steve m

Re: VAN ENGINE CEASED
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 08:49:31 pm »
have you dipped the oil to see if it was low? Did it make any funny noises or did it just stall. I know these engines tend to blow turbo's pretty reularly, but the engines are normally pretty good

scud

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 08:51:08 pm »
  Have you tried something as simple as putting a fully charged battery on it?
  Start at the simple and cheapest things, I very much doubt it has seized up or done anything serious in 20 seconds.
 Was there any horrible/expensive noises or alot of smoke from the exhaust?

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 08:53:25 pm »
thats not good i just bought a 53 plate citroen re;lay 2.0 hdi...

oh crap

If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

steve m

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2008, 08:59:59 pm »
what youve got to remember is that most of these larger vans were bought brand new by companies like business post, dhl, securicor omega etc, and as such were ragged around the streets for three or so years, the other ones were bought by builders, and well need I say more, so when theyre bought second hand these sort of things have to be taken into account. If youve just bought a 53 plate, who was the first owner?

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2008, 09:10:27 pm »
I don't know much but it sounds odd it should seize when cold i would have thought it more likely when hot. Unless something has come adrift of course.

wightsurf

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2008, 09:11:18 pm »
I may be wrong but if you put a large socket on the bolt where the cam belt is fitted ,out of gear you should be able with a bit of elbow grease to turn the engine over. if it don't move then it's siezed

steve m

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2008, 09:17:04 pm »
just make sure its the bottom pulley, Not the camshaft pulley. If you do the latter you could  slip tooth on the belt, and if it starts it can cause all manner of problems

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2008, 10:13:25 pm »
thats not good i just bought a 53 plate citroen re;lay 2.0 hdi...

oh crap

A local painter (a lazy one) it has not been ragged about thats what I cant understand.

dai

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2008, 10:22:54 pm »
When you tried to bump start it did the engine actually turn? If it did it's not seized. It would stop dead when you took your foot off the clutch if it was.
Having said that, if it was going to seize, 20 seconds after start up and before the oil gets to the cylinder walls would be a likely time. Good luck mate. Dai

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2008, 10:24:31 pm »
Have you got a coded key to turn the ignition? Have you tried the spare key if it is also key coded. If you try using a key that has a faulty chip inside that won't allow you to start the engine. It's just a stupid thought that's overlooked.

Art

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2008, 10:33:35 pm »
Ian, check your emails ;)

Arthur
Sent email back.

You have more mail  :)

stephen.b1

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2008, 12:52:56 am »
you need a qualified person to give a  second opinion and seeing it is already in a garage I very much doubt that a garage owner would let just anybody inspect the engine I think the best thing you could do is to ring the AA and ask for a vehicle report I think its about £45 could save you a packet

windowcleaninginessex.co.uk

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2008, 01:22:29 pm »
If it is just clicking when key is turned sounds like start-a-motor is stuck, get someone to

turn key over and you tap the start-a-motor with hammer, if it is this some times the start-a-

motor frees itself

Darren
---THE BEST YOU CAN GET---
www.windowcleaninginessex.co.uk

RPCCS

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2008, 04:29:35 pm »
If it is just clicking when key is turned sounds like start-a-motor is stuck, get someone to

turn key over and you tap the start-a-motor with hammer, if it is this some times the start-a-

motor frees itself

DarrenIts not starter as it was running when it seized,
Cheers Rich

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2008, 06:45:20 pm »
Bought another egine to day £705  :'( hope to have it tomorrow and van back next week.

This cheered me up a bit, least I am not this bad with cars:

h ttp://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MPff3LcCMfE
just take out the space from above.
Ian