peekeclean

medium bristle brushes
« on: July 19, 2008, 06:48:01 pm »
Am i the only one who likes a medium bristle brush??
I use a lightweight hygiene salmon brush mono but iv tryed both vikan brushes and find them to soft so why do people go for them?
am i missing out on something? i might be to fussy but i like to know that iv got some good scrubbing power with me.
And would this affect rinsing on the glass as i carnt do that for love nor money.

any help please?

joe

peekeclean

Re: medium bristle brushes
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 12:49:13 pm »
Who likes the soft brush then and why??

anyone.

dmlservices

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 01:46:56 pm »
hi
i also use the same brush , what system do you use, and what flow rate? , as this will determine to a certain extent what finish you get rinsing brush on . also how many times have the windows been cleaned , as i always rinse brush of on initial cleans - only rinsing brush on once i have windows up to scratch . having said that some windows -but not that many, need to rinsed brush of , you get a feel for it after a while. also brush angle plays a part , i set mine so dirty water runs to back of brissels , and not back on to window.
daz

darragh windows

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 03:08:01 pm »
Am i the only one who likes a medium bristle brush??
I use a lightweight hygiene salmon brush mono but iv tryed both vikan brushes and find them to soft so why do people go for them?
am i missing out on something? i might be to fussy but i like to know that iv got some good scrubbing power with me.
And would this affect rinsing on the glass as i carnt do that for love nor money.

any help please?

joe

vikan do a medium mono to thats what i use rectangle or oval
jamie

peekeclean

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 03:11:31 pm »
hi i have my varistream set at 12 oclock and my brush so it all touches the glass(not angled upwards) all my windows have been done around 5 times, iv only tryed rinseing with the brush on on my own windows.

but iv seen people rines with the brush on with the red vikan and that brush was a rotter for me so how dose it work?
joe

peekeclean

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 03:13:48 pm »
hi darragh windows where do you get vikan medium mono from??

darragh windows

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 03:19:06 pm »
hi darragh windows where do you get vikan medium mono from??

i got mine from gardiners only had it about two months
jamie

darragh windows

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 03:30:00 pm »
looking on their site there it doesnt say its medium so you may need to ring to confirm but mine definitely is
jamie

mark dew

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 04:23:24 pm »
I've been using a vikan rectangular brush for the last week.
I have used vikan oval, bentley and the ionics brush before, mainly vikan oval.
My 1st impressions were of how stiff the bristles are compared to the oval. I didn't like it the 1st day but it grew on me. It gives the impression of being good for 1st cleans.
I think whatever brush you use you will learn how to get good results with it. I found the bentley (superlite) too flimsy and retired it after an unsuccessful 1st clean and re-did with oval vikan. Much better.
But i find the rectangular vikan better still, for the scrubbing power.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 11:07:03 pm »
Found the Vikan rectangular absolutely useless, the bristles are not made for window cleaning, they are too tightly packed, which traps dirt (yes the monofilament one), also the bristles heavily flick around the glass, not pleasant.

Does a good job on gutters and conservatories, but it's way too heavy.

Using an Ionics multipole brush, nice and stiff, good stuff.

Can't wait for Gardiners new brush, whenever it comes out. :)

ftp

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 11:18:35 pm »
I've found the Vikan Mono to be a good scrubber - the bristles are much shorter than a Bentley which makes it far stiffer (i can here the scrubbing) it is heavy which is why i've ground as much as i can from all the edges.

peekeclean

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 09:18:20 am »
cheers guys, but what is the big thing with soft brushes?
I carnt see them as good as a medium at getting off bird muck and when i started off with the vikan (green&red) it was way to much hard work. I never fet confident with them brushes but why do you see them in use if they are as bad as i see them why do all the wfp outlets sell them?.

NWH can not stand the red vikan and when i first tryed it i see why. But iv seen a vid on youtube with a guy rinsing brush on the glass with one and he must be doing a good job with it so what is he doing we aint?
maybe i will give them a try again.

joe

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 10:31:58 am »
I carnt see them as good as a medium at getting off bird muck and when i started off with the vikan (green&red) it was way to much hard work. I never fet confident with them brushes but why do you see them in use if they are as bad as i see them why do all the wfp outlets sell them?.

NWH can not stand the red vikan and when i first tryed it i see why. But iv seen a vid on youtube with a guy rinsing brush on the glass with one and he must be doing a good job with it so what is he doing we aint?

joe
We use red vikan's, and rinse on and off with no problems  ;)

I think it is more personal choice than anything else.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 04:51:46 pm »

joe
We use red vikan's, and rinse on and off with no problems  ;)

I think it is more personal choice than anything else.

I would agree with you, but I constantly find dirt trapped in the bristles, even with a 2lpm flowrate.  :-\  :-[

NWH

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 05:21:23 pm »
I`ll just go and get my vikan mono i think it`s down by the side of the toilet,won`t be long lol. ;D ;D ;D ;D

peekeclean

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 06:27:45 pm »
thought you would say something like that  ;D so what brush do you use then nigel?? and what do you think of medium bristle brushes?

cheers joe

NWH

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 06:43:12 pm »
Joe it should be a matter of days now when all your brush problems should be over,look at Alex Gardiners Youtube video clip,the SLX he has with him has the new brush on it.When you get the new brush from Gardiners make sure that you recycle your vikans,don`t just throw them in the bin lol. ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 06:47:53 pm »
Joe it should be a matter of days now when all your brush problems should be over,look at Alex Gardiners Youtube video clip,the SLX he has with him has the new brush on it.When you get the new brush from Gardiners make sure that you recycle your vikans,don`t just throw them in the bin lol. ;D ;D ;D
So what you are saying is you dont know how to you the vikan properly  :P
I can always give you a few lessons   ;D

NWH

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 07:02:04 pm »
Now now Ian stick to websites i`ve seen your video lol,and the vikan does a lovely job of cleaning my van.All that brush will do is make your arms ache. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :-* :-*

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 07:10:54 pm »
NWH, Monofilament brushes scratch the car remember! That's why vehicle brushes are flocked.

(not saying the Vikan isn't still a vehicle brush tho lol)

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 09:19:12 am »
Now now Ian stick to websites i`ve seen your video lol,and the vikan does a lovely job of cleaning my van.All that brush will do is make your arms ache. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :-* :-*
:o >:( :-* whats wrong with the video aprt from it being blurry, it helped a few so did its job. as for the brush I find them fine no aches using it at all, please dont tell me your a benlty fan  :-X

peekeclean

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 06:03:34 pm »
So back to the topic who uses a medium or soft brush and why, opinion on what they do for your cleaning?
And do you use the same brush on leaded windows?

cheers joe

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 06:14:42 pm »
A stiffer brush is not good for traditional leaded really, they rattle like crazy.  :-X

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 06:37:15 pm »
A stiffer brush is not good for traditional leaded really, they rattle like crazy.  :-X
they also leak like crazy also if they are traditional leaded windows, brush down only  ;)

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 07:08:55 pm »
they also leak like crazy also if they are traditional leaded windows, brush down only  ;)

Brush down only you say? Do you mean, only brush in downward strokes? Not upward? Or what do you mean? :)

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 07:16:17 pm »

Brush down only you say? Do you mean, only brush in downward strokes? Not upward? Or what do you mean? :)
wfp on trad leads I found that low flow rate very low, wipe brush downwards only top to bottom top to bottom and so on and rinse with low flow down

peekeclean

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2008, 07:37:35 pm »
Why is that then?? is that with a soft brush?

joe

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2008, 08:00:09 pm »
Why is that then?? is that with a soft brush?

joe

Thanks Ian,

at peekeclean, that's because they leak, and brushing down and low flow would minimize that. You want to have a soft brush for that yes.

NWH

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2008, 09:20:53 pm »

wfp on trad leads I found that low flow rate very low, wipe brush downwards only top to bottom top to bottom and so on and rinse with low flow down
They will leak no matter how you do them,water is like smoke it gets everywhere in all noks and crannys.I do them with my normal flowrate only i clean them quicker,if they leak they leak i`ve tried all of the above to no avail,with the pole the water does the work and if you don`t use enough of it you`ll have problems on all windows not just old leads.Give us another video Ian. ;) ;) ;) ;)

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2008, 09:24:51 pm »

They will leak no matter how you do them,water is like smoke it gets everywhere in all noks and crannys.I do them with my normal flowrate only i clean them quicker,if they leak they leak i`ve tried all of the above to no avail,with the pole the water does the work and if you don`t use enough of it you`ll have problems on all windows not just old leads.Give us another video Ian. ;) ;) ;) ;)
when I work out why mine are coming out pixalated and I can change it I will  ;)

NWH

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2008, 09:26:39 pm »
The video that Alex did came out really well,i`ll have to speak to him about he uses.

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2008, 09:30:14 pm »
The video that Alex did came out really well,i`ll have to speak to him about he uses.
I personally cant understand it, but am working on it, it is clear as day on jvc camcorder, but looks bad when converted to flash, I honestly dont know why it is messing it up, but will find out the answer, if I need to get another camcorder I will, will be little miffed if I do as I paid a few hundred for this one, I am not a director, but I am willing to help people in my time and you should give at least some respect for that m8ty

NWH

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2008, 09:32:01 pm »
I looked at 1 last week that had Youtube capability on it or something,what`s that about. ??? ???

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2008, 09:32:58 pm »
I looked at 1 last week that had Youtube capability on it or something,what`s that about. ??? ???
not a clue yet but will be looking into it, as I hate things getting the better of me  ;)

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2008, 09:15:12 am »
I personally cant understand it, but am working on it, it is clear as day on jvc camcorder, but looks bad when converted to flash, I honestly dont know why it is messing it up, but will find out the answer, if I need to get another camcorder I will, will be little miffed if I do as I paid a few hundred for this one, I am not a director, but I am willing to help people in my time and you should give at least some respect for that m8ty

Convert it to AVI. That might do it.