kirky

Re: Is this true?
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2008, 02:34:30 pm »
i have been told 3 times in 2 weeks that sky men have to bolt the ladder into the wall every climb and then fill the hole in afterwards..

i saw this about 2 weeks ago on a custies house

kris martin

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2008, 05:14:25 pm »
I am not saying ladders are against the law, but if you use em you have to secure em, like these sky people do.

"show me where parliment has passed the law" LOL ignorance.  Google "work at height regulations 2005" and you'll see it.  These are not guidelines, they are regulations, ie if you break em you are working illegally.

We had this argument a few weeks back on here.  I was right then, I am still right now, but numpties would rather attack me than face the facts.  Unless you secure you ladder, you are breaking the law.

Its that simple.

people were attacking you not because of the facts but because of what you say you'll do (grass to HAS) when it wouldnt affect you in the slightest what others do...

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2008, 05:23:13 pm »
if ladders are "ILLEGAL" then why am i paying for for insurance to use them at heights upto 6 mtrs?
work of short duration is fine if reasonable precautions are taken
toilet clean is a troll and does this to obtain reaction
just ignore
maybe one day he will hit puberty or meet a woman/man/goat and shut up

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2008, 05:37:08 pm »
I am not saying ladders are against the law, but if you use em you have to secure em, like these sky people do.

"show me where parliment has passed the law" LOL ignorance.  Google "work at height regulations 2005" and you'll see it.  These are not guidelines, they are regulations, ie if you break em you are working illegally.

We had this argument a few weeks back on here.  I was right then, I am still right now, but numpties would rather attack me than face the facts.  Unless you secure you ladder, you are breaking the law.

Its that simple.

people were attacking you not because of the facts but because of what you say you'll do (grass to HAS) when it wouldnt affect you in the slightest what others do...

I'll second that, tennet you were saying you were going to "hunt down" those who work from ladders and calling them "ladder monkeys"

I do agree though that the ladders have to be secured at the top and bottom, and most people don't.

Those ladder legs look really good.  Can't remember the link now, but they can slide up and down the stiles to requires height and then lock where needed.

j

charltoc

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2008, 05:37:46 pm »
TennetClean  ??? why are you so angry and agressive when you post - were you bullied as a child and this is your way of throwing your weight around ( behind pc )

please take a chill pill or post in a less angry way still stating your facts - the way you go on you would think god put you on this place planet to fight the injustice of traditional window cleaners  ??? ??? ??? ???

have read numerous posts and you irrate a far few..

p.s. hope you had a nice relaxing weekend  ;D ;D ;D ;)

Bobs Window Cleaning

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2008, 06:11:16 pm »
This subject gets more confusing (to me anyway) with every post.

I still use ladders to get on flat roofs without securing them......am I breaking the law? (I use wfp on tops only at the mo)

I never clean windows off double ladders but still use my 6ft pointer for windows just out of reach.....am i breaking the law?

I thought you should use WFP if you can afford it, a viable alternative innit......lots of cleaners cant afford it. That doesn't mean they should be tagged with such venom that they seem to.......especially on here.

Is it that black and white or am I having a blonde moment?

Bob

Why oh Why did he spell my name as bod & not bob on my wedding invites.

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2008, 06:30:39 pm »
bob
not at all mate ;D
i still trad old leaky 18th century windows
why? because wfp makes water pour through onto antique furniture and carpets
my argument for this is that wfp is NOT a viable alternative in this case
so is THAT illegal ???
i will wait for a vist from the h+s boys

Simon_King

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2008, 06:39:30 pm »
I was under the impression that if you use a standoff on the top of your ladder especially the Microlite standoff then you are classed as being secured at the top.
The rubber wheels on the microlite flatten out to anchor you to the wall. If you use a Rojack ladder stopper at the bottom your secure top and bottom AND you have room to work at the top as you are away from the wall/window. Most local authourity workmen use them on their ladders and if council workers are allowed up ladders to work then surely Sky fitters and window cleaners can too!
By the way I'm water fed but dont want ladders banned as I use them as well.We just need to work safely and use the right equipment. Hopefully common sense will prevail.

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2008, 06:42:00 pm »
this must be a new thing for sky fitters, I had one round here 1 year ago he used a ladder and nothing else, I footed it for him as it was windy as hell (I got extra cables and a few other thing for helping the guy) he did not ask me to foot but I did not want bllod on my new patio and he could have damaged my new fence, also I have a heart.

Have this just changed ??

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2008, 06:45:47 pm »
This subject gets more confusing (to me anyway) with every post.

I still use ladders to get on flat roofs without securing them......am I breaking the law? (I use wfp on tops only at the mo)

I never clean windows off double ladders but still use my 6ft pointer for windows just out of reach.....am i breaking the law?

I thought you should use WFP if you can afford it, a viable alternative innit......lots of cleaners cant afford it. That doesn't mean they should be tagged with such venom that they seem to.......especially on here.

Is it that black and white or am I having a blonde moment?

Bob

Thats like saying a plumber won't get corgi registered because he can't afford it.

Bobs Window Cleaning

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2008, 06:49:03 pm »
I thought it was gas men who needed to be corgi registered not plumbers.

Anyway I dont want to start a arguement on here. Its just so confusing ???

I think yer right Ewan.....we/they  use ladders for short durations

Bob

Simon_King

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2008, 06:55:06 pm »
Quote from: Ewan link=topic=56933.msg485624#msg485624 date=1213552081

Chances are you probably break actual law more often when you park your vehicle to clean windows wfp!

[quote

Whats the betting the HSE will turn on hoses on paths, vans parked wrongly and long poles used in a public place next. Not to mention 25 litre drums being 5KG too heavy to lift! :o
AND DONT GET EM STARTED ON MUSCLE STRAIN ON NECK AND SHOULDERS! ;D

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2008, 07:09:22 pm »
I thought it was gas men who needed to be corgi registered not plumbers.

Anyway I dont want to start a arguement on here. Its just so confusing ???

I think yer right Ewan.....we/they  use ladders for short durations

Bob

Ok gas fitters then, but you know what I mean.

I'm not trying to argue either..

I acctually voiced the same question (about affording WFP system) to a HSE officer at Windex.  He replied: I can't say too much at the mo, but watch this space.

Dunno what this meant, but hopefully we'll find out soon!!

Remember, some numpties do put their lives and others' at risk whilst using ladders, and that's what the directives are there to try to sort out.

IMO of course!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bobs Window Cleaning

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2008, 08:35:00 pm »
Sooner we find out the better :o

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2008, 08:38:53 pm »
Sooner we find out the better :o

Have you had a look through the work at height directives from hse?  They're on hse website. www.hse.gov.uk/falls/ladders.htm  On this page you'll find a link to a brief guide to the wahr.