Poll

does wfp look down on trad?

yes
no

NWH

Re: window cleaning snobbery
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2008, 08:52:19 pm »
100% agree,there are so many bad WFPolers out there it`s unreal.

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2008, 08:58:43 pm »
true
plenty of bad trad too ;D
takes only minutes to learn
takes a while to perfect it tho
How can you possibly be a window cleaner if you can't clean trad?

Why not? I have round of 220 monthly customers and I have never even held trad tools, never mind used them. I suspect trad skills will become a speciality as newcomers to the job will pick up the pole and off they go. If they don't have an overwhelming need to learn trad, they won't.

I suspect if you asked any of my 220 customers to describe what I do for them they would say he is my 'window cleaner'.
and how do you do insides
unless you dont
in which case you are missing out on a small but useful aspect of the work

groundhog

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2008, 09:04:51 pm »

unless you dont

I hate it when a customer asks me to clean the insides, I always charge 50% extra but this really isn't enough to compensate for the extra time it takes to clean the insides!!!!!!! :( I'm seriously thinking about refusing to do this in future to all but my best customers!!!

Mike_G

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2008, 09:09:13 pm »

I've got WFP, use it everywhere I possibly can, but there is hardly a day goes by where I don't use my trad tools.

So no snobbery from me.

As for sign written vans and uniforms...is there some reason you can't be wholly trad and have the same thing?
They are two things that improve your image, regardless of whether or not you have WFP, wish I done it years ago now :-\

Ian

Spot on Ian.

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2008, 09:26:25 pm »

unless you dont

I hate it when a customer asks me to clean the insides, I always charge 50% extra but this really isn't enough to compensate for the extra time it takes to clean the insides!!!!!!! :( I'm seriously thinking about refusing to do this in future to all but my best customers!!!
i dont mind it
offices,car showrooms,a couple of swimming pools are regular ones
must say some domestic ones aint so pleasant
especially SMOKERS >:( >:( (tfr in the bucket helps to cut thru it)
i now charge 50 to 100% extra depending(usually on whether they SMOKE)
also make sure they clear sills and move furniture etc.
sometimes tho i think there may be chance of charging even more for internal
i know what you mean about it seeming to take too long
the ones who follow you round talking are worst ::)

davids3511

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2008, 11:53:13 pm »
true
plenty of bad trad too ;D
takes only minutes to learn
takes a while to perfect it tho

Why not? I have round of 220 monthly customers and I have never even held trad tools, never mind used them. I suspect trad skills will become a speciality as newcomers to the job will pick up the pole and off they go. If they don't have an overwhelming need to learn trad, they won't.

I suspect if you asked any of my 220 customers to describe what I do for them they would say he is my 'window cleaner'.
unless you dont

I don't really worry about not being able to do insides at the moment. I have enought to keep me busy and am looking to up my customer count to about the 300 mark in the next few months. To earn a decent wage I don't really need to do insides and I think I have only been asked twice. Both times I said I could do them but in the end didn't need to.

That's not to say I won't learn how to do it. I agree it is certainly better to know how than to not know how.

mr D

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2008, 12:14:52 am »
i'm sick of reading the words 'ladder monkeys' and 'mug for climbing a ladder'

i'm sorry but i RUN up and down them all day long and fookin love it!! i'm super fit, look awazing with me shirt off, and feel free in the open air.

i used to work wfp from time to time and hated it. always getting complants and felt fat and lazy after a days work needing to go for a long run after.

wfp is a smashing invention and well has its place in todays 'nanny state' we live in but the pilocks that slag off trad w/c SHOULD be banned as it is VERY counter productive the this dieing inderstry!!

Londoner

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2008, 07:18:53 am »

That is very true. I have picked up work after a couple of WFP users and I had a job to comvince the customers that I could do it better with mine.

when I was driving the taxi I used to see quite a few around and it gave me a lot of chances to see how they did it.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2008, 07:31:43 am »

That is very true. I have picked up work after a couple of WFP users and I had a job to comvince the customers that I could do it better with mine.

when I was driving the taxi I used to see quite a few around and it gave me a lot of chances to see how they did it.

I recently lost the chance at a big apartment job because the last guys who went in there used WFP and didn't know how to use it. Now they'd rather pay twice the price and get cherry pickers in than ever see a pole used ag >:( >:(ain!

davids3511

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2008, 10:56:07 am »
Having been trad for so many years, I certainly don't think I'm any better now I have gone WFP.
Same guy, just a different method that's all.

I watched a guy last week using WFP, he had a van mount with a 100 psi Flojet, pushing water out at such a rate I could hear the water hitting the glass from 40 meters away. He had garden hose running to his pole hose, and that must have been 8mm diameter. This was a totally unrestricted flow, and to make things worse one of his jets was blocked. I am not kidding a single jet of water was landing 25 ft away from his brush. This guy wasn't rinsing, he was power washing. Brickwork, vents, everywhere was getting blasted. He then said that WFP was not all it's cracked up to be, he had been getting complaints.
I know for a fact that he has never learned trad methods, he does insides with a spray bottle and microfiber cloth.

Hi Dai

I don't think that has anything to do with not learning trad. There are cowboys in every industry and I know of a few trad guys around my way that fall into that catagory.

I never learned trad but I can appreciate whether a window is clean or not. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that a jet of water coming from your brush that would run a jet ski is going to go places you don't want it to. If he has been getting complaints and has changed nothing, then he doesn't care about the finished product. He just wants the cash, you can't blame that on his lack of trad skills.

When I started I posted a few topics to this forum asking why was it taking me so long to do the job and when would it get quicker. I was very frustrated and it was taking me up to an hour sometimes to do a 3 bed semi. Most who replied assured me I would get quicker and I did, so much so I have finished my round 3 days early this time so I have a little time to post here at 11am. The reason I was taking so long was because I was determined to do a top notch job, not an 'it's ok' job. I only ever got one complaint and I believe that was pecause she didn't want to pay the money, not because of a poor job.

stig

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2008, 06:09:41 pm »
 :D  back end of a soiled fiesta mag   ----still laughing mate.......avnt used one of those for yrs......

rather read um now...lol
dont crap on people on theway up,you might meet um on the way down...

john morris

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2008, 06:16:59 pm »
No snobbery from me ,

INFACT more people are jumpin on the bandwaggon and becoming w/c because of wfp.

Half of these wouldnt know what to do with a pad & blade,

::)

dai

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2008, 08:04:08 pm »
There are little things you learn when your trad that give you a head start with WFP.
Take letterbox runs as one example, it's easy to wade in with WFP and leave the glass wet, you would be long gone before the runs became visible.
I think there are more jobs lost through doing front doors WFP than any other reason. I am not saying you can't do them, but you have to be selective about which ones you do.
Same with slightly open windows left on the catch, some are designed in a way that won't let the rain in, you can carefully WFP  the openers above these, but some you can't.
As long as newbie WFP users are careful, and take the time to think about the job, they should be fine.
We had the benefit of good WFP advice from others on this forum, others went for proper training,
 but without these or at least a good grounding in trad work, it's very easy to give wfp a bad press.
The guy I watched may have been better employed in the fire service.
If there is any snobbery, it's between those of us that always try and do a first class job, and those that give our profession a bad name. Dai

paulm

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2008, 09:00:44 pm »
i think you all need to get a life! have been in this business for 26yrs trad & wfp. why should anybody care what we do for a living or how we go about it.I earn a very decent living from it, much more than my friends who are in upper management positions,and they yearn for my lifestyle- little stress,good pay,little restriction. We all go to work for one reason only.- as a means to an end.that is to support our families and fulfil the lifestyles that we want. so don't lose sight of the important things in life. it aint a competition.window cleaner/bank manager/police officer/tax inspector we are all the same.

groundhog

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2008, 10:03:26 pm »

window cleaner/bank manager/police officer/tax inspector we are all the same.

No we aint!!!!!!!!!!! We are all different!  ;)