that will get you,not being funny but people who catch the bus can`t afford a window cleaner.

I was thinking the exact same thing..

I might leave mine at local golf clubs and post restaurants :P

Good luck for the quotes thou!

DaveG

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 07:29:36 pm »
Due to the weather today i did a bit of canvassing in and around town today. the rains started to come down heavy when i took shelter in a rather busy bus shelter. Once the bus came and went and with the shelter now empty. I left a flyer wedged behind a No smoking sign.
thought nothing more of it got home and blow me i had two messages on the answerphone from people who saw my flyer...
Off to price up the jobs tommorrow ;D

Good idea mate hope it works out
You can't polish a turd

geefree

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 07:38:39 pm »
Yes, lots of people who start a young family and set up home, cannot afford a car, so a bus is the cheapest transport available to them.

Also, lot of pensioners get buses, and they are some of the best payers... and always in to pay.

It also depends on the area the bus shelter is in. its hardly worth putting out a flyer , in a bus shelter...in the roughest area in town.

All in all, its a good idea.. as long as its the right area.

;)

sherco

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 07:42:51 pm »
I drive a vauxhall combo van, but i have a Ferrari in garage at home...Don't judge a book by its cover. (got Ferrari buying and selling property)
Natural stone floor restoration service.
Natural stone fixing and repairs.
www.poshstonefloors.co.uk

MNWC

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 07:46:40 pm »
why are you cleaning windows then

NWH

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 07:50:57 pm »
I drive a vauxhall combo van, but i have a Ferrari in garage at home...Don't judge a book by its cover. (got Ferrari buying and selling property)
How many well off people do you know who catch the bus unless there catching it out of the city to get in there car.

sherco

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 07:51:50 pm »
I'm not, i do stone floor cleaning and natural stone restoration work, and just started a carpet cleaning buisness in my area as there it potential to start a very good buisness, still need to pay the bills.
Natural stone floor restoration service.
Natural stone fixing and repairs.
www.poshstonefloors.co.uk

geefree

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 07:56:11 pm »

How many well off people do you know who catch the bus unless there catching it out of the city to get in there car.

there you go then... may as well advertise to them  too......as well as the "poorer"... people..... you dont have to be well off to have your windows cleaned..... now an extension built....maybe.

Trotsky

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 08:12:02 pm »
 :o wow such snobbery from a "ever so humble window cleaner"
Rich or poor their money's the same!
I've only lost a so-called "rich" customer, so far due to the "credit-crunch"! ;)

I do remember a thread on here about a year ago, someone mentioned a millionaire living on a Council estate, Why?
Because his mother (elderly) lived there all her life and refused to move... He bought both the houses each side of her!
As already stated, "don't judge a book by it's cover"! ;) :P

NWH

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 08:14:09 pm »
Trotsky you`ve just proved my point,money can`t buy you class lol. ;D ;D ;D

Steve CM

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 08:14:39 pm »
his mother (elderly) lived there all her life and refused to move... He bought both the houses each side of her!

to me that just says that money doesn't buy class!  ;) ;D

Steve CM

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 08:15:07 pm »
snap! ;)

NWH

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 08:15:40 pm »
Look at my post above,talk about great minds and all that.

geefree

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 08:31:49 pm »
But all money , pays a window cleaner,  regardless of class  ;D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 09:16:06 pm »
Certainly bus users can afford window cleaners.

Here in Bristol the A4 Park and Ride goes through one of the poshest parts of Bristol. The ladies' of the house will often use the bus to get to "town" to do their shopping at Harvey Nicks, The Cabot shopping centre, Waitrose etc.

In a previous life I sold word processors and we were on a Canon (camera's and photocopiers) battle bus all kitted out with office equipment to sell parked in the centre of County Hall car park in Trowbridge.

We would show off our wares to council officials, solicitors etc and made good sales.

Right at the end of the day in the gloom of a December evening a funny little guy cycled up on his shopper cycle and climbed on board.

We were packing up but I drew the short straw, gave him a cup of tea and showed off this £2000 word processor. Turned out he was the buyer for the whole of social services for Wiltshire and he bought 50 of them over the next two years with maintenance and supplies contracts.

This one deal made me £12,000 in commission in 1986/7.

So I certainly wouldn't judge a book by it's cover!
It's a game of three halves!

elite mike

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 09:22:33 pm »

hi malc

why are you a window cleaner ;D ;D ;D

lovewindows

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 09:27:17 pm »
What are half of you lot on about !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IT WORKED DIDN'T IT
dont look who's to blame, look how to fix it. anon

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 09:35:13 pm »
IT WORKED DIDN'T IT

Yea, exactly, there are so many possibilities that could pan out from one call, theyre endless. Its comical to think that he's been derided for his efforts.

Anyway, its generally one or two blinkered individuals, same ones generally. Easier to ignore them than respond.

I sometimes think Merson still comes on here as one of those high post-count
blinkered posters  ;D

geefree

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 09:45:01 pm »
Ive got a high post count.. :'( :'( :'( :'(

but i was on his side  :'(

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 09:50:52 pm »
 ;D your not blinkered Gazza are ya?   ;D

geefree

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2008, 09:51:43 pm »
Hope not.... Blinking mad tho  ;D ;D

Martin-Swinscoe

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2008, 11:03:16 pm »
IT WORKED DIDN'T IT

Yea, exactly, there are so many possibilities that could pan out from one call, theyre endless. Its comical to think that he's been derided for his efforts.

Anyway, its generally one or two blinkered individuals, same ones generally. Easier to ignore them than respond.

I sometimes think Merson still comes on here as one of those high post-count
blinkered posters  ;D

i'll let everyone know tomorrow how much i quoted for the two houses, and to be honest i couldn't give a damn about what the doubters say.
if you don't buy a ticket you never win the raffle ;)

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2008, 11:04:22 pm »
Thats exactly the right attitude, good luck.

Matt

gary999

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2008, 08:49:49 am »
some people dont half talk some crap on here,bus users cant afford
window cleaners ::) what about the commuters a lot of people round the
birmingham area use the buses and trains to commute to work a lot
of the time its easier than being stressed out stuck in traffic whilst driving

fair play to you mate it worked ignore the anally retentive! :)

bwoofie

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2008, 01:26:55 pm »
Fair play martin! even if the 2 customers want their windows cleaning once, well fair enough, you earned their money! Dont matter where money comes from- its all spendable.If you spotted a tenner on the floor you would still pick it up wouldnt you? ;D

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2008, 01:34:02 pm »
It's often the case that you get some of the best work via leaflets.
When I first set up 5 years ago I canvassed with leaflets. Left one with a smallish house, the owner of which worked at an Accountants, got the accountants, from the accountants got a block of flats, from that block of flats got another one, and another and another, all in all £800 per month of work that I still do now, from one leaflet left in the right place.
It's numbers game, buy thousands of leaflets and put them everywhere

Martin-Swinscoe

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2008, 02:39:10 pm »
It's often the case that you get some of the best work via leaflets.
When I first set up 5 years ago I canvassed with leaflets. Left one with a smallish house, the owner of which worked at an Accountants, got the accountants, from the accountants got a block of flats, from that block of flats got another one, and another and another, all in all £800 per month of work that I still do now, from one leaflet left in the right place.
It's numbers game, buy thousands of leaflets and put them everywhere
Well i went round to price the jobs up got them both at £8 and £13 every month  ;D
If i hadn't had put that leaflet there and thank the lord for a rainy day i wouldn't have been able to stop out tonight and have another 4 or 5 drinks for me and the good lady ;)
ps drove past the bus stop today and noticed my leaflet was still on the window ;)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2008, 05:33:22 pm »

hi malc

why are you a window cleaner ;D ;D ;D

Good question - because I sold word processors and the stuff I sold "grew" out of typewriters but nowadays everything including word processing is doable by any PC or network. Basically the market died by the 1990's.

Also selling is high pressure (for me) (at 30 I was 17 stones of flab driving around my patch in my company Vauxhall Carlton and I'm sure I would have heart disease and diabetes by now if I'd carried on) and I'm much happier being self employed and fitter for it.

It's a game of three halves!

JSMC

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2008, 05:36:45 pm »

what a poor comment. do you think you are better than people who use public transport?

geefree

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2008, 05:39:56 pm »
Thats like saying , what kind of customer woukd you get if you advertised in thompson local, yellow pages.. the internet.... the list goes on...... but i thought it was a cracking idea... and it certainly worked for him..... best of luck i say... and well done!!!..

;D ;D ;D

tacky

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2008, 10:31:31 pm »
well done martin.iv advertised in yellow pages .90 quid .no luck so far .

sageorgeta

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2008, 08:24:32 am »

What a load of rubbish.
Many people nowadays use public transport systems rather than use their own vehicles out of choice.
Most OAP'S use buses as they get their bus passes and want to make use of them,and pensioners are imo the best and most loyal customers i have on my rounds.
Yet another case of someone talking out of his backside...yet should we be surprised,this is CIU.

karygate

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2008, 09:14:08 am »
just to reply to post. some firms round here put flyers on lamp posts etc. can you not get into trouble for this.
gary