VAN ENGINE CEASED
« on: May 07, 2008, 06:55:11 pm »
Hi, All,

Does ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CITREON relay 2.l HDi 03 plate engine code RHV the engine ceased up when trying to start up, and now when turning of just clicks and nothing at all happens

Am told I need a new engine even though it's only done 40k and serviced reg and they have not had it apart.

My system is on board so need it back asap, I know nothing about vans at all but surely an engine this new cant need another so quick  ::).

Ian

RPCCS

Re: VAN ENGINE CEASED
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 07:01:25 pm »
Get  a 2nd and maybe 3rd opinion, don't take for granted what one garage or mechanic says,if the engine will not turn over,it probably is seized. Have you tried bump starting it?If you don't know what that means I'll explain in next post if you want.
Cheers Rich

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 07:03:50 pm »
Get  a 2nd and maybe 3rd opinion, don't take for granted what one garage or mechanic says,if the engine will not turn over,it probably is seized. Have you tried bump starting it?If you don't know what that means I'll explain in next post if you want.
I did try an bump it but it snapped the rope, my problem is the van does not move, I had to have it towed to garage which is where it is now, I called a guy and he cant understand why they say new(secondhand) engine maybe new valves and belts.  :-\

macmac

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 07:22:17 pm »
Be sure it's not the gearbox that has siezed, look up prices for a re-con engine as i once had one rebuilt & could have bought TWO re-con's for the same price!!

Tony

alanwilson

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 07:28:22 pm »
sounds more like an ignition barrel problem - an auto spark should sort that out for you.  Don't know how much a new barrel is but a lot cheaper than a new engine (very very much doubt its the engine - if it was a timing belt the engine would still try to turn over when you turn the key and you would have heard the commotion of pistons hitting valves etc)

def sounds mre like an electrical fault - don't forget they're a french van, so the electrics are probably at fault.
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

RPCCS

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 07:29:29 pm »
depending on the severity of the seizure,it may be possible to repair the engine, if its block seizure ie pistons weld themselves to cylinder walls, ur looking at either a 2nd hand engine£80-120 + labour + vat. If its valve seizure the cylinder head(top part of engine) will need to be removed and the valves replaced and camshaft re ground.The quickest option 4 u is to get a scrapyard engine and chuck that in,but make sure you get 1 thats been tested.
  The breaker will probably want the original engine in part exchange and you'll probs have to pay a surcharge which is refundable when you return the old unit. If you get 1 "off the shelf it is most likely to be the block only and the engine will need rebuilding.However smaller breakers will have a complete engine that you could just drop in.
Cheers Rich

RPCCS

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 07:32:54 pm »
To determine if its elec, bypass the start switch if you care to ring me on 07757 169 468 I can tell u what to do
Cheers Rich

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 07:33:19 pm »
I am getting prices are secondhand engine upwards of £700 then fitting about £400+vat  :'( :'( :'(

did try phoning but says there is no connection.

Ian

alanwilson

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 07:35:56 pm »
£700 for a secondhand block!!

is it gold?

take a 0 of that, thats what they are worth.

someone take the lad by the hand please before some cowboy robs him.
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 07:38:13 pm »

is it gold?

Thats for the whole engine, and injectors etc.

I dont want to get robbed, I can write on a stamp what I know about vans.

Ian

RPCCS

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 07:40:20 pm »
for that sort of money you could buy a brand new engine
Cheers Rich

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 07:41:39 pm »
for that sort of money you could buy a brand new engine
new engine is £1500 + vat. AND THATS NOT WITH FITTING

RPCCS

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 07:44:17 pm »
Try phoning me again ian have moved phone so its receiving signal now
Cheers Rich

Art

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 07:45:54 pm »
Ian, check your emails ;)

Arthur

matt

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 08:07:42 pm »

is it gold?

70 quid for a new block, even with it being a pooroen, its still going to be more than that

matt

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 08:10:50 pm »
Ian

go to somewhere like find-a-part.com, 247spares.co.uk, findapart.co.uk enter in your details and what you want, then tomorrow you will have 20 breakers phone you up, the first or 2nd, tell them you will get back to them, you will know what price they want for a 2nd engine, the 3rd and 4th and so on, tell you you have just been offered 1 for less than the last, they will soon come down in price

oh and use your credit card, that way if its knackered, you can claim it back from via the CC company

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 08:12:10 pm »

Arthur
Sent email back.

matt

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 08:28:52 pm »
why do i feel the need in the style of the " get a van mount replies "

to add

get a new van

steve m

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 08:31:05 pm »
Let me get this straight, it was trying to start or it had started and then it seized. If it hadnt started up yet I cant see too much of a seriouse problem, try the starter motor, has it seized and jammed in. If it had started how far had you gone, how long had it been running? Have you checked the cam belt to see if it snapped?

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 08:41:50 pm »
Let me get this straight, it was trying to start or it had started and then it seized. If it hadnt started up yet I cant see too much of a seriouse problem, try the starter motor, has it seized and jammed in. If it had started how far had you gone, how long had it been running? Have you checked the cam belt to see if it snapped?
it started in the morning then died less than 20 secs later and did not move from then, I did try bumping it but could not move it, cambelt looks fine..

Getting a new van is not an option I have at the mo, but I do need this one back asap, the car I am using for now is not suitable in anyway for the amount of water per day I need and work is stacked up and more coming in (which is always typical).

IAN

steve m

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 08:49:31 pm »
have you dipped the oil to see if it was low? Did it make any funny noises or did it just stall. I know these engines tend to blow turbo's pretty reularly, but the engines are normally pretty good

scud

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 08:51:08 pm »
  Have you tried something as simple as putting a fully charged battery on it?
  Start at the simple and cheapest things, I very much doubt it has seized up or done anything serious in 20 seconds.
 Was there any horrible/expensive noises or alot of smoke from the exhaust?

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 08:53:25 pm »
thats not good i just bought a 53 plate citroen re;lay 2.0 hdi...

oh crap

If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

steve m

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2008, 08:59:59 pm »
what youve got to remember is that most of these larger vans were bought brand new by companies like business post, dhl, securicor omega etc, and as such were ragged around the streets for three or so years, the other ones were bought by builders, and well need I say more, so when theyre bought second hand these sort of things have to be taken into account. If youve just bought a 53 plate, who was the first owner?

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2008, 09:10:27 pm »
I don't know much but it sounds odd it should seize when cold i would have thought it more likely when hot. Unless something has come adrift of course.

wightsurf

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2008, 09:11:18 pm »
I may be wrong but if you put a large socket on the bolt where the cam belt is fitted ,out of gear you should be able with a bit of elbow grease to turn the engine over. if it don't move then it's siezed

steve m

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2008, 09:17:04 pm »
just make sure its the bottom pulley, Not the camshaft pulley. If you do the latter you could  slip tooth on the belt, and if it starts it can cause all manner of problems

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2008, 10:13:25 pm »
thats not good i just bought a 53 plate citroen re;lay 2.0 hdi...

oh crap

A local painter (a lazy one) it has not been ragged about thats what I cant understand.

dai

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2008, 10:22:54 pm »
When you tried to bump start it did the engine actually turn? If it did it's not seized. It would stop dead when you took your foot off the clutch if it was.
Having said that, if it was going to seize, 20 seconds after start up and before the oil gets to the cylinder walls would be a likely time. Good luck mate. Dai

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2008, 10:24:31 pm »
Have you got a coded key to turn the ignition? Have you tried the spare key if it is also key coded. If you try using a key that has a faulty chip inside that won't allow you to start the engine. It's just a stupid thought that's overlooked.

Art

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2008, 10:33:35 pm »

Arthur
Sent email back.

You have more mail  :)

stephen.b1

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2008, 12:52:56 am »
you need a qualified person to give a  second opinion and seeing it is already in a garage I very much doubt that a garage owner would let just anybody inspect the engine I think the best thing you could do is to ring the AA and ask for a vehicle report I think its about £45 could save you a packet

windowcleaninginessex.co.uk

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2008, 01:22:29 pm »
If it is just clicking when key is turned sounds like start-a-motor is stuck, get someone to

turn key over and you tap the start-a-motor with hammer, if it is this some times the start-a-

motor frees itself

Darren
---THE BEST YOU CAN GET---
www.windowcleaninginessex.co.uk

RPCCS

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2008, 04:29:35 pm »
If it is just clicking when key is turned sounds like start-a-motor is stuck, get someone to

turn key over and you tap the start-a-motor with hammer, if it is this some times the start-a-

motor frees itself

DarrenIts not starter as it was running when it seized,
Cheers Rich

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2008, 06:45:20 pm »
Bought another egine to day £705  :'( hope to have it tomorrow and van back next week.

This cheered me up a bit, least I am not this bad with cars:

h ttp://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MPff3LcCMfE
just take out the space from above.
Ian